Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista and FAT32

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

Ahhhrr,

I'm backing up an old FAT32 formatted drive that has Windows ME installed. Damn it, I need to get some data off because the installation is corrupt and im too lazy to re-install ME. I hooked it up to a USB Drive Enclosure, it shows on Vista but asks to format ....

Any suggestions? .. Gotta have this stuff!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Vista supports FAT32 just fine. If it can't read the disk, either it's not recognizing the disk properly, or the disk is corrupt.

• User profile image
    littleguru

USB sticks usually also come with FAT32... that's a proof of that Vista supports it fine Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Steve411

littleguru said:
    USB sticks usually also come with FAT32... that's a proof of that Vista supports it fine Tongue Out
    I thought it was FAT16, or that might just be the MMC cards. I know that Vista supports it now but still not sure as to why it's not letting me read the data. I'm using R-Studio to get some data off but would much rather use the capability through Explorer.

Apparently the HD is not corrupted if R-Studio can read it fine.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Steve411 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    I thought it was FAT16, or that might just be the MMC cards. I know that Vista supports it now but still not sure as to why it's not letting me read the data. I'm using R-Studio to get some data off but would much rather use the capability through Explorer.

Apparently the HD is not corrupted if R-Studio can read it fine.

It only means your HD is not physically damanged, thus, R-Studio can still get the data that is not corrupted.

You know like, you accidentally delete a movie in your HDD, the data is still there physically, so you can still retrieve it, but it is virtually gone.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Stebet

Make sure the drive mode is set to "Cable Select" before inserting it in the USB drive enclosure. A lot of enclosures have problems with drives set to master or slave.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.