Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Interesting things about the Chrome source

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I have been browsing through the Chrome source and found a few interesting things:
    1) one of the tool projects is build in C# - super cool.
    2) they seem to create some ActiveX shims for plugins. I wonder if they support the IE plugin model.
    3) the website on debugging has a VB.NET code sample that apparently is used as a makro to enable some kind of debugging features.
    4) they reversed some of the IE structures to do importing of settings.
    5) last but not least: the whole thing is build in Visual Studio and compiles very fine there.

It seem that they use a lot of .NET and Microsoft technologies to create chrome. Quite cool and funny.

What did you find?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I haven't downloaded the source code yet, but I was surprised about the fact that it was built with Visual Studio 2005 and about the online developer documentation. Some interesting sections: Getting around the Chromium Source Code, Coding Style, Design Documents, User Experience. I particulary liked the last 2. The design documents cleary explain the architecture and some specific features, and the user experience section describes the motivations, assumptions and directions behind the UI.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

I found it ... extremely buggy. Smiley
    It's even not ready to "play with". New JS engine is fast, but very unstable. It hangs on most "JS-driven" sites such as C9. That's why so many problems with AJAXed sites.

Will see in next 25 years...

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Erisan

Chrome can be build even on Linux (There is no working Chromium-based browser on Linux) - Build Intructions

But nice project overall. Hopefully Linux version will not be Wine-based.
    Competition makes things better - Chrome's jittered JavaScript kills Silverlight?

---

"The WebKit team is currently busy, integrating the patches made for Google Chrome into the main WebKit repository. This includes the new V8 JavaScript engine and the Skia graphics library. Most integration work is done by Google employee and WebKit reviewer Eric Seidel. V8 is a fast, BSD licensed JavaScript engine that runs on 32bit x86 and ARM CPUs. Due that platform restriction, V8 probably won't replace WebKit's new SquirrelFish engine anytime soon as default, because SquirrelFish has broader CPU architecture support. Epiphany developer and WebKit reviewer Alp Toker gives an overview about Skia. Unlike V8, Skia is licensed under the Apache License 2.0. Some of Skia's main features are optional OpenGL-based acceleration, thread-safety, 10,000 less lines of code compared to Cairo, and high portability." - OSNews

Chrome's Process Model Explained

performance, chrome, mozilla and tracemonkey

• User profile image
    stevo_

Erisan said:
    Chrome can be build even on Linux (There is no working Chromium-based browser on Linux) - Build Intructions

But nice project overall. Hopefully Linux version will not be Wine-based.
    Competition makes things better - Chrome's jittered JavaScript kills Silverlight?

---

"The WebKit team is currently busy, integrating the patches made for Google Chrome into the main WebKit repository. This includes the new V8 JavaScript engine and the Skia graphics library. Most integration work is done by Google employee and WebKit reviewer Eric Seidel. V8 is a fast, BSD licensed JavaScript engine that runs on 32bit x86 and ARM CPUs. Due that platform restriction, V8 probably won't replace WebKit's new SquirrelFish engine anytime soon as default, because SquirrelFish has broader CPU architecture support. Epiphany developer and WebKit reviewer Alp Toker gives an overview about Skia. Unlike V8, Skia is licensed under the Apache License 2.0. Some of Skia's main features are optional OpenGL-based acceleration, thread-safety, 10,000 less lines of code compared to Cairo, and high portability." - OSNews

Chrome's Process Model Explained

performance, chrome, mozilla and tracemonkey

Hahaha that article about jittered js is hilarious.. javascript is slower than sin right now it would need a 1000x performance to even be close to silverlight / flash performance, even then how is equal performance going to kill it? silverlight and flash are more than just being able to manipulate dom and do little bits of math..

• User profile image
    matthews

stevo_ said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*

Hahaha that article about jittered js is hilarious.. javascript is slower than sin right now it would need a 1000x performance to even be close to silverlight / flash performance, even then how is equal performance going to kill it? silverlight and flash are more than just being able to manipulate dom and do little bits of math..

Silverlight is very nice to use; having complete programmability with a language like C# feels years ahead of using Javascript or Actionscript. Javascript has it's uses, but for making webapps I think using Silverlight (or even Flash) makes a lot more sense.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

matthews said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Silverlight is very nice to use; having complete programmability with a language like C# feels years ahead of using Javascript or Actionscript. Javascript has it's uses, but for making webapps I think using Silverlight (or even Flash) makes a lot more sense.
    yep, that's the reason why I find Silverlight (> 1) appealing, the integration is better and you don't have to worry about browser incompatibilities...

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

lg-

where did got the sc? (i tried searching the net but i couldn't found the link to download)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Raghavendra_Mudugal said:
    lg-

where did got the sc? (i tried searching the net but i couldn't found the link to download)
    Chromium Developer Documentation: Getting started.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Chromium Developer Documentation: Getting started.
    tq; tc! Smiley

• User profile image
    JChung2006

TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    tq; tc! Smiley
    WTF?

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

JChung2006 said:
    *snip*
    WTF?
    <ohsilly>tq- thank u; tc- TommyCarlier</ohsilly>  Smiley it's as simple as this...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.