Coffeehouse Thread

292 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Chrome, Google’s Open Source Browser Project

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

TommyCarlier said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

To all the paranoid people that don't trust the browser because it sends back data to Google: Matt Cutts (Google employee) has written a blog post that explains every possible communication between Chrome and Google.com. The thing Charles was referring to was the auto-suggest feature that sends whatever you type into the omnibar to Google. I'm not sure how you can implement an auto-suggest feature that works offline, but if you don't want this, you can just disable it (see Matt's post).

His conclusion says it all: if you don't believe him, just check out the source code. It's completely open-source (Chromium). And I think a lot of people will check out the source code (I see that LittleGuru has already done so).

I had a look the traffic to/from Chrome in http://www.wireshark.org/ and I didn't see anything really different from the stuff that gets sent to the page-rank system.

I have read a lot of negitive comments about Chrome, not one Microsoft blogger I subscribe via RSS had a good thing to say about Chrome which made me think FUD. I'm sure it's not really and I sure Microsoft are more than happy to welcome the competition as it all good for the market and the consumers.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

TommyCarlier said:
    Yggdrasil said:
    *snip*

How do you take auto-suggest offline? How can Chrome suggest something based on what you type without consulting search engine? Auto-suggest only works well if it can guess what you're searching for. Offline auto-suggest could only suggest stuff it knows about offline, which is your browser history and your bookmarks. Online auto-suggest can suggest websites you've never visited before, which is infinitely more useful.

I like the possibilities of this feature, but I don't like its consequences. So I just disabled the feature (Wrench-menu > Options > Basics - Default search - Manage > Uncheck the checkbox "Use a suggestion service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar").

That was a typo on my part - I meant to say that auto-suggest needs to be online, but that's no reason to keep track of my usage. You didn't respond to that part of my claim. Google seem to be able to pull off such a feature as totally opt-out rather than opt-in and still get people fawning all over that feature, while a similar feature in IE will be almost universally vilified. That's also the reason (in reply to Sabot) that I'm taking the negative view of Chrome here, despite the fact that it's generally a good browser and I'm giving it a couple of days' shot as my default browser. People are falling over backwards to justify, rationalize and glorify everything about it. I've even had people try to rationalize the :% bug as a good thing. You can't help but find yourself pointing out shortcomings. You may have noticed a lot of FUD against it, but it's a tiny minority compared to the people lining up to praise it.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yggdrasil said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    That was a typo on my part - I meant to say that auto-suggest needs to be online, but that's no reason to keep track of my usage. You didn't respond to that part of my claim. Google seem to be able to pull off such a feature as totally opt-out rather than opt-in and still get people fawning all over that feature, while a similar feature in IE will be almost universally vilified. That's also the reason (in reply to Sabot) that I'm taking the negative view of Chrome here, despite the fact that it's generally a good browser and I'm giving it a couple of days' shot as my default browser. People are falling over backwards to justify, rationalize and glorify everything about it. I've even had people try to rationalize the :% bug as a good thing. You can't help but find yourself pointing out shortcomings. You may have noticed a lot of FUD against it, but it's a tiny minority compared to the people lining up to praise it.
    I agree with what you say. You're one of the smart people that can see both the pros and the cons. You take the negative view here, because you see people defending Chrome; I take the positive view here, because I see people vilifying Google here. I think it's a good thing that both view points are expressed in this discussion.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Yggdrasil said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    I agree there is a lot of info flying around, some of it is true, some mis-truths, half-truths, based on truth and everything else inbetween. 

The only thing that is true is that you have to workout pretty much for yourself whether you are going to use Chrome because reliable objective comment is few and far between on the web as most voices strive to make their opinions heard. 

So back to reading the EULA and deciding for yourself.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.