Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

.NET Framework Assistant

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • csv

What is this Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 add-on that has been installed in my Firefox browser as a part of SP1? I don't remember authorizing the modification of other software on my computer when I installed SP1. And how come there is no way to uninstall it? Why does Microsoft do this kind of stuff? Come on Microsoft, this is not right!!

• figuerres

it's a firefox extension that allows a CLickOnce installer work with the FireFox web browser.

• kettch

You authorized it when you installed SP1. The extension is clearly described in the ClickOnce section of the SP1 feature list. We all read feature lists, changelogs and release notes very carefully whenever we install something this significant, right?

Technically, Microsoft didn't modify a single bit of Firefox. It just dropped the extension where Firefox could find it.

• blowdart

kettch said:
    You authorized it when you installed SP1. The extension is clearly described in the ClickOnce section of the SP1 feature list. We all read feature lists, changelogs and release notes very carefully whenever we install something this significant, right?

Technically, Microsoft didn't modify a single bit of Firefox. It just dropped the extension where Firefox could find it.
    Nice, but I already had an extension for that; I would (as the original post would have) liked more warning.

I wonder why it's not on the Mozilla plugins site though; that would allow more rapid updating when Firefox breaks their plugin model again.

• wisemx

blowdart said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    Nice, but I already had an extension for that; I would (as the original post would have) liked more warning.

I wonder why it's not on the Mozilla plugins site though; that would allow more rapid updating when Firefox breaks their plugin model again.
    You got that right Bro...Every freakin time I start FF3 it finds a new update.

• csv

kettch said:

What were my choices? Install SP1 with ClickOnce or don't install SP1. These are not viable choices. If they insist on installing it, then they should provide a way to uninstall it. I had to hack the registry to remove it.

• PaoloM

csv said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    What were my choices? Install SP1 with ClickOnce or don't install SP1. These are not viable choices. If they insist on installing it, then they should provide a way to uninstall it. I had to hack the registry to remove it.

Were you not able to disable it from FF?

• figuerres

PaoloM said:
    csv said:
    *snip*

Were you not able to disable it from FF?

I think the point is that the install should have

a) told the user what it wanted to do.
    b) given the user the option of not doing it.

and then let the user decide.

• wiyosaya

Delete \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension

Problem solved.

• qsdqsd

wiyosaya said:
    Delete \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension

Problem solved.
    Note that this intrusive add-on also modify your Firefox useragent : it add ".NET (CLR 3.5.30729)" at the end.
    To clear it : edit your pref.js in your firefox profile and remove the line MS added.

Other cleaning : a registry key was created in :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions

• Yakko Warner

kettch said:

Erm, this just dropped with Windows Update, automatically, with no warning or pre-authorization or feature list or anything.

Might have gone mostly unnoticed, too, if Firefox didn't pop up a dialog box on startup anytime a new plug-in is installed.

This isn't cool.

• bluey

figuerres said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I think the point is that the install should have

a) told the user what it wanted to do.
    b) given the user the option of not doing it.

and then let the user decide.

Yes, that would have been a very nice way of doing it.

I'm an IT pro and read most of the small print of the stuff I install... but this got past me anyway. Tongue Out <sigh> Off we go to hack it away!

EDIT: Wow, the net has literally exploded with posts about this. I bet that wasn't the intention... but maybe the critique doesn't help anyway.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.