Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Should Microsoft get into the PC hardware business?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Ed Bott Microsoft Report

I really enjoyed watching this recent interview with Microsoft Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich on Microsoft’s TechNet Edge. He covers a wide range of topics, but the one that got my attention is a two-minute snippet near the end, when the interviewer asks whether Mark feels that Microsoft needs to make its own desktop hardware. (If you want to see and hear this discussion for yourself, skip ahead to the 34:03 mark in the video.)

Do you think Microsoft needs to make desktop hardware or certain desktop/server PC hardware?

Continue here

• User profile image
    kettch

No.

What they need to do is remember that they are the 900lb (408.2331333kg) gorilla and threaten to sit on any hardware manufacturer that makes a product that craps on a good Windows experience.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

kettch said:

No.

What they need to do is remember that they are the 900lb (408.2331333kg) gorilla and threaten to sit on any hardware manufacturer that makes a product that craps on a good Windows experience.

I hope they do, but that defeat the core purpose of Windows, that is MS provide the software, so hardware vendors can focus on hardware. Windows is an open platform for everyone to make hardware and software on, no loyalty fee or requirements.

I still hope MS make some really expensive overpriced PC for demonstration. Especially selling models for like Surface, Tablet, and UMPC. Hardware vendors weren't pushing those enough.

Making their own PC also gives them resources to find better hardware technology that goes well with future computing. And they would learn the challanges that other manufactures encountered.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    stevo_

kettch said:

No.

I disagree on some points, I'm not sure how heavy Microsoft can be.. its only software after all, can other software companys then "threaten to sit" on people like dell for making systems that don't run their software well? Vista has the whole 'designed for vista', or works on vista.. but even then it doesn't enforce the system experience.. it doesn't say if dell can install a ton of shtty software with the systems, nor does it say how complete the systems should be, should they include a webcam? should they look good?

I keep thinking Microsoft should enter into making a base experience for windows, and that experience should be a lot better than what you get today with prebuilts.. it should contain just the OS, and any software the user decides they want pre-installing.. but nothing more.

• User profile image
    Dovella
  • User profile image
    Bass

It would be interesting, but I think the OEMs would object and then probably sue.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.