Coffeehouse Thread

71 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cern: Big Bang – start of the world’s biggest science experiment!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

UK engineers and scientists, with their colleagues from around the globe, are eagerly awaiting the 10th September 2008, when the world’s biggest scientific experiment, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will be switched on. The LHC, 100m below ground, is the most powerful particle accelerator ever built by man and will seek answers to some of the most fundamental mysteries of our Universe, from anti-matter to dark matter and the existence of extra dimensions. Whether the LHC confirms or denies leading theories, its results will start a new age in our understanding of physics and the entire Universe.

Continue here

we can stay quiet?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Zapp: "I hate these filthy neutrals Kif! With enemies you know where they stand but with neutrals? Who knows! It sickens me."

----

At least when a black hole opens up it's those bloody Swiss that get sucked in first =P

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

It has in fact been turned on since January, slowly cooling the LHC ring to 1.9degK, and intial test beams have already been injected, tomorrow is the first attempt to circulate a low energy beam.  So we're not going to colapse into a black hole until at least the first high energy collisions on the 21st October Smiley

Whatever the results of the LHC we're in a new age of particle physics, Higgs or no Higgs it's going to be intreasting!

• User profile image
    Ray7

Gentlemen ... it's been an honour.

• User profile image
    Bas

Has anyone seen any dolphins lately?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Bas said:

Has anyone seen any dolphins lately?

No, but I got this fishbowl in the mail yesterday that said "So long and thanks for all the fish"...  pretty strange.

• User profile image
    stevo_

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    No, but I got this fishbowl in the mail yesterday that said "So long and thanks for all the fish"...  pretty strange.
    This is why usually the world doesn't get told about these things, people fighting for rocks to hide under now etc..

• User profile image
    Bas

stevo_ said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    This is why usually the world doesn't get told about these things, people fighting for rocks to hide under now etc..
    people fighting for rocks to hide under

Yeah, it's like pandemonium out there...

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

When its turned on, the Earth will be invaded by interdimensional beings who use the mini-black holes as gateways to travel between worlds. 

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

brian.shapiro said:
    When its turned on, the Earth will be invaded by interdimensional beings who use the mini-black holes as gateways to travel between worlds. 

*looks into crystal ball*
    I see an army of C9 guys pouring out of the trans-dimensional gateway ... or is that just the reflection of the one on my shelf?

Herbie

• User profile image
    Harlequin

brian.shapiro said:
    Sweet. That sounds like Buckaroo Banzai!!! =)

Another DVD I don't own and should...hehe

• User profile image
    Sampy

Remember everyone: a footprint doesn't look like a boot.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Sampy said:
    Remember everyone: a footprint doesn't look like a boot.
    I believe it will be one of the most anticlimactic events in scientific history or just a tiny rip in the space time continuim.

• User profile image
    Ray7

harumscarum said:
    Sampy said:
    *snip*
    I believe it will be one of the most anticlimactic events in scientific history or just a tiny rip in the space time continuim.

Once this sucker has ripped a hole between alternate universes, it'll be both.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Ray7 said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*

Once this sucker has ripped a hole between alternate universes, it'll be both.

Oh knows! Where is Gordon Freeman when you need him?!

• User profile image
    Bass

I heard tinfoil hats can protect against headcrab attacks!

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Bass said:
    I heard tinfoil hats can protect against headcrab attacks!
    I must've had to explain that this wont kill us all about 200 times today Sad Nobody seems to get the idea that this isn't "proper" just the low energy stuff, and that the real end of the world is October 21...

Wink

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

Lloyd_Humph said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    I must've had to explain that this wont kill us all about 200 times today Sad Nobody seems to get the idea that this isn't "proper" just the low energy stuff, and that the real end of the world is October 21...

Wink
    Wait, LHC will kill us 200 times, or you killed 200 people today? I am not sure what you are trying to say! If you did kill 200 people, can I have their wallets?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.