Coffeehouse Thread

71 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cern: Big Bang – start of the world’s biggest science experiment!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

    PerfectPhase said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    The initial collisions are only going to be un-squeezed at 450GeV and that's way below what other acclerators like the Tevertron can do.  The first 7TeV collisions are not planned until stage A10 which is a good 25 days away, and even then that's not at full beam intensity and luminosity. 

    http://lhc-commissioning.web.cern.ch/lhc-commissioning/
    See here



    Link

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    Where am I? Can anyone hear me? HELLLO!!!!

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    harumscarum said:
    Where am I? Can anyone hear me? HELLLO!!!!
    for now we are all alive Big Smile

  • User profile image
    kettch

    Dovella said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*
    for now we are all alive Big Smile

    I wonder if we are suffering any temporal effects? Quick, somebody in the US call somebody in Europe, and see if that person is taaaalllkkkkingggg rrrreeeeeaaallllll ssssslllllloooooowwww

  • User profile image
    Bas

    kettch said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

    I wonder if we are suffering any temporal effects? Quick, somebody in the US call somebody in Europe, and see if that person is taaaalllkkkkingggg rrrreeeeeaaallllll ssssslllllloooooowwww

    I just saw all my MSN contacts go offline, one by one. It was kinda spooky in this context.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Did anyone else feel that?

    Swear I felt a stray photon go past my cheek.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Harlequin said:
    Did anyone else feel that?

    Swear I felt a stray photon go past my cheek.
    ˙ǝɹǝɥ ǝuıɟ ʇsnɾ sɯǝǝs ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

  • User profile image
    cheong

    evildictaitor said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    A couple of nanoseconds before it kills the rest of us, you mean...

    Anyway, I'm not sure what all of this "Nothing to worry about until Oct 21st" is about - the LHC has been online for cooling and tests since Jan and today at 8:30 UTC they started testing the high energy proton beams, first one way then the other.

    If all goes according to plan (and as I write it's going ahead of schedule) they'll be colliding the two proton beams either today or within the week, and it's that collission which is projected to give us black holes.

    And as to killing us, well it's just lucky for us that black holes evaporate. (Yeah, explaining that one is hard, but if a black hole can't suck in enough matter it stops being heavy enough to be a black hole because matter escapes from black holes as radiation).

    So not only are we not going to die, we're also not going to not not die on October the 21st, and we're not going to not not not not die today.
    Yes. If blackhole cannot acquire the mass of something roughly like the mass of Jupiter, it won't last very long.

    The question is, how to determine how long will it last given we know how much mass it has absorbed? I haven't heard anyone find out that equation yet.

    Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    elmer

    What if this thing sucks us all into another dimension... where this thing then sucks us all into another dimension... where this thing then sucks us all into another dimension... where... basically killing us for ever... I think this is a MAJOR threat to my sanity... or... is... it...  ??

  • User profile image
    Dodo

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    ˙ǝɹǝɥ ǝuıɟ ʇsnɾ sɯǝǝs ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

    same here :)

    ǝɹns os ʇou ɯ,I ǝqʎɐɯ ɹo

  • User profile image
    cheong

    Dodo said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*

    same here :)

    ǝɹns os ʇou ɯ,I ǝqʎɐɯ ɹo

    Life suddenly seems so normal when you realise that you can just hit "Ctrl-Alt-DownArrow". Smiley

    Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

    Personal prediction: Nothing will work. Absolutely nothing. And it will not destroy the world too, which is good.

    If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    BlackTiger said:
    Personal prediction: Nothing will work. Absolutely nothing. And it will not destroy the world too, which is good.
    Oh, you're such a pessimist!  Of course they'll manage to destroy the world. Big Smile

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Dr Herbie said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    Oh, you're such a pessimist!  Of course they'll manage to destroy the world. Big Smile

    Herbie
    My prediction: they won't destroy the world, they won't discover the Higgs Boson, but they will discover a very neat (although slightly expensive) new way of cooking sausages.

  • User profile image
    vesuvius

    Sven Groot said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    My prediction: they won't destroy the world, they won't discover the Higgs Boson, but they will discover a very neat (although slightly expensive) new way of cooking sausages.
    I certainly hope they do find something. I always thought the world running out of oil, food and energy shortages were something my children's children would have to worry about.

    As it is, in Britain (as elsewhere) prices are and have been escalating for some time now, and I don't see a stop to it. Imagine what it must be like in some slum in a less privileged country. Tempestuous weather - Gustav one day, Katrina the next - rising sea levels when does it end?

    Never mind CERN destroying anything, were doing quite well ourselves!

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    vesuvius said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    I certainly hope they do find something. I always thought the world running out of oil, food and energy shortages were something my children's children would have to worry about.

    As it is, in Britain (as elsewhere) prices are and have been escalating for some time now, and I don't see a stop to it. Imagine what it must be like in some slum in a less privileged country. Tempestuous weather - Gustav one day, Katrina the next - rising sea levels when does it end?

    Never mind CERN destroying anything, were doing quite well ourselves!
    So how would finding the Higgs particle help with the state of the world?

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    vesuvius

    Dr Herbie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    So how would finding the Higgs particle help with the state of the world?

    Herbie
    I'm hoping that by colliding these sub-atomic particles, behaviour supportive of nuclear fusion may be witnessed. This is one of the hardest problems to solve, hitherto scientists have been unable to see how sub-atomic particles behave at such extremes.

    Fusion would solve the energy crisis for sure, and negate carbon emissions exponentially. That would go some way to resolving the state of the World.

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    vesuvius said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    I'm hoping that by colliding these sub-atomic particles, behaviour supportive of nuclear fusion may be witnessed. This is one of the hardest problems to solve, hitherto scientists have been unable to see how sub-atomic particles behave at such extremes.

    Fusion would solve the energy crisis for sure, and negate carbon emissions exponentially. That would go some way to resolving the state of the World.

    I don't think any advances in the area of nuclear fusion are intended to come from the LHC experiment. It uses a proton beam whereas nuclear fusion involves the collisions of entire nuclei. Besides, nuclear fusion has already been achieved with the main focus now on identifying a containment solution that allows it to be conducted in a controlled manner.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.