Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Guru

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Interesting, look what I found on Facebook today: http://www.msretaillive.com/ - Does someone know more about it?

• User profile image
    La Bomba

As far as what I can tell, it's just retail positions for selling and promoting MS products contracted out by Microsoft.

Basically MS is trying to copy Apple's Genius Bar.

• User profile image
    kettch

La Bomba said:
    As far as what I can tell, it's just retail positions for selling and promoting MS products contracted out by Microsoft.

Basically MS is trying to copy Apple's Genius Bar.
    I hope they don't try too hard. Some of the worst tech support stories I've ever heard come from those guys.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

When I click the link, Opera gives me a fraud warning that the site has been reported as fraudulent.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

TommyCarlier said:
    When I click the link, Opera gives me a fraud warning that the site has been reported as fraudulent.
    Whoa, that's scary.  Especially considering how easily and willingly people will give up their identity information when looking for employment.  Beware identity theft!

• User profile image
    mawcc

JChung2006 said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Whoa, that's scary.  Especially considering how easily and willingly people will give up their identity information when looking for employment.  Beware identity theft!

I also get several JavaScript errors when opening the application form.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Italy no avaiable!
    Sorry
     Wink

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

mawcc said:
    JChung2006 said:
    *snip*

I also get several JavaScript errors when opening the application form.

Question 14:

Do you own any of the following;

So we can rob your house when you are not at home,.. kkthnx byebye

Question 20:

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

So when we rob your house we don't run into an ex-convict with a gun!

Registrant:
       Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
       Domain Name: MSWINDOWSGURU.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
          NS57.1AND1.COM
          NS58.1AND1.COM

See Business Registration Listing
       Copy and paste the link below to view additional details:
       http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?domain=MSWINDOWSGURU.COM

Doesnt look very legit to me,...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Maddus Mattus said:
    mawcc said:
    *snip*
    Question 14:

Do you own any of the following;

So we can rob your house when you are not at home,.. kkthnx byebye

Question 20:

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

So when we rob your house we don't run into an ex-convict with a gun!

Registrant:
       Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
       Domain Name: MSWINDOWSGURU.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
          NS57.1AND1.COM
          NS58.1AND1.COM

See Business Registration Listing
       Copy and paste the link below to view additional details:
       http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?domain=MSWINDOWSGURU.COM

Doesnt look very legit to me,...
    Yeah, I don't trust the site either. Like you showed, the domain names are registered by "Domains by Proxy", which is used by people who want to stay anonymous. And this is the first site Opera has ever warned me about being a fraudulent site. It has been actively reported as fraudulent.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

TommyCarlier said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, I don't trust the site either. Like you showed, the domain names are registered by "Domains by Proxy", which is used by people who want to stay anonymous. And this is the first site Opera has ever warned me about being a fraudulent site. It has been actively reported as fraudulent.
    I don't trust it either. I just reported it using IE7's phishing filter so MS can take a look at it.

• User profile image
    hyperexchan​ge

I don't think this is a phishing attempt, since when you go to actually apply for the job, it redirects you to "The Eleven Agency" (jobs.t11a.com), which appears to be a legitimate company despite them being hosted at 1&1 and having private registration.

Also, this company appears to be the creator of the website: http://www.chaione.com/houston_website_design_clients.shtml

The job postings are also scattered all over the different job sites (i.e. HotJobs, CareerBuilder, etc...)

• User profile image
    dscrizzy

no its not a bad website, if u read up on many sites they are now placing gurus in best buys and circuit cities.  I'm actually going to become one and i used the site to apply, if u go to the eleven agency they market many different companies, not only ms.  Anyway i don't think microsoft would let a scam site run for very long especially when they use the ms name like that.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

dscrizzy said:
    no its not a bad website, if u read up on many sites they are now placing gurus in best buys and circuit cities.  I'm actually going to become one and i used the site to apply, if u go to the eleven agency they market many different companies, not only ms.  Anyway i don't think microsoft would let a scam site run for very long especially when they use the ms name like that.
    To be honest I find your argument a bit dispersuasive - I mean, there's not a drop of punctuation and grammer is awful, and to me you seem like a hired hand used to promote the site rather than a genuine user.

Smells fishy.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Lloyd_Humph said:
    dscrizzy said:
    *snip*
    To be honest I find your argument a bit dispersuasive - I mean, there's not a drop of punctuation and grammer is awful, and to me you seem like a hired hand used to promote the site rather than a genuine user.

Smells fishy.
    I need to say, I've read on a couple of blogs "Windows Gurus" was something created by mircosoft. Really, the New York Times mentioned it:
    http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2008/09/06/business/06soft02.ready.html

• User profile image
    dscrizzy

No, I'm not a hired hand I'm just to lazy to fix my punctuation.  I was doing some scam hunting on the site when I first applied because it seemed to good to be true, then I found this forum after I received my first response and just wanted to let you guys know it's not fake.  I could care less if you guys apply, hell i don't care about ms myself, I just think getting 20 bux an hr is good to just speak to people all day. 
    Anyway check out this article here.

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

Lloyd_Humph said:
    dscrizzy said:
    *snip*

Smells fishy.
    I think saying that he might be a "hired hand" is going a bit too far. He's just trying to say that he heard it wasn't a scam from a source he considers to be reliable and therefore wants to contribute to the discussion by explaining this.

On the other hand, it would be nice to know just how legitimate this really is. I mean, has anyone actually been hired yet? And is this an initiative by Microsoft, or another company (and if so, why would another company be interested in employing "Windows Gurus" unless they are representing Microsoft and hiring people for them).

• User profile image
    dscrizzy

Jon Monreal said:
    Lloyd_Humph said:
    *snip*
    I think saying that he might be a "hired hand" is going a bit too far. He's just trying to say that he heard it wasn't a scam from a source he considers to be reliable and therefore wants to contribute to the discussion by explaining this.

On the other hand, it would be nice to know just how legitimate this really is. I mean, has anyone actually been hired yet? And is this an initiative by Microsoft, or another company (and if so, why would another company be interested in employing "Windows Gurus" unless they are representing Microsoft and hiring people for them).
    Well so far I have had one interview where they asked me to demonstrate a piece of technology.  They happened to like me and scheduled a 2nd interview with me this coming Thursday where I will have to demonstrate windows live space (a rip off of myspace) and I think demonstrate my product once again in front of MS executives.  If you want, I can tell you if I get the job or not and then you will kind of know someone who got hired, allegedly at least lol.  Oh yeah and most of your questions are in the article I asked everyone to check out.

• User profile image
    Laura10

dscrizzy said:
    Jon Monreal said:
    *snip*
    Well so far I have had one interview where they asked me to demonstrate a piece of technology.  They happened to like me and scheduled a 2nd interview with me this coming Thursday where I will have to demonstrate windows live space (a rip off of myspace) and I think demonstrate my product once again in front of MS executives.  If you want, I can tell you if I get the job or not and then you will kind of know someone who got hired, allegedly at least lol.  Oh yeah and most of your questions are in the article I asked everyone to check out.
    Here is your answer....I went and interviewed the Gurus:

http://www.on10.net/blogs/laura/Meet-the-Windows-Gurus/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.