Coffeehouse Thread

71 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cern: Big Bang – start of the world’s biggest science experiment!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wisemx

If they kill all of us with this I'm not going to buy anymore Swiss Cheese. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Bass said:
    Lloyd_Humph said:
    *snip*
    Wait, LHC will kill us 200 times, or you killed 200 people today? I am not sure what you are trying to say! If you did kill 200 people, can I have their wallets?
    No, I explained 200 times that the LHC wont kill us.

Not literally 200 times, it felt like it though...

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    kettch

Lloyd_Humph said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Depending how what kind of hole it rips in the fabric of reality, we could get stuck in some sort temporal loop and be doomed to spend eternity repeating the same chunk of time before "the event" over and over. So yeah, we could get killed a lot more than 200 times.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Lloyd_Humph said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

It's obvious the world isn't going to end tomorrow; as Andy Murray lost the final. If he'd have won ... well that would be the final sign we were doomed

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

kettch said:
    Lloyd_Humph said:
    *snip*

Depending how what kind of hole it rips in the fabric of reality, we could get stuck in some sort temporal loop and be doomed to spend eternity repeating the same chunk of time before "the event" over and over. So yeah, we could get killed a lot more than 200 times.

Try explaining to a 14 year old that you "might" die a lot more than 200 times. This prolly makes me sound really big headed, but seriously, they wouldn't get it.

You'd end up repeating that over and over, because the majority don't understand. My talks to people went from 5 minutes repeated 3/4 times, to about 2 minutes repeated once Tongue Out Score.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    stevo_

kettch said:
    Lloyd_Humph said:
    *snip*

This is why usually the world doesn't get told about these things, people fighting for rocks to hide under now etc..

(hurr)

• User profile image
    wisemx
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

kettch said:
    Lloyd_Humph said:
    *snip*

Been watching too much Star Trek?

• User profile image
    kettch

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    Been watching too much Star Trek?

While that episode did come to mind, I was actually thinking of an episode of Outer Limits.

At the end the antagonist gets caught in a loop where he has just enough time to see the temporal explosion coming towards him. He screams and hides his face. That's when the explosion hits him, and he resets.

• User profile image
    Dovella

kettch said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*

While that episode did come to mind, I was actually thinking of an episode of Outer Limits.

At the end the antagonist gets caught in a loop where he has just enough time to see the temporal explosion coming towards him. He screams and hides his face. That's when the explosion hits him, and he resets.

Experiment is Start

• User profile image
    La Bomba

Dovella said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*
    Experiment is Start
    See you guys on the other side, I'm looking forward to seeing that lady from Total Recall...the one with three...

nevermind. Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

La Bomba said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    See you guys on the other side, I'm looking forward to seeing that lady from Total Recall...the one with three...

nevermind. Smiley
    Just so we're clear. Everybody knows that they are just running a beam through the thing, and aren't actually doing a collision today?

That gives everybody another two months to get worked up. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

La Bomba said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

nevermind. Smiley
    Oh thank God. I thought you were talking about the "Get ready for a surprise" woman.

Although technically I suppose she's more a suit than a woman.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Harlequin said:

Zapp: "I hate these filthy neutrals Kif! With enemies you know where they stand but with neutrals? Who knows! It sickens me."

----

At least when a black hole opens up it's those bloody Swiss that get sucked in first =P

A couple of nanoseconds before it kills the rest of us, you mean...

Anyway, I'm not sure what all of this "Nothing to worry about until Oct 21st" is about - the LHC has been online for cooling and tests since Jan and today at 8:30 UTC they started testing the high energy proton beams, first one way then the other.

If all goes according to plan (and as I write it's going ahead of schedule) they'll be colliding the two proton beams either today or within the week, and it's that collission which is projected to give us black holes.

And as to killing us, well it's just lucky for us that black holes evaporate. (Yeah, explaining that one is hard, but if a black hole can't suck in enough matter it stops being heavy enough to be a black hole because matter escapes from black holes as radiation).

So not only are we not going to die, we're also not going to not not die on October the 21st, and we're not going to not not not not die today.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

evildictaitor said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*

Anyway, I'm not sure what all of this "Nothing to worry about until Oct 21st" is about - the LHC has been online for cooling and tests since Jan and today at 8:30 UTC they started testing the high energy proton beams, first one way then the other.

If all goes according to plan (and as I write it's going ahead of schedule) they'll be colliding the two proton beams either today or within the week, and it's that collission which is projected to give us black holes.

And as to killing us, well it's just lucky for us that black holes evaporate. (Yeah, explaining that one is hard, but if a black hole can't suck in enough matter it stops being heavy enough to be a black hole because matter escapes from black holes as radiation).

So not only are we not going to die, we're also not going to not not die on October the 21st, and we're not going to not not not not die today.
    Actually, I'm pretty convinced that it already opened up a black hole and we've all passed into an alternate universe: one minute my mug was full of tea, the next it was empty and I don't remember drinkng it!
    Must be quantum physics.

Herbie

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Dr Herbie said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    Actually, I'm pretty convinced that it already opened up a black hole and we've all passed into an alternate universe: one minute my mug was full of tea, the next it was empty and I don't remember drinkng it!
    Must be quantum physics.

Herbie
    Whoa!! I'm observing my frikken head off here.. the tea-function isn't collapsing. Goddamnit, I can't drink possible tea! I need actual tea! CURSE YOU QUANTUM PHYSICS!

• User profile image
    tfraser

The part that I am most looking forward to is setting my physics books alight in the middle of the school yard once CERN single-handedly rewrites four hundred years of scientific history.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

evildictaitor said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*

The initial collisions are only going to be un-squeezed at 450GeV and that's way below what other acclerators like the Tevertron can do.  The first 7TeV collisions are not planned until stage A10 which is a good 25 days away, and even then that's not at full beam intensity and luminosity. 

http://lhc-commissioning.web.cern.ch/lhc-commissioning/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.