Coffeehouse Thread

128 posts

IE 8 Beta 2!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Charles

Here.
    C

PS: Learn about the new dev tools for IE8 here.

• PerfectPhase

Installing now!!!

EDIT:  Excellent!   very quick and smooth install.   Wow C9 flys now!!

• Bas

Deleting items from the address bar's autocomplete list. Fi. Nal. Ly.

Awesome!

Edit: whoa. Inline Search. I was all ready to jump up and go "And still that lame search dialog." Tongue Out

• Charles

Bas said:
    Deleting items from the address bar's autocomplete list. Fi. Nal. Ly.

Awesome!

Edit: whoa. Inline Search. I was all ready to jump up and go "And still that lame search dialog." Tongue Out
    I LOVE the new compat experience. No longer do you need to restart the browser and the compat button is next to the refresh button. It's freaking awesome.

Impressive release.
    C

• Dovella

Super THX!!

• PerfectPhase

Charles said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    I LOVE the new compat experience. No longer do you need to restart the browser and the compat button is next to the refresh button. It's freaking awesome.

Impressive release.
    C

The address autocomplete/dropdown is pretty sweet too.

• bitdisaster

PerfectPhase said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

The address autocomplete/dropdown is pretty sweet too.
    A lot of nice features!!!!
    But still no download manager???
    Not installed yet, just looked through the feature list.

Please say they just forgot about it in the feature list.

• stevo_

section31 said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*
    A lot of nice features!!!!
    But still no download manager???
    Not installed yet, just looked through the feature list.

Please say they just forgot about it in the feature list.
    Source viewer too? oooo (unless that was in the first beta, dunno - I didn't go nuts over it myself).. this one is a nice improvement - having the broken page icon for pages running in the new standards mode is a much nicer experience.. lots of good experience/polish improvements..

How is IE8 being distributed? recommended update on WU? low priority?

• PerfectPhase

stevo_ said:
    section31 said:
    *snip*
    Source viewer too? oooo (unless that was in the first beta, dunno - I didn't go nuts over it myself).. this one is a nice improvement - having the broken page icon for pages running in the new standards mode is a much nicer experience.. lots of good experience/polish improvements..

Crash recovery works well! Wink

• Bas

stevo_ said:
    section31 said:
    *snip*

I'm not too keen on the fact that you can't edit the source in the source viewer anymore.

Another nitpick: inline search is a gift sent from above, but it sill annoys me. Why? Because it only scrolls the document just far enough to bring the found result into view. So if I want to read the sentence that word is in, I have to click elsewhere, scroll down a bit, and read. Aw, drat, it's not what I was looking for. Next result. Wait, the search box doesn't have focus anymore because I scrolled. Click. Great, another sentence that's only half into view. Click the document, scroll. Nope. Rinse, repeat.

All this would simply be solved by not just scrolling into view, but scrolling into the center of the view. Am I really the only one that gets annoyed by this?

• stevo_

PerfectPhase said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Crash recovery works well! Wink

Opening a tab offers a list of recently closed tabs too, although thats just history I think thats a neat touch..

Edit: also regarding the new find the ctrl + backspace is putting in out of range characters instead of deleting the last word.. aparently that wasn't an official feature for windows controls, but just an ad-hoc standard.. but seriously - how is putting in invisible characters a better alternative..

• Charles

Restarting most recent session is also a nice touch.
    C

• littleguru

Charles said:
    Restarting most recent session is also a nice touch.
    C
    OMG OMG OMG OMG... downloading.

• jamie

Bas said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    I'm not too keen on the fact that you can't edit the source in the source viewer anymore.

Another nitpick: inline search is a gift sent from above, but it sill annoys me. Why? Because it only scrolls the document just far enough to bring the found result into view. So if I want to read the sentence that word is in, I have to click elsewhere, scroll down a bit, and read. Aw, drat, it's not what I was looking for. Next result. Wait, the search box doesn't have focus anymore because I scrolled. Click. Great, another sentence that's only half into view. Click the document, scroll. Nope. Rinse, repeat.

All this would simply be solved by not just scrolling into view, but scrolling into the center of the view. Am I really the only one that gets annoyed by this?
    re:  I'm not too keen on the fact that you can't edit the source in the source viewer anymore.

WHAT??  you cant view source - notepad / change / save / refresh local anymore????

• Bas

jamie said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    re:  I'm not too keen on the fact that you can't edit the source in the source viewer anymore.

WHAT??  you cant view source - notepad / change / save / refresh local anymore????
    Not that I can see.

• BlackTiger

Wow! It's fast!
    Even "close tab" button now fixed! It doesn't uses "MouseDown" event anymore! Hurray!

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • Bas

Those visual search things are amazing. At least, the Wikipedia one is, because I can't seem to find the Amazon one. And the installation process for the Wikipedia provider was pretty unintuitive. First I had to install the regular Wikipedia search provider (which doesn't provide the visual results), and then I had to incidentally notice that there was a 'better' search provider to replace the one I just installed, which did come up with the visual results. That's a problem. I'd guess 80% of the users are going to be completely oblivious of that feature if they have to install it themselves via a "Install a search provider, you get nothing, now install this one that's better but doesn't explain why, now you get cool search results" install process.

Will the final version come with a pre-installed Wikipedia Visual Search provider? And how on earth do I install the right one for Amazon?

• webmonkey

littleguru said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*
    OMG OMG OMG OMG... downloading.
    Wahey! Looking better than beta1, and the big PITA bug I had with one of my sites is now solved.

The buttons (design/html/preview) below this editor appear a bit borked though Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.