Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ubuntu 9.04 announced; Google collaboration

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000481.html

    Some features planned:
    + Greatly improved bootup speed, and improved performance in general
    + Bazaar VCS capabilities on all Ubuntu packages
    + Google collaboration to meld the desktop with the web

    The whole OS landscape might get a little interesting. Just a tad bit.

    The final release is planned for April 2009.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    I wonder if they are going to make their own OS after Ubuntu is getting popular.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    magicalclick said:
    I wonder if they are going to make their own OS after Ubuntu is getting popular.
    Jaunty Jackelope?  Ubuntu's naming scheme gets even weirder.

  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    Jaunty Jackelope?  Ubuntu's naming scheme gets even weirder.
    hehe!

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    I tried going over the announcement to see what's so interesting about that 'melding of web and desktop', but could find nothing to suggest it will change the OS landscape. They speak vaguely of 'weblications', which basically sounds like Google Gears bundled onto the desktop (i.e. Google Chrome for Linux), with a ClickOnce-like deployment model that blurs the location of the app. 

    I don't think a new browser and a new shortcut handler are that big of a difference.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Yggdrasil said:
    I tried going over the announcement to see what's so interesting about that 'melding of web and desktop', but could find nothing to suggest it will change the OS landscape. They speak vaguely of 'weblications', which basically sounds like Google Gears bundled onto the desktop (i.e. Google Chrome for Linux), with a ClickOnce-like deployment model that blurs the location of the app. 
    I don't think a new browser and a new shortcut handler are that big of a difference.

    The company I work for is called Weblications Tongue Out

    So if they use the term weblication (desktop application that seamlessly integrates the web?), we might get some name recognition. Although the  apps we develop don't fit that description exactly.

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    Jaunty Jackelope?  Ubuntu's naming scheme gets even weirder.
    It's not only Ubuntu with the weird names, it's the whole Linux community. The Firefox clone that came with the old version of gNewSense (another stupid name) was called BurningDog. That's not just weird, it's wrong.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    tfraser said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    It's not only Ubuntu with the weird names, it's the whole Linux community. The Firefox clone that came with the old version of gNewSense (another stupid name) was called BurningDog. That's not just weird, it's wrong.
    Naming an application is surprisingly difficult. How would you name a new browser? The best name I could find (that didn't already exist) for my über-cool browser was Browzr. Yeah, I know it sucks (both the name and the browser). I once created a templating system which I called Kanarie (or KTS: Kanarie Template System), which is Dutch for Canary. It did have a cool mascotte Smiley

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    TommyCarlier said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    Naming an application is surprisingly difficult. How would you name a new browser? The best name I could find (that didn't already exist) for my über-cool browser was Browzr. Yeah, I know it sucks (both the name and the browser). I once created a templating system which I called Kanarie (or KTS: Kanarie Template System), which is Dutch for Canary. It did have a cool mascotte Smiley

    If it weren't for Motorola's rampant use of the 'zr' suffix I think Browzr would be a good name for a web browser. But I agree that deciding on names for projects can be difficult, most large software companies probably dedicate entire teams to doing just that.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    TommyCarlier said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    Naming an application is surprisingly difficult. How would you name a new browser? The best name I could find (that didn't already exist) for my über-cool browser was Browzr. Yeah, I know it sucks (both the name and the browser). I once created a templating system which I called Kanarie (or KTS: Kanarie Template System), which is Dutch for Canary. It did have a cool mascotte Smiley

    My browser was called Webkoekeloer. It was notable for completely ignoring the standards and giving its own interpretation of a webpage.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Bas said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

    My browser was called Webkoekeloer. It was notable for completely ignoring the standards and giving its own interpretation of a webpage.

    So it was South-African, and it also used the (IE-based) .NET WebBrowser control?

  • User profile image
    Bas

    TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    So it was South-African, and it also used the (IE-based) .NET WebBrowser control?
    Actually, it was in VB6. It did use an IE webbrowser control, but only for grabbing the page and parsing the html. The actual presentation was all custom, completely unpredictable, and rarely resembled what a page's author intended.
     
    I should make a .NET version some time, it was pretty fun.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    So it was South-African, and it also used the (IE-based) .NET WebBrowser control?

    Now with 'active desktop'.. set to google.com by default.. simply amazing!

  • User profile image
    CKurt

    TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    So it was South-African, and it also used the (IE-based) .NET WebBrowser control?
    LOLZ !

    This is a very funny conversation for a dutch person. Don't know if anybody with other background gets it though. Anybody ?

  • User profile image
    matthews

    They need to scrap the whole releasing every 6 months thing. The quality on their distro just seems to be getting worse and worse.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    matthews said:
    They need to scrap the whole releasing every 6 months thing. The quality on their distro just seems to be getting worse and worse.
    I agree, a lot of people are leaving Ubuntu because 6 months releases are just way too long between new versions of an OS. Distros like Arch Linux and Gentoo are on rolling releases (means they "release" several times per day), and they are growing in popularity fast.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Bass said:
    matthews said:
    *snip*
    I agree, a lot of people are leaving Ubuntu because 6 months releases are just way too long between new versions of an OS. Distros like Arch Linux and Gentoo are on rolling releases (means they "release" several times per day), and they are growing in popularity fast.
    The last thing I want to do is upgrade/update my os every day. Installing a bunch of patches every month is fine but upgrading every 6 months is overkill.

    Keep the platform stable and only introduce new things every year. But keep applications up-to-date. I don't want to wait for an upgrade of my os just to run Firefox 3.1.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.