Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Vista and FAT32

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

Ahhhrr,

I'm backing up an old FAT32 formatted drive that has Windows ME installed. Damn it, I need to get some data off because the installation is corrupt and im too lazy to re-install ME. I hooked it up to a USB Drive Enclosure, it shows on Vista but asks to format ....

Any suggestions? .. Gotta have this stuff!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Vista supports FAT32 just fine. If it can't read the disk, either it's not recognizing the disk properly, or the disk is corrupt.

• User profile image
    littleguru

USB sticks usually also come with FAT32... that's a proof of that Vista supports it fine Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Steve411

littleguru said:
    USB sticks usually also come with FAT32... that's a proof of that Vista supports it fine Tongue Out
    I thought it was FAT16, or that might just be the MMC cards. I know that Vista supports it now but still not sure as to why it's not letting me read the data. I'm using R-Studio to get some data off but would much rather use the capability through Explorer.

Apparently the HD is not corrupted if R-Studio can read it fine.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Steve411 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    I thought it was FAT16, or that might just be the MMC cards. I know that Vista supports it now but still not sure as to why it's not letting me read the data. I'm using R-Studio to get some data off but would much rather use the capability through Explorer.

Apparently the HD is not corrupted if R-Studio can read it fine.

It only means your HD is not physically damanged, thus, R-Studio can still get the data that is not corrupted.

You know like, you accidentally delete a movie in your HDD, the data is still there physically, so you can still retrieve it, but it is virtually gone.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Stebet

Make sure the drive mode is set to "Cable Select" before inserting it in the USB drive enclosure. A lot of enclosures have problems with drives set to master or slave.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.