Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Newsweek: How Apple Turned into Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

    One Bad Apple

    Apple is looking like what Microsoft was 10 years ago—a Bigfoot that squeezes smaller competitors.
    Published Sep 6, 2008
    From the magazine issue dated Sep 15, 2008

    A former lieutenant of Steve Jobs's once told me something surprising about his ex-boss. "Steve is a monopolist at heart," he said. "He's just like Bill Gates. He just hasn't been as successful." Well, Jobs is getting there. This summer, Apple's market capitalization surged past Google's, making it the financial king of Silicon Valley. True, Apple still holds only 11 percent of the U.S. consumer PC market, according to researcher NPD, but its influence is far greater than that market share suggests. The iconic iPod dominates its market, and the iTunes music store has sold more than 5 billion songs, making it the No. 1 music retailer in America, ahead of Wal-Mart, according to IDC. Apple's iPhone is the No. 3 smart phone in the United States, according to NPD.

    . . .
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/157545/page/1

  • User profile image
    Bass

    I was eating an Apple when I saw this. A big juicy Macintosh apple too. By the time I finished reading the article, I was finished with the Apple too.

  • User profile image
    Dovella



    boys do not worry,
    with the arrival of Windows 7 + a new Microsoft return , to annihilate Apple

  • User profile image
    Jason I

    Dovella said:


    boys do not worry,
    with the arrival of Windows 7 + a new Microsoft return , to annihilate Apple

    *sniff sniff*  - Do I smell sarcasm?

    Sseriously, being a monopoly (or monopolist) alone isn't a recipe for disaster. It's how other people view you. If you're considered a benevolent monopoly (generally), no one will care if you have the bulk of a market (or markets). A good spin campaign will highlight the benefits of a one company system, and most people will believe you. It's when you have a monopoly and a negative image when you need to worry.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Dovella said:


    boys do not worry,
    with the arrival of Windows 7 + a new Microsoft return , to annihilate Apple

    But Microsoft doesn't make PCs. If Apple has 11% of the computer market share that not something that should fully be thrown into Microsoft's face. It's up to the Dells, IBM, etc. to step up. It's up to the NVidias too to make better Vista drivers even though they had 3+ years before launch and a few years after launch to do so.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    Jason I said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    *sniff sniff*  - Do I smell sarcasm?

    Sseriously, being a monopoly (or monopolist) alone isn't a recipe for disaster. It's how other people view you. If you're considered a benevolent monopoly (generally), no one will care if you have the bulk of a market (or markets). A good spin campaign will highlight the benefits of a one company system, and most people will believe you. It's when you have a monopoly and a negative image when you need to worry.
    Emulating Microsoft isn't a bad business strategy. Hey, it's been pretty successful and made some people allot of money and it hasn't killed anyone and so the harm is?

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Harlequin said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    But Microsoft doesn't make PCs. If Apple has 11% of the computer market share that not something that should fully be thrown into Microsoft's face. It's up to the Dells, IBM, etc. to step up. It's up to the NVidias too to make better Vista drivers even though they had 3+ years before launch and a few years after launch to do so.
    Er not!!!
    Apple have 11% in USA
    in the World is 6-7%

    +99.9.9.9% of Apple user  have parallels bootcamp wmware etc for use Windows.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    Dovella said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    Er not!!!
    Apple have 11% in USA
    in the World is 6-7%

    +99.9.9.9% of Apple user  have parallels bootcamp wmware etc for use Windows.

    orly where did you get that stats from? I'm more in that 99.(9) of Apple users hate Windows or doesn't want to use anything else than Mac OS-X

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Ion Todirel said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    orly where did you get that stats from? I'm more in that 99.(9) of Apple users hate Windows or doesn't want to use anything else than Mac OS-X
    the stats  have been provided by an analyst who only know me and I can not name Wink

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    Dovella said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    the stats  have been provided by an analyst who only know me and I can not name Wink
    you're joking right? This is your argument?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    harumscarum said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    you're joking right? This is your argument?
    No no, he needs to add "FACT!!!!!!!" to it, then it's all of his argument.

  • User profile image
    BitFlipper

    Dovella said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    Er not!!!
    Apple have 11% in USA
    in the World is 6-7%

    +99.9.9.9% of Apple user  have parallels bootcamp wmware etc for use Windows.

    The scary part is that *if* Apple ever gets any real martketshare you can kiss freedom of choice goodbye.  At least with MS you get to choose from a large variety of hardware manufacturers that are all in direct competition with each other. 

    Now imagine Apple being as successful as MS (~shiver~).  Ugh, that would be a bad day for those that don't like to have one and only one overpriced, baubalized hardware platform rammed down our throats.  Kiss computer diversity and competition goodbye.

    Not everyone drinks deep from the Apple Kool-Aid Well, although apparently it is a strong mixture because those that drank from the Well fall hard into Accepting Jobs as their Savior.  Pretty sad really.

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    It's weird to see anti-monopolist talk on a Microsoft forum.  You guys need a reality check in a bad way.

  • User profile image
    Cyonix

    JChung2006 said:
    It's weird to see anti-monopolist talk on a Microsoft forum.  You guys need a reality check in a bad way.
    I don’t think it’s weird. Channel9 can be critical when it comes to Microsoft’s short-comings, why not Apple’s? I think the majority of us support Microsoft because of a great platform, not because they are a convicted monopolist. The fact they are a convicted monopolist shouldn’t vindicate Apple.

    BitFlipper’s point is spot on.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    JChung2006 said:
    It's weird to see anti-monopolist talk on a Microsoft forum.  You guys need a reality check in a bad way.

    MS, Apple, and Google are all evil monopolies. The only difference is that MS is a bigger target and tends to lose many lawsuits.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BitFlipper

    JChung2006 said:
    It's weird to see anti-monopolist talk on a Microsoft forum.  You guys need a reality check in a bad way.

    I was pointing out what the difference would be if Apple had MS' success (if the roles were reversed).  We would be locked into one hardware + OS platform, let alone one OS platform.  Have you ever compared the amount of hardware choices/form factors that you can run Windows on with what you can run OS X on?  There are so many specialized hardware that Windows runs on compared to what OS X runs on.  And this is purely because Apple doesn't let anyone else run their precious OS on any non-Apple hardware.  There is no technical reason why it can't, it is just that Apple tried it before and was incapable of competing with the other hardware vendors, hence it stopped any other vendors from legally selling hardware that runs Apple's OS.  My point is that if Apple was actually successful, kiss any choices goodbye.

    If you think such a scenario won't be dramatically worse than MS' "monopoly" then you are blindfolded and you need to pull your head out and take a breath from all your Apple Kool-Aid gulping.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    BitFlipper said:
    JChung2006 said:
    *snip*

    I was pointing out what the difference would be if Apple had MS' success (if the roles were reversed).  We would be locked into one hardware + OS platform, let alone one OS platform.  Have you ever compared the amount of hardware choices/form factors that you can run Windows on with what you can run OS X on?  There are so many specialized hardware that Windows runs on compared to what OS X runs on.  And this is purely because Apple doesn't let anyone else run their precious OS on any non-Apple hardware.  There is no technical reason why it can't, it is just that Apple tried it before and was incapable of competing with the other hardware vendors, hence it stopped any other vendors from legally selling hardware that runs Apple's OS.  My point is that if Apple was actually successful, kiss any choices goodbye.

    If you think such a scenario won't be dramatically worse than MS' "monopoly" then you are blindfolded and you need to pull your head out and take a breath from all your Apple Kool-Aid gulping.

    In a reversed world one thing would be same: lawers. They would have had sued Apple long ago.

  • User profile image
    jh71283

    Dovella said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    the stats  have been provided by an analyst who only know me and I can not name Wink
    SYNTAX ERROR

    Maybe you should tell your analyst that more than one decimal point is invalid...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.