Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista x64 and Product Keys

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Okay, so I was part of the Vista/Longhorn beta on Microsoft Connect. They gave me a key and the x86 and x64 Ultimate ISO's.  I've been thinking of throwing x64 on my main rig; will I be able to install with the same key or will I need a new one? 

• User profile image
    dahat

So long as you haven't used the key a whole bunch as of late... you should have no problem using it on a fresh install of a 32 or 64-bit machine.    

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

dahat said:

So long as you haven't used the key a whole bunch as of late... you should have no problem using it on a fresh install of a 32 or 64-bit machine.    

I've been using it on my main machine; 32-bit installed. I haven't activated it all five times, if that's what you're referring to Smiley

The guys at the microsoft chat say "it might work" (no help there, I knew that much).  I guess I'll start my backup and give it a shot.  I've got 1.5GB RAM that hasn't been getting used Smiley

Plus, then I can look at installing more, yay...  Hey, let's go off on a rant, how much RAM do some of the x64 users here have? If I go to ridiculous lengths and install 8GB or more, will I be the only one?

• User profile image
    dahat

SlackmasterK said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    I've been using it on my main machine; 32-bit installed. I haven't activated it all five times, if that's what you're referring to Smiley

The guys at the microsoft chat say "it might work" (no help there, I knew that much).  I guess I'll start my backup and give it a shot.  I've got 1.5GB RAM that hasn't been getting used Smiley

Plus, then I can look at installing more, yay...  Hey, let's go off on a rant, how much RAM do some of the x64 users here have? If I go to ridiculous lengths and install 8GB or more, will I be the only one?

"It might work"? HA!

The keys they gave out as the thank you for the beta were full retail keys... the best way to prove that at the time was to plunk down $50 once or twice for that family upgrade program they were running... where if you plug in a full retail Ultimate key... for $50 a pop you can get to Home Premium upgrade keys.

Today when you go and buy a copy of Ultimate in the store it comes with two disks... and just one key.

It'll be fine. And if worst comes to worst and Vista won't activate over the internet... give em a ring, jump through the hoops of reading a couple dozen numbers and you can activate that way.

As for ram under 64... at home and at work I'm running Server 2008 (just because I so love Hyper-V) with 8 gigs of ram... oh so nice.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

dahat said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

"It might work"? HA!

The keys they gave out as the thank you for the beta were full retail keys... the best way to prove that at the time was to plunk down $50 once or twice for that family upgrade program they were running... where if you plug in a full retail Ultimate key... for $50 a pop you can get to Home Premium upgrade keys.

Today when you go and buy a copy of Ultimate in the store it comes with two disks... and just one key.

It'll be fine. And if worst comes to worst and Vista won't activate over the internet... give em a ring, jump through the hoops of reading a couple dozen numbers and you can activate that way.

As for ram under 64... at home and at work I'm running Server 2008 (just because I so love Hyper-V) with 8 gigs of ram... oh so nice.

Your config sounds nice.  I've heard of people running Server 2008 as a workstation OS - Of course my Connect account gave me the ISO's and no key, so I have a full copy of Server 2008 I can't use full-time (what was it, six months?)... Bah.

But yeah, I eagerly look forward to dipping into the ol' RAM ziploc Smiley

Burning now. The time is nigh.

• User profile image
    whiteBox85

I am running Vista Home Premium x64 using 4GB of ram for months now. So far so good.

• User profile image
    dahat

SlackmasterK said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    Your config sounds nice.  I've heard of people running Server 2008 as a workstation OS - Of course my Connect account gave me the ISO's and no key, so I have a full copy of Server 2008 I can't use full-time (what was it, six months?)... Bah.

But yeah, I eagerly look forward to dipping into the ol' RAM ziploc Smiley

Burning now. The time is nigh.

As nifty as Server 2008 is as a workstation... the moment you start using it with VMs and Hyper-V it becomes less ideal as the Hypervisor turns the machine you are logging into into just another machine... so if I've got two VPC's in the background, they have an equal shot at the underlying HW as I do when I'm trying to do a compile or anything else... I find this fact quite bothersome as dang it... I want to be top dog... and from what I can see there is no way to assign priority to given machines... just to the environment ala "allow no machine more than X% of the CPU/RAM/etc"

Here's hoping Virtual PC 2009 (or whatever the next version will be) will bring some of the Hyper-V goodies (ie improved snapshotting) without the potential performance hit.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The same product key will work, as long as you keep it on the same machine (in terms of activation, it's the same as just re-activating the 32 bit version).

Check beforehand if all your hardware has 64 bit drivers available (signed drivers; Vista x64 will not accept unsigned drivers at all), and if you don't depend on any 32 bit only shell extensions (the 64 bit explorer.exe cannot load 32 bit extensions). Also check if you're not using any 16 bit applications, those will not work in a 64 bit OS (of course you can always run them in a VM). Finally, be aware that you will lose html and xml file icons if you install Office (it installs a 32 bit icon handler, which the 64 bit explorer cannot use; you can of course manually restore the normal icons, you'll just not have the special icons for an html file made in Word).

I've been running Vista x64 since the early stages of the Vista beta, and XP x64 before that. It works fine as long as you keep the points I mentioned above in mind. And having full use of the 4GB RAM I currently have is nice. Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

SlackmasterK said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

I have 8Gb on my home and work Vista x64 machines and it rocks!  Helps when I'm playing with lots of VM's and I have SQL-2008 developer ticking over in the background.   At the moment I only have IE, Outlook and SQL-2008 and there is >6Gb in the cache!  Makes a big difference, I found going from 4>6Gb quite noticeable, much more than 6>8Gb for general use, 6Gb seems to be the point where all the little delays in Vista just seem to vanish**.

** Once your up and running.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

dahat said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

As nifty as Server 2008 is as a workstation... the moment you start using it with VMs and Hyper-V it becomes less ideal as the Hypervisor turns the machine you are logging into into just another machine... so if I've got two VPC's in the background, they have an equal shot at the underlying HW as I do when I'm trying to do a compile or anything else... I find this fact quite bothersome as dang it... I want to be top dog... and from what I can see there is no way to assign priority to given machines... just to the environment ala "allow no machine more than X% of the CPU/RAM/etc"

Here's hoping Virtual PC 2009 (or whatever the next version will be) will bring some of the Hyper-V goodies (ie improved snapshotting) without the potential performance hit.

Can't you disable Hypervisor?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

PerfectPhase said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

I have 8Gb on my home and work Vista x64 machines and it rocks!  Helps when I'm playing with lots of VM's and I have SQL-2008 developer ticking over in the background.   At the moment I only have IE, Outlook and SQL-2008 and there is >6Gb in the cache!  Makes a big difference, I found going from 4>6Gb quite noticeable, much more than 6>8Gb for general use, 6Gb seems to be the point where all the little delays in Vista just seem to vanish**.

** Once your up and running.

The install went more or less smoothly.  I got it installed, and it recognizes the full 8GB I managed to scrounge out of my other machines. Unfortunately, my Vista x64 RTM images seems to be borked... Won't boot... So I went with the Vista x64 SP1 RC0 image I also downloaded from Connect.  Now I have to figure out a legitimate way to replace my RTM DVD...

<rjdonhert>
    I've blogged my upgrade story here (before), here (during), and here (after), for anyone who's interested.
    </rjdonhert>

Kinda funny, it's telling me my license will expire in 0 hours, but it hasn't gone into cripple mode yet.

• User profile image
    dahat

SlackmasterK said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    Can't you disable Hypervisor?
    You don't disable it... you just don't enable it by not installing the Hyper-V role.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

dahat said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    You don't disable it... you just don't enable it by not installing the Hyper-V role.
    So wouldn't that resolve your issue with being "just another machine"?  Or could you install an older version of Virtual PC - one that wouldn't work with Hyper-V?

Or you could install a Virtualization solution that Microsoft didn't make... just don't tell anyone Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

SlackmasterK said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    So wouldn't that resolve your issue with being "just another machine"?  Or could you install an older version of Virtual PC - one that wouldn't work with Hyper-V?

Or you could install a Virtualization solution that Microsoft didn't make... just don't tell anyone Smiley

It would... but I just so love Hyper-V and what it gives me over Virtual PC and everything else I've seen... insanely easy hierarchical snapshotting. No more of that 'undo disk' stuff... but the ability to take a snapshot of the VM at a given moment in time, revert to another point then go off making changes and making snapshots down a completely different path... not to mention the ability to control the whole shebang from another domain joined pc (controlling Hyper-V running on one non-domain joined pc from another is far from easy).

Chances are I'll just demote the current work box to VM only duty (or build one with multiple HDs with VMing in mind).

If/when the next version of Virtual PC comes out and should it include the same kind of hierarchical support... I'll likely back away from Server 2008 at home for sure and likely at work as well.

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

The complimentary key given to testers who participated in the Vista private beta is a single license. You will have to remove the existing installation of your 32 bit Vista Ultimate, install 64-bit Vista Ultimate with the same key and reactivate. Possibly by telephone and explain the situation to the call representative.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Andre Da Costa said:
    The complimentary key given to testers who participated in the Vista private beta is a single license. You will have to remove the existing installation of your 32 bit Vista Ultimate, install 64-bit Vista Ultimate with the same key and reactivate. Possibly by telephone and explain the situation to the call representative.

umm, yeah.  When I said I was upgrading, I actually meant a clean format and fresh install... So the 32-bit copy went the way of the dodo in the process.  I just have to figure out a way to get my RTM disc to boot; I don't trust this SP1 RC0 install to stick.

• User profile image
    androidi

dahat said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

It would... but I just so love Hyper-V and what it gives me over Virtual PC and everything else I've seen... insanely easy hierarchical snapshotting. No more of that 'undo disk' stuff... but the ability to take a snapshot of the VM at a given moment in time, revert to another point then go off making changes and making snapshots down a completely different path... not to mention the ability to control the whole shebang from another domain joined pc (controlling Hyper-V running on one non-domain joined pc from another is far from easy).

Chances are I'll just demote the current work box to VM only duty (or build one with multiple HDs with VMing in mind).

If/when the next version of Virtual PC comes out and should it include the same kind of hierarchical support... I'll likely back away from Server 2008 at home for sure and likely at work as well.

> but the ability to take a snapshot of the VM at a given moment in time, revert to another point then go off making changes and making snapshots down a completely different path

You can do that with vmware workstation and no hypervisor tech. I've not tried virtualpc so can't comment on that.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

androidi said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    > but the ability to take a snapshot of the VM at a given moment in time, revert to another point then go off making changes and making snapshots down a completely different path

You can do that with vmware workstation and no hypervisor tech. I've not tried virtualpc so can't comment on that.
    I suspect I'll be playing alot more with Virtualization on my x64 rig, if what I hear about running 16- and 32-bit software holds up... Then again, my other two Vista machines are still running x86 Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.