Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Confirmed: Water on Mars

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles
  • User profile image
    littleguru

That's really awesome. I wonder what they find next Smiley

• User profile image
    Red5

Yes, very excellent.

Wonder if life, or remnants thereof, will be next.

• User profile image
    dahat

littleguru said:
    The source?

• User profile image
    Dovella

is drinkable?

• User profile image
    Bas

I liked the comment frrom that NASA guy. "We tasted it, and it tastes very, very fine."

Awesome discovery.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Dovella said:
    is drinkable?
    No. The salt level of the ice on mars is such that it would kill bacteria immediately and would damage the way that viruses reproduce. So no.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

evildictaitor said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    No. The salt level of the ice on mars is such that it would kill bacteria immediately and would damage the way that viruses reproduce. So no.
    I have no words, our solar system is the best, or not Wink

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

evildictaitor said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    But the viruses wouldn't be able to reproduce anyway without bacteria Wink

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

littleguru said:
    a portal to another world would be awesome Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

dahat said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    The source?

This one is much more fun Wink

• User profile image
    eagle

Maddus Mattus said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

This one is much more fun Wink
    Going to Mars for a cool drink

• User profile image
    Minh

eagle said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    Going to Mars for a cool drink
    This is not actually the big news. We've know for years that Mars has water ice at the poles,

http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/docs/rst/Sect19/mars.jpg

It's what's form the ice water is underground, or what we see when we taste the water. Hopefully tiny little bugs. Or their remnants.

Also, a gripe.

Maybe it's a look into how Google run their Google Mars project, but the Phoenix lander isn't even listed as a spacecraft on Mars.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Minh said:
    eagle said:
    *snip*
    This is not actually the big news. We've know for years that Mars has water ice at the poles,

It's what's form the ice water is underground, or what we see when we taste the water. Hopefully tiny little bugs. Or their remnants.

Also, a gripe.

Maybe it's a look into how Google run their Google Mars project, but the Phoenix lander isn't even listed as a spacecraft on Mars.
    Minh, yea but every time NASA goes to Mars they try to create a story about finding water, in order to get some headlines, since if there was no story, the press would largely ignore NASA efforts. They want to stay in the public eye so they can get continued support for funding.

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

Minh said:
    eagle said:
    *snip*

Also, a gripe.

Well, we haven't actually known for a fact have we - it hasn't been confirmed like this before. Personally I think this is brilliant. I just can't wait until we can send a probe to Europa. Hopefully then we'll find out if there really is a sub-surface water ocean beneath the ice.  Or send a probe to Enceladus where we will hopefully find that the geysers that contain water vapour are coming from a water ocean deep beneath the ice.

Yeah we've known that water vapour and water ice exist elsewhere in our solar system for sometime but this is still good news. When does the terraforming begin? Smiley

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    Well, we haven't actually known for a fact have we - it hasn't been confirmed like this before. Personally I think this is brilliant. I just can't wait until we can send a probe to Europa. Hopefully then we'll find out if there really is a sub-surface water ocean beneath the ice.  Or send a probe to Enceladus where we will hopefully find that the geysers that contain water vapour are coming from a water ocean deep beneath the ice.

Yeah we've known that water vapour and water ice exist elsewhere in our solar system for sometime but this is still good news. When does the terraforming begin? Smiley
    spongebob,

have you read about liquid ethane being confirmed on Titan?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

GoddersUK said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    But the viruses wouldn't be able to reproduce anyway without bacteria Wink
    What viruses? What bacteria? You're talking about earth organiams? Anything growing on another planet would adapt to it's surroundings. We have things living in sulfuric acid on Earth, and things living in a zero oxygen environment.

Never say never when it comes to evolution.

• User profile image
    Charles

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

As the Mars scientists state, this means that there was more than likely LOTS of water present on the surface of Mars at some point in its history. Add this finding to the water-formed valley and ridges at the surface of the planet and you can hypothesize that, at some point in it's evolution, Mars had oceans of water on its surface. Could this mean that life existed at some point in Martian history? Well, yes, indeed it could. It depends on how you define life. Is it a geologic autochonous property? Time will tell. If they detect DNA (or RNA) or they detect some exotic form of bacteria or something that appears to be cellular in nature, then we'll finally have comfirmation that life is a universal property, not a freak accident of time, gas and dust...

C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.