Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Getting Noticed!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sm_cohen

Does anyone have a hook to get into a program/product/project management slot in Redmond?  I have submitted 75 applications on the careers site and ended up 0 for 75!!  What does it take to get noticed?

PROFILE:

Dynamic, results-driven management professional with ten years of progressive experience developing and executing information technology initiatives.  Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, strategic vision and tactical execution to consistently reduce costs, impact business and bottom-line goals.  Seasoned project manager and engineer with expertise in all phases of systems development, implementation, and deployment in large-scale, complex organizations.  Strong leader able to manage and motivate cross-functional teams.

SKILLS:

PROJECT MANAGEMENT
    PROCESS DEVELOPMENT
    TECHNICAL CONSULTING
    STRATEGIC PLANNING
    CONTRACT NEGOTIATION
    SYSTEM DESIGN/IMPLEMENTATION
    CLIENT RELATIONS
    NETWORK OVERSIGHT
    TEAM LEADERSHIP

• User profile image
    NetRyder

My recruiter sent me the decision four days after I got back from Redmond. If you don't receive an email or phonecall within a week of your interview date, I suggest sending a quick mail to your recruiter directly.

• User profile image
    sm_cohen

i dont know

• User profile image
    Steve411

The best way to get noticed is to climb the Microsoft building in a C# outfit. BAM! Success! Smiley But they again, you might be sent to a correctional facility with NO LAPTOP! Wink I call it coding feaver

• User profile image
    Rossj

I'd suggest running naked around the Microsoft campus will get you noticed. It might not get you hired but it will get you noticed Smiley

I am just waiting for Scoble to pop on here and tell you to start a blog ...

• User profile image
    Steve411

Rossj wrote:
    I'd suggest running naked around the Microsoft campus will get you noticed. It might not get you hired but it will get you noticed

I am just waiting for Scoble to pop on here and tell you to start a blog ...

lol
    (made the little tool (http://www.xblogs.org/_App/Blogger.aspx) my self.)
    http://www.xblogs.org/_App/Blogger.aspx

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Hmmm.  Getting noticed.  Well, ask any Microsoft employee and they will say:

"Have you tried this site yet?"

"If that doesn't work, try here."

"Wait, no, I know what will help.  Try
    HERE."

Seriously, though, how many people actually get hired at Microsoft strictly through the careers site (without knowing somebody on the inside)?  Somewhere I read that they receive over 50,000 resumes a month and for all the talk I have seen that recruiters "really, really do query the database" I somehow don't buy it half the time.

• User profile image
    Steve411

jsrfc58 wrote:
    Hmmm.  Getting noticed.  Well, ask any Microsoft employee and they will say:

"Have you tried this site yet?"

"If that doesn't work, try here."

"Wait, no, I know what will help.  Try
    HERE."

Those are some of my favorite responses:
    "Umm, I'm gonna have to have you come in on Saturday, and sunday."

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Cohen, do you have a website with a portfolio?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.