Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Redesigned company website

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Hi guys, would just like to get some feedback on my new company website which I put "live" today.

http://www.athousandthreads.com/ 

Constructive critisism appreciated Smiley

Nice one.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I like it, though it is not the most exciting place to be in the world, but that is the way it should be. Simple, informative, easy to navigate and serve a purpose. Any prospective client needs something clinical to view and that is what that site is at the moment.

Who did the design?

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

vesuvius said:
    I like it, though it is not the most exciting place to be in the world, but that is the way it should be. Simple, informative, easy to navigate and serve a purpose. Any prospective client needs something clinical to view and that is what that site is at the moment.

Who did the design?
    Thanks, yeah I did the whole thing myself.

I'm no designer so I don't attempt the flashy graphics, I prefer things to be simple and clean.

• User profile image
    littleguru

leeappdalecom said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

I'm no designer so I don't attempt the flashy graphics, I prefer things to be simple and clean.
    I like the site Smiley Have you tried to view this website in Windows XP without Office 2007 installed. How does it look like?

• User profile image
    jamie

very nice and clean and readable

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

littleguru said:
    leeappdalecom said:
    *snip*
    I like the site Smiley Have you tried to view this website in Windows XP without Office 2007 installed. How does it look like?
    Yeah I have a VM of XP with IE6 FF2 and Opera installed to test on, doesn't have Office installed.

Did you say that because of the Fonts? It's just defaulting to a standard font I think Arial can't remember, doesn't look as nice but doens't look that bad either IMO.

Thanks for the comments guys appreciated.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

leeappdalecom said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Your access keys are messed up and don't use inline styles. Also check your site at 120 dpi, some text at the Sharepoint banners comes out of it's container.

When somebody selects a link by using your access keys they don't get feedback like with a mouseover (hover) effect. I think you can solve that in CSS: a:hover, a:focus {text-decoration: underline;}

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

ZippyV said:
    leeappdalecom said:
    *snip*
    Your access keys are messed up and don't use inline styles. Also check your site at 120 dpi, some text at the Sharepoint banners comes out of it's container.

When somebody selects a link by using your access keys they don't get feedback like with a mouseover (hover) effect. I think you can solve that in CSS: a:hover, a:focus {text-decoration: underline;}
    Thanks I intend to sort the access keys out, it's a bit of a PITA so I left it to the end.

• User profile image
    littleguru

leeappdalecom said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Yeah I have a VM of XP with IE6 FF2 and Opera installed to test on, doesn't have Office installed.

Did you say that because of the Fonts? It's just defaulting to a standard font I think Arial can't remember, doesn't look as nice but doens't look that bad either IMO.

Thanks for the comments guys appreciated.

Yeah. I said it because of the fonts Smiley I was just curious if you thought about that... other than that: I love the design. Easy to read and simple. Now let's hope that you get a lot of customers.

• User profile image
    KevinB

I like the design. You should also test or try to allow for those users not running the standard DPI on windows. For example, I run at 120 DPI and the site has some issues where the menu runs outside shaded areas for example.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I like it.  One thing I'd change is to make the background behind the main links at the top change so it's more obvious that I'm hovering over them (instead of the word just getting underlined).

• User profile image
    Pace

Love it. Nothing more thans needed on there. Feels natural to navigate, I never felt lost, the lines,colours and fonts are clean.

most importantly I diddnt have to think. So 10 out of 10 there.

Now my crit Big Smile

The first thing I think your missing is a tag line.

My only second criticism, could just be my preference but I felt like I only had half the page at a time. When I first arrived I though great, I can see how to get to everywhere without really looking (ie just scanning the page) but after moving around the pages a little I have to scroll down to read each page. So, I click a page, I scroll down to read it, I then have to scroll up again to get to the navigation, then down again to read the content. Up and down.

Not a problem but if you want feedback, there is my 2 cents Wink

Kudos,
    Pace

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Pace said:
    Love it. Nothing more thans needed on there. Feels natural to navigate, I never felt lost, the lines,colours and fonts are clean.

most importantly I diddnt have to think. So 10 out of 10 there.

Now my crit Big Smile

The first thing I think your missing is a tag line.

My only second criticism, could just be my preference but I felt like I only had half the page at a time. When I first arrived I though great, I can see how to get to everywhere without really looking (ie just scanning the page) but after moving around the pages a little I have to scroll down to read each page. So, I click a page, I scroll down to read it, I then have to scroll up again to get to the navigation, then down again to read the content. Up and down.

Not a problem but if you want feedback, there is my 2 cents Wink

Kudos,
    Pace
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I have just integrated a blog into the site which you can view here:

http://portal.athousandthreads.net/sites/leedaleblog

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

leeappdalecom said:
    Pace said:
    *snip*
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I have just integrated a blog into the site which you can view here:

http://portal.athousandthreads.net/sites/leedaleblog
    IE7 on Windows XP:  shows yellow warning bar saying it wants to run add-in 'name.dll'.

I personally don't like sites that want to run stuff, especially if I don't recognise the DLL name (and I don't care that it's from Microsoft).  If it's not necessary, perhaps you should strip it out.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Dr Herbie said:
    leeappdalecom said:
    *snip*
    IE7 on Windows XP:  shows yellow warning bar saying it wants to run add-in 'name.dll'.

I personally don't like sites that want to run stuff, especially if I don't recognise the DLL name (and I don't care that it's from Microsoft).  If it's not necessary, perhaps you should strip it out.

Herbie
    Yeah somebody else mentioned that to me, it's running on Sharepoint so I'm trying to work out what it's trying to install, doens't happen on my dev machine.  Cheers

• User profile image
    Ray7

Clean, no clutter and big text.

Does what it says on the tin.

I approve.

• User profile image
    Alex Keizer

There's a typo in the links "Tell me more about Microsft .Net" and "Tell me more about Microsft Sharepoint"

Otherwise it looks clean and business-like. Just what it needs to be.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

I like it - but I'm not so impressed with the reflection beneath the logo/title text. I love reflections, but that one doesn't work IMHO.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.