• User profile image
    Bas

Can't beat a good Mark Twain quote. Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

That's it?

• User profile image
    pathfinder

I think the whole thing was a publicity stunt.  It was published on purpose.  Mistakes like that aren't made on accident.

Origin

Mark Twain quotation after hearing that his obituary had been published in the New York Journal.

• User profile image
    kettch

pathfinder said:

I think the whole thing was a publicity stunt.  It was published on purpose.  Mistakes like that aren't made on accident.

Origin

Mark Twain quotation after hearing that his obituary had been published in the New York Journal.

Reports of his death are greatly anticipated.

• User profile image
    littleguru

He looks thin...

• User profile image
    ManipUni

pathfinder said:

Origin

Uhh yes they are... All the time...

Here is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_obituaries

• User profile image
    La Bomba

ManipUni said:
    pathfinder said:
    *snip*
    Uhh yes they are... All the time...

Here is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_obituaries
    Yeah, it's not like Apple needs any more publicity...all people do is look at them to see what they're going to do next.

• User profile image
    Ray7

La Bomba said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, it's not like Apple needs any more publicity...all people do is look at them to see what they're going to do next.
    It's odd that Zune was a much meatier update and got absolutely zero press.

Still, I guess Apple has worked hard to make the iPod the most wanted bit of bling on the 'net.

MS has done nothing.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ray7 said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*

Still, I guess Apple has worked hard to make the iPod the most wanted bit of bling on the 'net.

MS has done nothing.
    Isn't it always the same thing... Sad It's really sad. People work hard here and nobody seems to communicate it to the outside world, other than C9.

• User profile image
    giovanni

littleguru said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Isn't it always the same thing... Sad It's really sad. People work hard here and nobody seems to communicate it to the outside world, other than C9.
    That is actually why I like Microsoft.

The Microsoft brand is synonym of passionate engineers and technology, Apple of fancy brand and design.

On one hand I hope Microsoft gets its acts together in the comm department, on the other I hope it keeps investing in research and technology and not in creating an empty brand name.

BTW, I am glad to read that Jobs is alive and well (as he says), but it is pretty strange that the main argument of the day was that his health and not the products.

• User profile image
    littleguru

giovanni said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    That is actually why I like Microsoft.

The Microsoft brand is synonym of passionate engineers and technology, Apple of fancy brand and design.

On one hand I hope Microsoft gets its acts together in the comm department, on the other I hope it keeps investing in research and technology and not in creating an empty brand name.

BTW, I am glad to read that Jobs is alive and well (as he says), but it is pretty strange that the main argument of the day was that his health and not the products.
    Research is really big at Microsoft. Microsoft builds a lot of new buildings dedicated to research. But still I would love to have Microsoft do more in consumer marketing. We have the features, we have the products, we just don't tell people.

• User profile image
    jjesse

littleguru said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*
    Research is really big at Microsoft. Microsoft builds a lot of new buildings dedicated to research. But still I would love to have Microsoft do more in consumer marketing. We have the features, we have the products, we just don't tell people.

RE: Consumer Level Marketing:  My wife saw the Seinfield ad last night and laughed both times it was on TV.  Told me they were great ads, especially the little butt wiggle that Gates does in regards to eating the PCs.  Maybe the ads are hitting on the consumer level and not on the tech level?    

• User profile image
    Lizard​Rumsfeld

Ray7 said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*

MS has done nothing.
    Was the Zune update really that much bigger?  Yes, the software update is nice, but really no new UI for the players, no new hardware design - the new iTouch is amazing and already has hundreds of games for it for example.  The Nano has the accelerometer now and a better screen with coverflow.  They're still the devices to beat overall in terms of software/store ecosystem and hardware design.

The Zune softawre is looking decent, but the players are definitely looking big and bulky these days in comparison to the iPod - have you actually seen the Nano/new Touch? Sexy hardware is very important in this space, and for Zune to get attention it has to stop being "close enough" in certain cateorgies and blow away the iPod in all or some capacity.  It doesn't, and the incredibly lethargic pace at which it's updated (compareed to Apple) doesn't help when you're trying to catch the market dominator.

If you guys really believe the software update for the existing Zunes put them on par with the new iPod's, then I'm afraid to say you're delusional.  Apple will clean up again this Christmas unless MS releases new designs - I really wish they would make a touch screen model but add some more buttons, perhaps a thumbdisk like the PSP to make it an amazing open gaming platform.  Apple's adherence to minimalism could hurt them if they really want to take on the DS/PSP for the portable gaming space, MS has a real opportunity here me things. 

• User profile image
    Chad Moran

Hah, that's awesome.  I'm assuming Jobs did his famous "one more thing," speech about thew new nano.

• User profile image
    foreachdev

NitzWalsh said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Was the Zune update really that much bigger?  Yes, the software update is nice, but really no new UI for the players, no new hardware design - the new iTouch is amazing and already has hundreds of games for it for example.  The Nano has the accelerometer now and a better screen with coverflow.  They're still the devices to beat overall in terms of software/store ecosystem and hardware design.

The Zune softawre is looking decent, but the players are definitely looking big and bulky these days in comparison to the iPod - have you actually seen the Nano/new Touch? Sexy hardware is very important in this space, and for Zune to get attention it has to stop being "close enough" in certain cateorgies and blow away the iPod in all or some capacity.  It doesn't, and the incredibly lethargic pace at which it's updated (compareed to Apple) doesn't help when you're trying to catch the market dominator.

If you guys really believe the software update for the existing Zunes put them on par with the new iPod's, then I'm afraid to say you're delusional.  Apple will clean up again this Christmas unless MS releases new designs - I really wish they would make a touch screen model but add some more buttons, perhaps a thumbdisk like the PSP to make it an amazing open gaming platform.  Apple's adherence to minimalism could hurt them if they really want to take on the DS/PSP for the portable gaming space, MS has a real opportunity here me things. 
    Your comparision is rediculious. Heres why:
    32 GB IPOD touch 399 US Dollars
    Zune 30 GB $200

100% markup hmm better make my coffee too. They are apple and oranges it really comes down to your 'BUDGET'

Though Apple caters to the crowd that really doesn't care about the price tag and more about hype and the lastest in gadget geekery. Please be honest with yourself:)

My Steve Jobs impression: (que the hypnotists) "You will not care about the price you will listen to the hype."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?cid=OAS%2DUS%2DKWG%2DiPodBrandTerms%2DUS
    http://www.buy.com/prod/zune-30gb-mp3-video-player-black-microsoft-zune-30gb-digital/q/loc/111/203171422.html

• User profile image
    NitzW

foreachdev said:
    NitzWalsh said:
    *snip*
    Your comparision is rediculious. Heres why:
    32 GB IPOD touch 399 US Dollars
    Zune 30 GB $200

100% markup hmm better make my coffee too. They are apple and oranges it really comes down to your 'BUDGET'

Though Apple caters to the crowd that really doesn't care about the price tag and more about hype and the lastest in gadget geekery. Please be honest with yourself:)

My Steve Jobs impression: (que the hypnotists) "You will not care about the price you will listen to the hype."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?cid=OAS%2DUS%2DKWG%2DiPodBrandTerms%2DUS
    http://www.buy.com/prod/zune-30gb-mp3-video-player-black-microsoft-zune-30gb-digital/q/loc/111/203171422.html
    No "comparison" was made directly between the 32gb touch and the 120gb zune, no matter how "rediculous" (sic - seriously, what is it with people on forums and that word?) you might think it is.  The point is MS doesn't have anything like the touch

I'm replying to the poster who wondered why Apple's getting all the attention and not Zune with its "big update" - the fact of the matter is it simply isn't that big without new hardware.  The touch is simply the most impressive right now, of course you pick the most expensive model- it's expensive because it has 32GB of flash memory, duh!  If you want it cheaper, then get the 8GB model for $229.  So what the heck is your complaint here?

So that leaves us with comparisons to Nano or Classic.  The Zune HD model has the larger screen (3" compared to 2.5" - same resolution though) with wireless - problem is it's also significantly thicker and heavier.  The Zune flash however doesn't look so hot anymore - the Nano is cheaper (OH NOES MS IS OVERCHARGING!!!), thinner,  with a slightly larger screen and a much more attractive UI now with coverlfow, not to mention the cool accelerometer built in, and 16 GB version for only $20 more than the 8GB Zune.

Speaking of being honest, you might want to actually look at the entire line and not just pick the most expensive model.  Apple compares very well in price/performance with their MP3 players compared to the Zune, and hardware-wise they're more impressive in many aspects.  The Zune still has wireless yes, but that's not enough to really garner attention IMO.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.