Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Maria Russo not feeling connected

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wisemx
  • User profile image
    Bas

Let's start with the premise of these two famous rich people out discount shoe shopping. Ha, ha! They don't really have to shop at Payless like the half a million people who lost their jobs this year.

Gates and Seinfeld may both be schlumpy dressers, but their regular-guy qualities stop there. Neither is the Warren Buffett kind of rich, the frugal sort who knows the value of a dollar and doesn't put himself above the working man (or so we believe about Buffett). Instead the ad seems to be somehow making light of bargain-shopping, as if it's just a lark for these guys, or some kind of joke that we're not quite in on. 

Of all the things to complain about in that ad, people are upset because it shows rich people shopping in a bargain store?

God, the internet makes me cry.

The camera lingers on Gates face as he says "leather," and he appears to be attempting to give a meaningful look. Are we supposed to be interpreting something naughty in that exchange?

Yeah, you could think that. If you're not a completely braindead dumbass, though, you might just see it as Gates realizing that the shoe sucks.

It's not unreasonable to go there, especially after we've witnessed the fondling of Gates' feet by a kneeling Seinfeld.

Might want to check up on the definition of 'unreasonable' there.

The most disturbing part of the commercial begins with a cut to a Latino family standing outside the store and looking in the window as they too eat churros. "Es el Conquistador?" the woman says. The man replies in Spanish, "They run tight." There are English subtitles. These dark-skinned people stand close together and have befuddled expressions on their faces. They seem to take Shoe Circus very seriously. Perhaps they're supposed to represent the consumers "around the globe" that Microsoft is trying to "reconnect" with, but the depiction seems condescending and borderline offensive.

Yes, because Latinos are offensive, right?

For God's sake. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've read on the internet all year. Is this a reprint from an article on Infoworld, or something?

• User profile image
    wisemx

Bas said:
    *snip*

Yes, because Latinos are offensive, right?

For God's sake. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've read on the internet all year. Is this a reprint from an article on Infoworld, or something?

I was as upset at the article as you are.
    From my perspective Bill Gates is a man of integrity.
      Salute,
        Mark Wisecarver

• User profile image
    kettch

wisemx said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    I was as upset at the article as you are.
    From my perspective Bill Gates is a man of integrity.
      Salute,
        Mark Wisecarver
    From what I recall, doesn't Bill make that his kids earn their own money. It seems like I read an article a long time ago about him wanted them to understand the value of money. Besides, what is it that people see that is so wrong about being rich. Rather, what is it that people see wrong about earning enough money to be rich? Exactly how much money has the author of the article given to charity?

Yeah, I thought so.

• User profile image
    wisemx

kettch said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    From what I recall, doesn't Bill make that his kids earn their own money. It seems like I read an article a long time ago about him wanted them to understand the value of money. Besides, what is it that people see that is so wrong about being rich. Rather, what is it that people see wrong about earning enough money to be rich? Exactly how much money has the author of the article given to charity?

Yeah, I thought so.
    I stand firm: Bill Gates is a man of Integrity.
      Salute,
        Mark Wisecarver

• User profile image
    JChung2006

That ad did a really nice job of making me want to try a churro.

I'm waiting for Burger King to come out with churros.  Oh wait, sorry, wrong Crispin Porter+Bogusky client.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.