292 posts

Google Chrome, Google’s Open Source Browser Project

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

RoyalSchrubber said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    hah, I hope they will allow multiple processes (separated virtual address spaces) in a sigle application (exe binary) in Windows 7. 
    It's kinda silly when you see 4 processes in task manager for 3 tabs open in a single IE8 window. Besides, multiple address spaces have tons of uses..
    I don't understand just what you mean. There's no problem with having several processes launched from the same EXE binary - try using Process Explorer instead of Task Manager and check out the Shared Bytes counter. If you have several processes that share the same DLL/EXE binaries, Windows will try to share as many as those bytes between processes as possible - assuming that they're static code segments that can safely be shared.

You see 4 different processes in the Task Manager because, well, Task Manager shows all running processes. There's no sense in merging them together.

• User profile image
    Minh

Yggdrasil said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*
    I don't understand just what you mean. There's no problem with having several processes launched from the same EXE binary - try using Process Explorer instead of Task Manager and check out the Shared Bytes counter. If you have several processes that share the same DLL/EXE binaries, Windows will try to share as many as those bytes between processes as possible - assuming that they're static code segments that can safely be shared.

You see 4 different processes in the Task Manager because, well, Task Manager shows all running processes. There's no sense in merging them together.
    I really dig the comics help file. It reminds me of Nobody Knows Shoes (which must've been mushroom-induced) (also, it seems to view ok only in FireFox).

And yes, Sabot, IE6 taught us that we do need another browser.

Also, where can I download this?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Bass said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    I don't know if what PaoloM said is true for all operating systems.
    It's true for all operating systems, as they are very specific CS terms.

I'll just quote wikipedia to save some typing today Smiley

Threads are distinguished from traditional multitasking operating system processes in that processes:

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Bass said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    How do you know they didn't come up with it on their own?
    Well, IE8 have them out today, Goggle Chrome will have them... after today. Hence, applying the usual ABM logic that does not allow for independent inventions, they are copying IE8.

QED.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Yggdrasil said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

I want multiple address spaces in single process... opening multiple processes to get around this shortcoming is just dirty hack. Anyhow, they probably won't implement it as current model is too fundamental to Windows. But they can add grouping in Win7 Task Manager.

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    IE8 runs each tab in a different process. C'mon Google, show some originality!
    is that a union jack shirt?  (cool) Smiley

you sort of look like bill maher in that pic

• User profile image
    Bass

PaoloM said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Well, IE8 have them out today, Goggle Chrome will have them... after today. Hence, applying the usual ABM logic that does not allow for independent inventions, they are copying IE8.

QED.
    IE8 is in beta, ergo it doesn't exist yet (along with 4/5ths of Google).

Q.E.D.

However, my awesomeness web browser which currently exists implements said features. I expect a royalty check in the mail by tomorrow.

• User profile image
    KevinB

RoyalSchrubber said:
    Yggdrasil said:
    *snip*
    I want multiple address spaces in single process... opening multiple processes to get around this shortcoming is just dirty hack. Anyhow, they probably won't implement it as current model is too fundamental to Windows. But they can add grouping in Win7 Task Manager.
    I am no OS expert, but separate address spaces is just one of the many benefits of going for multiple processes. In regards to IE8 specifically, I think separate security permissions being applied on a per-process (and therefore per tab) is a pretty good reason to go down this route.

• User profile image
    Bass

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I think it's actually a photo of Bill Maher on the toilet. Where PaoloM got such a photo, I care not to know.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Yeah, got it in London last year. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, got it in London last year. Smiley
    you need these too:

Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

jamie said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    you need these too:

Wink
    cnet:

"We believe Kara Swisher of the All Things Digital blog was first to pick up on Google's official announcement: Chrome is real. It's not an elaborate hoax. It's a bona fide product and it will be available for download Tuesday. We'll have a hands-on review as soon as we get some time to explore the product."

• User profile image
    JChung2006

JavaScript VM sounds mighty interesting to me.  Process per tab, meh; IE8's been there, done that.  What may be interesting to see is what happens if a company with a vested interest in promoting an open Web (read not Microsoft, not Adobe, not Apple) tried really hard to make it actually happen.  I'm also curious what Mozilla thinks about this new development.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

How much of Google's project do you think is a response to their problems with IE8's private browsing feature?

• User profile image
    Bass

JChung2006 said:
    JavaScript VM sounds mighty interesting to me.  Process per tab, meh; IE8's been there, done that.  What may be interesting to see is what happens if a company with a vested interest in promoting an open Web (read not Microsoft, not Adobe, not Apple) tried really hard to make it actually happen.  I'm also curious what Mozilla thinks about this new development.
    That's why I wonder. In my mind I always thought Mozilla = Google, or at least Mozilla ~ Google, since so much of Mozilla's funding comes from Google, and coincidently enough, Mozilla's HQ is basically right next to Google, and it's not unheard of to find Google engineers chilling inside of Mozilla HQ and vise versa.

My guess is Mozilla will strongly support this effort with their PR.

• User profile image
    jamie

so this comes out tomorrow

and new "cool" ms ads out on the 4th or 5th

should be an interesting week

• User profile image
    intelman

I tell you what, this might be what we needed.

IE8 is great and all, but the performance isn't where I'd like it. Firefox still scrolls smoother for me. I am betting that Google's Chrome will be lightning fast. Webkit is up there on performance.

Performance isn't where it needs to be. Go Google!

• User profile image
    kettch

Bas said:
    Hmm, that's interesting...

• Google Chrome is Google’s open source browser project
      Running webkit. So a sort of open source Safari?
    • The browser will include a JavaScript Virtual Machine called V8
      This sounds like the most compelling feature to me, if they can pull it off properly. I haven't been that impressed by Google's desktop apps so far.
    • Google Chrome will use special tabs
      On top of the address bar instead of below them. Whoop?
    • The browser has an address bar with auto-completion features.
      Like every modern browser, once IE8 is released.
    • As a default homepage Chrome presents you with a kind of “speed dial” feature, similar to the one of Opera
      Also recently closed tabs and such. In other words, like Opera and IE8.
    • Chrome has a privacy mode; Google says you can create an “incognito” window “and nothing that occurs in that window is ever logged on your computer.”
      Like IE8 and Safari.
    • Web apps can be launched in their own browser window without address bar and toolbar.
      What... advantage does that bring?
    • To fight malware and phishing attempts, Chrome is constantly downloading lists of harmful sites
      That's nothing new either.

It's an interesting move.. but so far I'm wondering how this is supposed to stand out between the other browsers. It looks sort of like it's picking various bits of the major browsers already out there... something you can already do with the infinitely modifyable Firefox. What sounds like the most interesting feature, the javascript engine, is open sourced, so there's no stopping anybody from putting that in Firefox as well.

Can't say I'm entirely convinced, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

The ability to launch web apps in windows without an address bar? Is that a good thing? Doesn't that open the user up to all kinds of phishing scenarios?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.