Coffeehouse Thread

292 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Chrome, Google’s Open Source Browser Project

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-09-01-n47.html

The world doesn't need yet another browser.

Update: Now I've tried it, I'm not so sure !!! It's fast, simple and low on memory usage which all is ticking boxes for me as other browser like FF and IE have turned into bloatware of late. Nice one Google!

• User profile image
    turrican

As long as it follows the w3c standards, it doesn't matter. Bring not only one, but 100000000 of them. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

direct link to comic:
    http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

re:
    Generic Forum Image

looks like someone got windows 2.0 running in protect mode (dont tell IBM)  Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

Hmm, that's interesting...

• Google Chrome is Google’s open source browser project
      Running webkit. So a sort of open source Safari?
    • The browser will include a JavaScript Virtual Machine called V8
      This sounds like the most compelling feature to me, if they can pull it off properly. I haven't been that impressed by Google's desktop apps so far.
    • Google Chrome will use special tabs
      On top of the address bar instead of below them. Whoop?
    • The browser has an address bar with auto-completion features.
      Like every modern browser, once IE8 is released.
    • As a default homepage Chrome presents you with a kind of “speed dial” feature, similar to the one of Opera
      Also recently closed tabs and such. In other words, like Opera and IE8.
    • Chrome has a privacy mode; Google says you can create an “incognito” window “and nothing that occurs in that window is ever logged on your computer.”
      Like IE8 and Safari.
    • Web apps can be launched in their own browser window without address bar and toolbar.
      What... advantage does that bring?
    • To fight malware and phishing attempts, Chrome is constantly downloading lists of harmful sites
      That's nothing new either.

It's an interesting move.. but so far I'm wondering how this is supposed to stand out between the other browsers. It looks sort of like it's picking various bits of the major browsers already out there... something you can already do with the infinitely modifyable Firefox. What sounds like the most interesting feature, the javascript engine, is open sourced, so there's no stopping anybody from putting that in Firefox as well.

Can't say I'm entirely convinced, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

• User profile image
    stevo_

jamie said:
    direct link to comic:

re:
    Generic Forum Image

looks like someone got windows 2.0 running in protect mode (dont tell IBM)  Wink
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• User profile image
    turrican

jamie said:
    direct link to comic:

re:
    Generic Forum Image

What's the difference between different "Processes" and "Threads" ? Aren't they the same?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

turrican said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    What's the difference between different "Processes" and "Threads" ? Aren't they the same?
    No, two completely different things.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie said:
    direct link to comic:

re:
    Generic Forum Image

IE8 runs each tab in a different process. C'mon Google, show some originality!

• User profile image
    Bass

PaoloM said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    How do you know they didn't come up with it on their own?

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    How do you know they didn't come up with it on their own?
    Why isn't that question ever asked regarding IE?

• User profile image
    turrican

PaoloM said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    No, two completely different things.
    Could you give me some URL where I can read more on this? If you have any I mean.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

PaoloM said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    hah, I hope they will allow multiple processes (separated virtual address spaces) in a sigle application (exe binary) in Windows 7. 
    It's kinda silly when you see 4 processes in task manager for 3 tabs open in a single IE8 window. Besides, multiple address spaces have tons of uses..

• User profile image
    Bass

turrican said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    Could you give me some URL where I can read more on this? If you have any I mean.
    I don't know if what PaoloM said is true for all operating systems.

• User profile image
    stevo_

turrican said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    Check the IE blog..

Anyway, ie is either the most up to date amazing rendering engine, going down the pan - or still rendering buggy atm because it managed to render our site different when:

ie6, 7, ff2, ff3, opera 9.52, safari latest ALL managed to render it identical..

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKK

• User profile image
    jamie

stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    re: nooooooooooo!

well that was the start of ibms downfall.  i believe it was martin heller, who got windows running in protect mode - so applications became threaded  =  not like dos (one thing at a time)

*in the book - no one could believe it - and that prompted ballmer to break with os2 and make ibm mad

i could be wrong - but i think the scenarios are somewhat similar

• User profile image
    stevo_

jamie said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    re: nooooooooooo!

well that was the start of ibms downfall.  i believe it was martin heller, who got windows running in protect mode - so applications became threaded  =  not like dos (one thing at a time)

*in the book - no one could believe it - and that prompted ballmer to break with os2 and make ibm mad

i could be wrong - but i think the scenarios are somewhat similar

Nah I was just generally saying noooooo.. nooooooo more browsers please! never going to get used to this ch9 posting thing.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Hopefully it isnt as god awful ugly as everything else Google makes

• User profile image
    jamie

brian.shapiro said:
    Hopefully it isnt as god awful ugly as everything else Google makes
    lol

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.