Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Live Mesh as a substitute for FolderShare

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    chicagonyc

I've been using Foldershare for quite some time now, and it's worked great (except for the surprise update that destroyed synching to WinXP x64). It's very straightforward to use, and has great performance (except when MS's servers go down inexplicably).

But I've been bumping up against its 10 folder and 10,000 file limit within folders. So I downloaded and installed Mesh. I'm not too interested in the cloud storage option -- I have many gigs of files to sync. It has one strange interface for P2P syncing (eg, I had to look at some hidden little instruction within the FAQ, and read Paul Thurott). Basically you have to right click on a folder in your computer, select "Share in the Mesh", then go online and disable syncing with the Live Desktop. Obvious -- not.

But I can't figure out how to select two particular locations on separate computers, something easily done with Foldershare. If I "Mesh Share" one folder, it does appear on the desktop of my other computers. But I don't want it to. I want to synchronize two folders on two machines in their respective locations, not populate desktops!

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    LeighS

If you right click on the folder you are sharing, 
        Select Live Mesh Options
            Change Sync Settings

From there you can select where the folder is synchronized.

• User profile image
    CKurt

I can say I fould out exactly the same this. With FolderShare it was more easy to select the destination of a sync on a device !

I'm looking into it. Maybe via:

• Right Click on folder
    • Mesh Options
    • Sync Options
    • Browse
    But just as P2P syncing, you should be able to do this BEFORE you create the sync !

• User profile image
    chicagonyc

LeighS said:
    If you right click on the folder you are sharing, 
        Select Live Mesh Options
            Change Sync Settings

From there you can select where the folder is synchronized.
    I can select the location of the local sync in Right Click->Add Folder to your Live Mesh->Options, but not the remote destination! That's the problem. If I do this, a copy of the folder I am selecting is synced onto the desktop of the remote machines. But I'm not in the habit of accessing all my files from the desktop (who is?!)...

This is were Foldershare is pretty straightforward about selecting file paths on every machine. If only it didn't have all those limitations...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

chicagonyc said:
    LeighS said:
    *snip*
    I can select the location of the local sync in Right Click->Add Folder to your Live Mesh->Options, but not the remote destination! That's the problem. If I do this, a copy of the folder I am selecting is synced onto the desktop of the remote machines. But I'm not in the habit of accessing all my files from the desktop (who is?!)...

This is were Foldershare is pretty straightforward about selecting file paths on every machine. If only it didn't have all those limitations...
    If you delete the synced folder from the desktop, you should see that folder in the "Not synchronized with this device" section in the Live Mesh Folders shell folder inside My Computer.  If you double-click on that, you should be able to specify where the folder is synced.

• User profile image
    figuerres

chicagonyc said:
    LeighS said:
    *snip*

Keep a  few things in mind:

1) this is very beta, so what you see today is not final...
    2) there will be an SDK for developers so a 3rd party dev might build new stuff that does what you want on top of the mesh SDK.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.