Coffeehouse Thread

93 posts

What keeps you on Windows?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

I setup Ubuntu 8.04 on my PC this last weekend, spent about 4 days on it, and now I'm spending the vast majority of my time on there. The only thing right now that keeps me on Windows is Photoshop (which may work in Wine given some slight modifications), and my games (Just purchased Crysis!).

I noticed that Ubuntu (even with Compiz Fusion) uses less than half the memory that Vista Ultimate uses, and this is great when you've only got 2gb total. Having 1gb of it taken by the OS isn't too pleasant.

I can't say that I'm cutting off Windows anytime soon (can't, obliged to use it for games/photoshop), but I can say that my next computer will likely not have Windows unless I absolutely need it.

I don't want to appear naive though, so I'm curious why most users here have no taken any Linux distro as their primary desktop. Same goes for Mac. Why has Windows persisted as your prefered desktop?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I like windows more than unbuntu/mac . Why do people assume that theres no reason to prefer Windows except for available applications

• User profile image
    jh71283

brian.shapiro said:
    I like windows more than unbuntu/mac . Why do people assume that theres no reason to prefer Windows except for available applications
    VS

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

brian.shapiro said:
    I'm just curious; I mean, you have to spend hundreds for windows. And that isn't including upgrades in hardware that many experienced as a result of adopting Vista. I can't associate myself with those who complain about this, since my hardware upgrades are for gaming, and not OS's.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

mainly the development environment (by that I mean the entire infrastructure) and tools, secondly  the support you get from a commercial system, life is short I don't have time to kill for configuring trivial parts of the system (Linux)

• User profile image
    Dovella

time Start up Ubuntu?
    Shutdown  time  Ubuntu  ?
    Install application easy?
    Messenger?
    Live suite?(writer)
    Compatibility hardware ?(all all all hardware)
    Software+ software+ software ?
    Gaming?
    Driver?

say that this may suffice, for me personally ubuntu is Win 98 + compiz

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ion Todirel said:
    mainly the development environment (by that I mean the entire infrastructure) and tools, secondly  the support you get from a commercial system, life is short I don't have time to kill for configuring trivial parts of the system (Linux)
    Prefer windows, I think its a better OS..

Used various flavours of linux over the years and even now work work macs everyday in my job, and I just think windows is a better platform..

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Dovella said:
    time Start up Ubuntu?
    Shutdown  time  Ubuntu  ?
    Install application easy?
    Messenger?
    Live suite?(writer)
    Compatibility hardware ?(all all all hardware)
    Software+ software+ software ?
    Gaming?
    Driver?

say that this may suffice, for me personally ubuntu is Win 98 + compiz
    Interesting. I actually think Ubuntu starts up faster than Windows Vista Ultimate. And shuts down.
    Installing applications is hard on Ubuntu? (sudo apt-get install) 
    Messenger? Ubuntu ships with Pidgin, which accesses over a dozen chat-clients.
    Live Suite - like OpenOffice?
    Compat. Hardware - I've not experienced any problems here, but I don't doubt that I will in the future. Vista gave me much more frustration than ubuntu has so far in this area.
    Software - aside from games and photoshop, what am I missing?
    Gaming - yeah, I agree, Gaming is partly why I still use Windows.
    Driver...isn't this pretty much hardware compat? You're not snowballing, are you? Smiley

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jonathansampson said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Interesting. I actually think Ubuntu starts up faster than Windows Vista Ultimate. And shuts down.
    Compat. Hardware - I've not experienced any problems here, but I don't doubt that I will in the future. Vista gave me much more frustration than ubuntu has so far in this area.
    Driver...isn't this pretty much hardware compat? You're not snowballing, are you? Smiley
    Trust me once you get over the novelty of using a different OS environment, you'll come crawling back to Windows.

It's just what's going to happen, you'll watch a few Windows 7 vid's here on C9 and you'll be hooked by the new features.

• User profile image
    jamie

La Bomba said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*
    Trust me once you get over the novelty of using a different OS environment, you'll come crawling back to Windows.

It's just what's going to happen, you'll watch a few Windows 7 vid's here on C9 and you'll be hooked by the new features.
    photoshop, corel, frontpage, 100 little things ive learned to use...etc

• User profile image
    Bas

La Bomba said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*

It works well for what I do, and I don't want to go through the hassle of re-learning all sorts of stuff for no apparent reason. Also, huge userbase. Many eyeballs... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    figuerres

jonathansampson said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    I'm just curious; I mean, you have to spend hundreds for windows. And that isn't including upgrades in hardware that many experienced as a result of adopting Vista. I can't associate myself with those who complain about this, since my hardware upgrades are for gaming, and not OS's.

both to your OP and the one I am IRT:

Linux is OK but...

I remember the days when I'd need to rebuild the OS, edit config files, go hunting for patches, go hunting for RPM's try to install or build somethning and then spend days figuring out what deps were broken and how to fix them....  perhaps this has become less common - I hope so or the average "Joe User" will never use it.

Now My paycheck comes from writing code that runs on WIndows, so I spend 8-10 hours a day using windows, so that is one part of it.

and as you say:  Games and hard-core apps that are not on Linux, in my case tools like VS, SQL Server, PaintShopPro, and a whole lot of others....

hardware:  users who have old hardware and do not want to spend money should just use what they have .... that's always an option.  and the basic cost of hardware for a really good LInux box is really the same as a really good Vista Box, if you want a $500 Vista box you can find them, or Linux.... just it will not be the super-duper multi-core monster.

at the end of the day Windows is easy to work with, get stuff for it and keep it going.

remember that time is money, so when you are thinking that linux may be less expensive that's really just an "up front" cost.

keep track of time spent on updates, on finding drivers, on finding apps and so on over say 3 years.  also when I buy hardware I buy it based on a 3-6 year lifetime, so I do not generaly buy hardware every year, so the cost should be seen as an annual cost over time, along with software costs etc....

another thing is a personal issue with the Stallman and Carona types,  I used to deal with some very cool folks in the Linux world... but the anti-social banner waving, flame-war-starting morons have went over the top, they ruin the comunity and chase away folks like me.

to me it's not about following any "fashion trend" it's about just getting stuff done and having a paycheck coming in.

• User profile image
    Dovella

jonathansampson said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    My start up in Vista Ultimate in my old PC is 40 sec.

Asus p4p 800
    Pentium IV
    1,5 gb ddr 400
    Nvidia 7600 GS.

Vista Ultimate x86 Work SUPERB in OLD PC.

For install application in Vista (windows) double click
    Pidgin, Aim Icq Ichat & co. not the killer application as Messenger
    With messenger i Call Phone, i see my Mail , i Sync my contact or phone number with my mobile in clud (Live use exchange) and other other other.
    Open office live suite???????
    Live Mail, Writer, Live Photo, Messenger
    and now arrive new version.

I have the experience contrary, Ubuntu gave me too many frustration with hardware.
    and for software does not exist only photoshop
    try Paint.net + Plug in  (total different from the gimp )

and you have in Ubuntu the stupid software like Clone DVD ?
    or iper perfect codec like VCP ?

the reason to use Windows are too many, and then considers that the hardware in most cases is made for Windows (and then is used for other platforms)

some software open source for Windows

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

La Bomba said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*

That's how it's been for me with Linux.  A dual-boot setup is fun to play with, but it doesn't offer me enough to not go right back to Windows as my primary environment.  Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for me with Mac OS:  I'm working with Macs at work now, and my next personal computer will probably be a Mac (dual-booting Windows, but if it weren't for that initial cost of buying Mac Office, I'd probably be able to move almost completely away from Windows).

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

What keeps me on Windows? 

Short one word answer: Linux. 

Longer answer: I've tried many times to jump on bsd/linux, it has become ok platform if you only do browsing and simple office stuff, I still think power users maintain Windows with less troubles. After playing with linux for a while I found I spent too much time on support forums and documentation pages, while on Windows I think my maintaince time is very close zero. 

Besides I hate its gui/config settings interfaces, security model, FS layout, license (BSD freak). I also like my games, VS and Silverlight for C9 on Windows. I don't think 10% increase in cost when buying OEM version for new PC is excessive when you know things will break less in Windows. Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

Windows keeps me on Windows. I think it's a great general purpose OS. What I'd love to see is more developers taking advantage of Windows. So, a slightly different question set (but not worthy of a new thread) is: What keeps you writing apps for Windows? What do you like about developing for Windows? What don't you like? As an OS, it's very solid and will continue to evolve to meet the needs of users and the industry. For developers, you can write an app that will run in a number of hardware configurations. That's not an easy feat and the Windows People deserve some kudos!

Keep on coding. You're a big part of the reason why Windows is Windows.
    C

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

I noticed that Ubuntu (even with Compiz Fusion) uses less than half the memory that Vista Ultimate uses, and this is great when you've only got 2gb total. Having 1gb of it taken by the OS isn't too pleasant.

Correct me if I'm wrong (in case they've fixed it), but copiz doesn't use any anti-aliasing and usees some cr*p filtering. When Compiz runs its effects it looks very very unpolished and bad, I don't mind if Vista takes 4x as much resoures to do effect properly.

I have no idea why users don't complain masively about it, I guess it's the same thing as was with pseudo-trasparency - it looked great in Youtube, and that's all it's great for - to lure new users to try Linux.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Desktop Linux isn't better than Windows in any ways that I care about. It wasn't back when I ran RedHat 6.x-7 as my primary desktop for a few misguided years*, and while it has improved since then, it IMHO still isn't better than where Windows is now.

Mac OS X is better than Windows in ways that I care about, but not better enough. And it's still not better in some ways that I do care about. So I stick with Windows. Its not perfect but I know its faults and know how to work around them. And If I can't I'll complain about them here Smiley

PS: Vista runs great in 2GB for me.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.