Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Whats wrong with Hotmail?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    darklotus

For the past 2 weeks or so all i get is "Server Too Busy" messages or the page never completes loading. I have used different systems, different browsers, and i get that message more often then i get my email. Thank god i am not paying for that service. I wouldnt want to pay money and get messages like that. Is this something thats going to get fixed?

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

I got that message too, but only twice. It seems to be working now, for me at least. Where do you live, and what kind of connection do you have?

Hotmail is a bit slow lately. I wonder if their updating something.

• User profile image
    darklotus

Since i posted this message, i havent been able to get back in to my inbox. I even rebooted my computer. I live in florida and to the best of my knowledge we have at least a T1 here at work.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

"What's wrong with Hotmail?"

Plenty of things:

a) Here in the UK, the localised adverts are mainly for loans and mortgages. Then we wonder why house-prices are falling upwards and national average debt passing record levels. I consider all excessive advertising for "outgoing" financial services to be unethical.

b) Hotmail isn't XHTML-Compliant or Semantic Wink

c) Hotmail fails in Lynx

d) Hotmail flashes a "page cannot be reached" error when you try to log-in using Firefox before forwarding you to your account page

e) It's parent, MSN, is guilty of serving broken stylesheets to non-Microsoft browsers, most notable Opera.

f) Ironically, ever since Hotmail was taken over in 1997, it's always been slower. Originally it was written in compiled CGI. Hotmail is Microsoft/MSN's flagship internet application, yet doesn't use ASP.Net. That is surprising.

....And other things, I need not list them here.

• User profile image
    JDanielSmith

It looks like once again Hotmail is having problems: http://news.com.com/Hotmail+outage+peeves+some+e-mail+users/2100-1038_3-5587906.html?tag=nefd.top. I paid them $20 for Hotmail Extra - they should put us on different servers or something!

After submitting a support email, I got a really lame response from MSN which basically said "we know, we're working on it", but no ETA.  "Please remain confident that Hotmail is in control of the situation and is committed to serve you better."

They could have at least told me in advance about the problem rather than waiting until I sent an email message.

• User profile image
    billh

JDanielSmith wrote:
    It looks like once again Hotmail is having problems: http://news.com.com/Hotmail+outage+peeves+some+e-mail+users/2100-1038_3-5587906.html?tag=nefd.top. I paid them $20 for Hotmail Extra - they should put us on different servers or something!

After submitting a support email, I got a really lame response from MSN which basically said "we know, we're working on it", but no ETA.  "Please remain confident that Hotmail is in control of the situation and is committed to serve you better."

They could have at least told me in advance about the problem rather than waiting until I sent an email message.

By any chance did you send that e-mail via Hotmail?

"Please remain confident that Hotmail is in control of the situation..."  Well, that's the problem right there.  Sounds like something a panicked announcer says just as a crowd begins to riot.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.