Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

In which language microsoft is developing longhorn?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JDanielSmith

Beer28 wrote:
    msemack wrote:

[...]
    The kernel-mode bits of Windows are mostly written in C.  There is a little bit of x86 assembly language for some platform-specific things.
    [...]

I think it has a fair amount of C, but is mostly in asm.

I don't think there is anything in modern Windows that is "mostly asm".

Windows NT ran on the MIPS and Alpha chips, that got rid of most of the assembly.  More recently we have 64-bit Windows running on various 64-bit chips.

Optimizaiton technology is to the point such that both C and C++ can be compiled into very efficient code.

• User profile image
    Rossj

LarryOsterman wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:As per usual, the majority of the code will be written in Microsoft's "interpretation" of C++

"Interpretation"?  Why is Microsoft's C++ compiler any more non-standard than anyone else's C++ compiler?

But almost all of Windows is either C or C++.  There's a bunch of managed code there as well, both C# and managec C++, fwiw.

Ignore him Larry, he's never been near a C compiler in his life ..  he's just picked up on the new extensions and thinks it makes it non-standard, when in fact even GCC has extensions through using __attribute__ (as you probably know).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

pwzeus wrote:
    Hey , what do u mean they ahve restarted longhorn from windows 2003 as the base ?

Actually, I think that's wrong. Longhorn was originally based on Win2k3, but they recently restarted using XPSP2 as the base. At least, that's what I've heard.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Beer28 wrote:

Beer,
      There's maybe 8 or 9 files of assembly language source code in the entire OS.  Almost none of Windows is written in assembly language.  Windows 3.x had a fair amount of assembly language, but Windows NT has never had very much.

There IS some, for example, some of the multimedia pipelines use MMX and SSE instructions (which aren't normally emitted by the compiler), but that's about it.

And everything that's written in assembly language has a C or C++ equivilant for non x86/x64 platforms.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

LarryOsterman wrote:
    Beer28 wrote:

Beer,
      There's maybe 8 or 9 files of assembly language source code in the entire OS.  Almost none of Windows is written in assembly language.  Windows 3.x had a fair amount of assembly language, but Windows NT has never had very much.

There IS some, for example, some of the multimedia pipelines use MMX and SSE instructions (which aren't normally emitted by the compiler), but that's about it.

And everything that's written in assembly language has a C or C++ equivilant for non x86/x64 platforms.

I couldn't imagine trying to maintain a platform as large as Windows working in assembly all day long.  For some of the smaller, older operating systems this was true, especially when you were limited to 64K and you had to squeeze out every last bit of performance.

• User profile image
    rhm

Some people seem to forget that MS used to ship NT on 4 completely different platforms (x86, MIPS, Alpha, PowerPC).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.