Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

What was the first website you ever visited?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Let's go back in time. You got this new beast called "the internet, the web". What was the first website you ever visited?

    Mine was nba.com">http://www.nba.com/">nba.com Smiley It felt so huge because content from somewhere else on the world was streamed right into my parent's basement.

    Haha. The good old days:

    NBA FAQ said:
    Downloading the Netscape Navigator browser or Microsoft Internet Explorer is free through AOL. It's easy. Just follow the instructions for either Windows 3.1 or Windows '95, and in 10 minutes, you're ready to go.

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    PBS.org">http://www.pbs.org/">PBS.org

    ..shut up, I was a huge Arthur fan back then.

  • User profile image
    kettch

    We got a Prodigy trial with our first computer. My dad and I got onto the news page and for kicks looked at a story about the Pope washing somebody's feet. There was a picture that took about two minutes to load, one small line at a time.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    kettch said:

    We got a Prodigy trial with our first computer. My dad and I got onto the news page and for kicks looked at a story about the Pope washing somebody's feet. There was a picture that took about two minutes to load, one small line at a time.

    kimo.com.tw
    I was still in Taiwan at the time. Great search engine.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    magicalclick said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    kimo.com.tw
    I was still in Taiwan at the time. Great search engine.
    I honestly can't reember which site it was -- but it was in 1992, so it was probably a University site somewhere.

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    netscape.net

    and created first email a/c (still using it... but now it is @aim.com. I liked the name "<name>@netscape.net", wow name with browser.. so i searched for @ie.com or @internetexplorer.net for some moment... hehe!!)

    Fun!

  • User profile image
    jh71283

    Altavista.... back when it looked cool....



    My first browser was compuserver, and I had a blistering 14.4k modem attached to my 486/33.

    I was SO jealous when my friend got to 16mb of ram...


  • User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Sven Groot said:
    Nice try, Sven.   Wink

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Sven Groot said:
    I don't know which was the first, but I do remember that Altavista was the bomb back then. And I remember that my first e-mail account was with Hotmail, before it was bought by Microsoft.

  • User profile image
    jh71283

    TommyCarlier said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    I don't know which was the first, but I do remember that Altavista was the bomb back then. And I remember that my first e-mail account was with Hotmail, before it was bought by Microsoft.

    my first email address was at myownemail.com. It was also cool.

  • User profile image
    jh71283

    TommyCarlier said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    I don't know which was the first, but I do remember that Altavista was the bomb back then. And I remember that my first e-mail account was with Hotmail, before it was bought by Microsoft.

    Back in those days there was a lot more of a feeling that anybody could fire up a designer and create a homepage, so that seemed to be a lot more user content.

    Now it seems you either have to go for a highly polished pofessional looking website, or yet another cookie-cutter blog.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    TommyCarlier said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    I don't know which was the first, but I do remember that Altavista was the bomb back then. And I remember that my first e-mail account was with Hotmail, before it was bought by Microsoft.

    Yah, I'd have to say my first was a search engine.  Probably Lycos or Yahoo.  Hotmail visits came shortly after that.  It was all done at school (probably around '95 or '96).  My parents thought it was silly to pay for this thing called "the internet" so other than browsing at school I never had "full time" internet until I got to college (1997).  I was so late to the game.  Tongue Out  I tried AOL for like a week in '94 but I didn't really browse websites with it (and then had an enourmous phone bill to pay afterwards because I didn't understand how it "dialed-up" at the time  Tongue Out).

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    I don't remember the site (probably the university's homepage), but the browser I used was lynx. Smiley And I've been fighting for good down-level Web experiences ever since. Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Bas

    I think it was Sierra.com. They had huge round grey buttons on the front page. It was pretty spectacular for 1995 or 96 or whenever it was.

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    jh71283 said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Back in those days there was a lot more of a feeling that anybody could fire up a designer and create a homepage, so that seemed to be a lot more user content.

    Now it seems you either have to go for a highly polished pofessional looking website, or yet another cookie-cutter blog.

    You do realize that you're contradicting yourself. The "Everyone" that could fire up an HTML designer was a far smaller group than the people who use "cookie-cutter" blogs. There might have been a lot more user-generated DESIGN, but certainly not more CONTENT.

  • User profile image
    Dodo

    Lycos in 1995/96 I think, I'm not sure, before that... there weren't any famous websites but some 'mailboxes' to dial at with your modem you downloaded files from or the Compuserve/AOL network, do you call that websites?

  • User profile image
    elmer

    JChung2006 said:

    I don't remember the site (probably the university's homepage), but the browser I used was lynx. Smiley And I've been fighting for good down-level Web experiences ever since. Tongue Out

    Yes, LYNX was my first exposure to the "web" - and after living on compuserve, it was like... AMAZING!! ... LOL.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.