Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Usability of the new poll on the site...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Looks like you're using some 3rd party poll? Problem is that when you come(while logged in) in you see the radio buttons, as if you have a chance to vote again. Vote again, and it tells you you've already voted. What a poll needs to do is check to see if the logged in user has already answered, and simply show the responses.

I'm sure this poll doesn't know who is logged in when it loads, but it really needs to, otherwise it looks like it was cheaply thrown in.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Harlequin said:
    I'm sure this poll doesn't know who is logged in when it loads, but it really needs to, otherwise it looks like it was cheaply thrown in.
    Which it was.

• User profile image
    tfraser

I don't think it's possible for the poll to know who has voted if it is completely separate from the account system used on Channel 9.

Edit 1: Looking at the PollDaddy web site it seems that Channel 9 is using the free account, with which only one hundred responses are recorded each month anyway.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

New poll: do you want a better poll:

Yes
    No
    Meh

Herbie

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Dr Herbie said:

Yes
    No
    Meh

Herbie
    Just hope this PollDaddy service they use doesn't store our email addresses and sells them to 3rd parties when they fold =)

• User profile image
    Duncanma

1. There is no limit on the # of responses using the free service (the 100 is for survey responses, poll responses are unlimited)
    2. I agree about the 'show me the results if I've already voted' and I passed that feedback along to them... funny thing is, that is how their software always worked from the start, but after a lot of people asking for it to work this way they changed it. They've suggested that they'll make it an option (and we'd choose it, of course).
    3. Sell your email addresses? When did the poll ask you to enter your email address?
    4. "cheaply added in" ... of course it was, it is using an existing service and someone else's code instead of writing our own. That is a pretty common practice on the web, building everything yourself seems like a poor use of our time. Before we spent that time, I thought I'd try a 3rd party poll and see if it was suitable.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Dr Herbie said:

Yes
    No
    Meh

Herbie
    meh

I actually have polldaddy.com blocked.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Duncanma said:
    1. There is no limit on the # of responses using the free service (the 100 is for survey responses, poll responses are unlimited)
    2. I agree about the 'show me the results if I've already voted' and I passed that feedback along to them... funny thing is, that is how their software always worked from the start, but after a lot of people asking for it to work this way they changed it. They've suggested that they'll make it an option (and we'd choose it, of course).
    3. Sell your email addresses? When did the poll ask you to enter your email address?
    4. "cheaply added in" ... of course it was, it is using an existing service and someone else's code instead of writing our own. That is a pretty common practice on the web, building everything yourself seems like a poor use of our time. Before we spent that time, I thought I'd try a 3rd party poll and see if it was suitable.

If PollDaddy knows I've responded already, it has to have info previously passed on to it from C9. I'm just guessing it's our email address and not some LiveId Guid or something...

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Harlequin said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

If PollDaddy knows I've responded already, it has to have info previously passed on to it from C9. I'm just guessing it's our email address and not some LiveId Guid or something...

We don't even have your email address (in the interest of privacy, we removed those from our database and replaced them with just a hash of the address to enable lookup by email for resetting passwords), and we don't pass anything on to PollDaddy at all. Passing along information like that would be a direct violation of our own privacy policies...

They do their own validation based on a cookie check combined with IP address. If we decide to stick with them we can turn off the IP address check (to avoid blocking multiple users behind a single proxy) and they provide tools to avoid fraudulent voting.

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.