Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Wow, Live Mesh is big.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Anyone else knows that Live Mesh is not an application? It is actually a platform. A first glimps to cloud computing. I am truely amazed. But I am sure this is only a begining because the current Live Mesh platform is limited by web browser, which each browser has different implementation to the same standard.

Here are links
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1574
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/20080908/applications-coming-soon-to-a-mesh-near-you/

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    kettch

Where does it say it's limited by a browser? The Windows version uses "chromeless" IE (probably just a wrapper around the standard web browser control), I'm sure that the Mac version will use an embedded version of WebKit. However, it looks like that is just for the "run anywhere" applications. Mesh isn't just about applications, or syncing. You are right, though. It's big.

• User profile image
    CKurt

kettch said:

Where does it say it's limited by a browser? The Windows version uses "chromeless" IE (probably just a wrapper around the standard web browser control), I'm sure that the Mac version will use an embedded version of WebKit. However, it looks like that is just for the "run anywhere" applications. Mesh isn't just about applications, or syncing. You are right, though. It's big.

I knew it was a platform, and yess it's bigg !

You don't need to use the browser. You can directly from C# or any other desktop app read from and write TO the local copy of the mesh database.
    Mesh automatic picks up the change and syncs it to all needed devices. The Run anywhere examples are website app's who use the browser to make it visible to you. Not really a desktop app.

But yeah, it's big !!! (no only if the User Experience with P2P was as great as with FolderShare)

• User profile image
    Pace

CKurt said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    I knew it was a platform, and yess it's bigg !

You don't need to use the browser. You can directly from C# or any other desktop app read from and write TO the local copy of the mesh database.
    Mesh automatic picks up the change and syncs it to all needed devices. The Run anywhere examples are website app's who use the browser to make it visible to you. Not really a desktop app.

But yeah, it's big !!! (no only if the User Experience with P2P was as great as with FolderShare)
    wouldnt know, dont get to play with it being in the UK. I guess you all do need a headstart Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

kettch said:

isn't that what sync does? now I'm confused...

• User profile image
    kettch

Ion Todirel said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    isn't that what sync does? now I'm confused...
    Well, the idea of Mesh is that anything can be synced. All kinds of data including pictures, documents, favorites, and feeds. Here are some basic scenarios that are possible right now: http://www.redmondpie.com/about/meshdirectory/

So, the potential lies in figuring out what kind of applications are going to benefit from having everything always everywhere.

At this point, I'm addicted. The remote desktop feature works very well, and will even show me my entire desktop, not just the primary monitor. I've used it a bunch. I didn't even know I needed it so bad.

Next step: Mobile

• User profile image
    CKurt

Pace said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*
    wouldnt know, dont get to play with it being in the UK. I guess you all do need a headstart Tongue Out
    I'm from belgium, and I'm playing with it ! Wanna try ?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

With apologies to Douglas Adams: 
    "Mesh is huge. Really huge. You just wouldn't believe how amazingly, mind-bogglingly huge it is."

That's what popped into my head reading the title for this thread

Herbie

• User profile image
    kettch

Dr Herbie said:
    "Mesh is huge. Really huge. You just wouldn't believe how amazingly, mind-bogglingly huge it is."

Herbie

"We've got a really big Mesh tonight ladies and gentlemen. A really big Mesh"

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

kettch said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

"We've got a really big Mesh tonight ladies and gentlemen. A really big Mesh"

Oops.
    I seem to have made a mesh on the carpet.
    Sorry about that.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Pace said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*
    I'm in the UK and i've been playing with it since the start.

• User profile image
    turrican

"...Having heard some people talk about just how difficult it is to move a music library from one computer to another, imagine storing your entire music collection on Mesh..."

Thanks, but no thanks!

I shiver by the thought of putting my entire lossless music collection which I paid dearly for "online" on some "cloud" and allow a big corp (whichever) to have full control of it.

Smiley

Never... not in this life.

• User profile image
    Bas

turrican said:

"...Having heard some people talk about just how difficult it is to move a music library from one computer to another, imagine storing your entire music collection on Mesh..."

Thanks, but no thanks!

I shiver by the thought of putting my entire lossless music collection which I paid dearly for "online" on some "cloud" and allow a big corp (whichever) to have full control of it.

Smiley

Never... not in this life.

Why would a big corp have full control over it if you're storing a copy of your stuff on their servers?

• User profile image
    turrican

Dr Herbie said:

Herbie

http://www.rense.com/general72/size.htm

Imagine how big creatures are who live around those huge suns... each one of them could eat entire earth and don't notice it. Creepy thought.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.