Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft keyboards are broken? Conspiracy to kill PC gaming?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Atleast on the Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard, you can press at most 2 keys down at a time.

When the keys in upper case are pressed simultaneously, the keys in lower case do not respond. There are other combinations as well.
    QsdfG (azerty)
    AoeuI (dvorak)
    AsdfG (qwerty)

I and the IBM PC keyboard standard think it's pretty reasonable to expect that if you have 10 fingers you can, atleast in limited area, press any combination of 10 keys down at once.

Oh wait, I did find one person who manages with two keys.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

If it's a wireless keyboard it doesn't surprise me. But I don't think it's a conspiracy:

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence".

Probably just sloppy work as a result of a short development cycle.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Keyboard manufacturers ditched the IBM specification for n-key rollover a long time ago (to reduce manufacturing and development costs).  If you want to be able to do it, you're going to have to get yourself a pretty expensive keyboard:  the kind of behavior that you're seeing is normal (although which keys won't work in combination with others varies from keyboard to keyboard, depending on how the circuitry is designed and how the controller handles keystrokes).

• User profile image
    Bass

Dude, why is everything a conspiracy for you?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Keyboard manufacturers ditched the IBM specification for n-key rollover a long time ago (to reduce manufacturing and development costs).  If you want to be able to do it, you're going to have to get yourself a pretty expensive keyboard:  the kind of behavior that you're seeing is normal (although which keys won't work in combination with others varies from keyboard to keyboard, depending on how the circuitry is designed and how the controller handles keystrokes).
    "n-key rollover"?

This intregies me. Explain.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

W3bbo said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    "n-key rollover"?

This intregies me. Explain.
    Wikipedia can explain better than I can.

• User profile image
    androidi

I did find a company that claim recognition of all keys at once unfortunately they entirely forgot to add the following keys: calculator , forward/back navigation, play,stop,next,previous, mute, vol up/down and preferably two wheels, for seeking (audio) and scrolling. I shouldn't need to buy a dozen products for basic io. (the $150 keyboard actually has usb hub and audio io instead of these multimedia keys.. doh)

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

androidi said:

I did find a company that claim recognition of all keys at once unfortunately they entirely forgot to add the following keys: calculator , forward/back navigation, play,stop,next,previous, mute, vol up/down and preferably two wheels, for seeking (audio) and scrolling. I shouldn't need to buy a dozen products for basic io. (the $150 keyboard actually has usb hub and audio io instead of these multimedia keys.. doh)

It's not hard to add support for all the keys, it's just a more complex circuitry, and consequently more expensive. Given that most people can make do with four at the same time and would rather bank the $20, it's unsurprising that this isn't a feature that stayed around for long.

• User profile image
    stevo_

evildictaitor said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*
    It's not hard to add support for all the keys, it's just a more complex circuitry, and consequently more expensive. Given that most people can make do with four at the same time and would rather bank the $20, it's unsurprising that this isn't a feature that stayed around for long.
    You're all wrong.. its a conspirecy to kill the president.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.