Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Adobe just got evil (again)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

/rant

I just downloaded and installed Adobe Reader 9.0 and was rather surprised, when I tried to delete a shortcut to acrobat.com it left on my desktop, to be told that it was a programme that needed uninstalling. Futher investigation revealed that it had installed adobe air and this acrobat.com application without my knowledge or permission. Won't companies learn that we don't want this? I've really had enough. If I install Java I want Java, not open office, if I install Adobe Reader I want reader, not air, if I install Quicktime I want Quicktime, not Safari, if I install application x I want application x, not toolbar y.

/rant

Feeling better now Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Foxit is your friend.

Of course, why not just stick with Acrobat 7.x? I've never encountered a PDF that required anything that wasn't in Acrobat 5, actually.

• User profile image
    giovanni

Unfortunately I can feel you pain too. No, most companies seem not to learn from their own mistakes Sad

• User profile image
    androidi

I've seen that "trying to delete shortcut - warning about program uninstall" on Vista a few times. I think it's some new Vista feature that if program installs in some particular way and puts a shortcut on desktop then it gets hooked up somehow.

Deleting the shortcut/web link shouldn't cause any problems or uninstall anything.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo said:
    Foxit is your friend.

Of course, why not just stick with Acrobat 7.x? I've never encountered a PDF that required anything that wasn't in Acrobat 5, actually.
    Security concerns.

Adobe Reader is a very common route of attack next to Real Player and your browser.

• User profile image
    Bass

Hmmm, if Adobe is evil, does that mean Adobe bought evil from Microsoft?

But yeah, I avoid Adobe Reader. Here is an alternative.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

androidi said:

I've seen that "trying to delete shortcut - warning about program uninstall" on Vista a few times. I think it's some new Vista feature that if program installs in some particular way and puts a shortcut on desktop then it gets hooked up somehow.

Deleting the shortcut/web link shouldn't cause any problems or uninstall anything.

I thought it was just a shortcut to acrobat.com but then it told me that it was a programme and I was quite surprised. But I did want it uninstalled, so I uninstalled it.

• User profile image
    Typhoon87

GoddersUK said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*
    I thought it was just a shortcut to acrobat.com but then it told me that it was a programme and I was quite surprised. But I did want it uninstalled, so I uninstalled it.
    I found this quite odd too. Why is the shortcut an installed appication? Makes no sense.

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

You need to check out this website: http://dearadobe.com Adobe seems to be listening.

• User profile image
    kettch

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this a feature that has been in Windows for a while? I've had that happen in XP, and maybe even in 2000. I think it happens when an installer uses a certain API to put a shortcut on the desktop.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

kettch said:
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this a feature that has been in Windows for a while? I've had that happen in XP, and maybe even in 2000. I think it happens when an installer uses a certain API to put a shortcut on the desktop.
    no, there was an adobe air and acrobat.com entries in my add/remove programmes list

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.