Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft and Hauppauge First to Bring Freeview-Certified PC Solution to U.K. Viewers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Windows Media Center meets requirements for Freeview certification to deliver enhanced TV content to the PC.

READING, U.K. — Sept. 10, 2008 — Microsoft Corp., working with tuner manufacturer Hauppauge Computer Works Inc., today announced the launch of the first Freeview-certified, PC-based TV solution. With Windows Media Center, found on all PCs running Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate, and Windows Media Center TV Pack, Microsoft will now be able to offer U.K. consumers best-in-class interactive and enhanced TV paired with some of the best personal video recorder (PVR) features available on the market today.

Freeview support is one of the major Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) enhancements of the Windows Media Center TV Pack, an update released to OEMs worldwide on July 16, 2008, with targeted optimizations for TV standards in Europe. Other enhancements of this update include support for Digital Video Broadcasting-Satellite (DVB-S), improved guide and playback experience, great PVR auto-extend support, and the flexibility of support for multiple TV standards.

“The launch of our Freeview-enabled solution is a great addition to Windows Media Center, allowing us to reach more users and add real value to TV consumers and broadcasters,” said John Curran, director, Windows Client Group, Microsoft UK. “We are dedicated to improving Windows Media Center for customers worldwide, and this addition of Freeview as a platform and brand will offer a real benefit to our partners and consumers. We see this as a critical step to building awareness and setting a standard for great TV experiences on the PC.”

Continue  Microsoft Presspass

• User profile image
    Pace

cool, no more tv license......

• User profile image
    blowdart

Pace said:
    Umm why? Freeview is over the air; it still requires a license.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

blowdart said:
    Pace said:
    *snip*
    Umm why? Freeview is over the air; it still requires a license.
    Slightly confused by this one -- I've had a Hauppage card in my box running Freeview services in Media Centre for the last 18 months ... why is this news? Is it just the certification, or do they mean it's FreeSat compatible?

Herbie

EDIT:  Looks like it's just the cerfitication -- they can now put a Freeview sticker on the box ... yay for stickers.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Pace said:

Go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

I believe the current thing with TV Licenses is "If it can pick up broadcast or prerecorded TV then you need the license." Plus they're working on making it a "broadband & TV license" in a few years (because now the BBC offers limited programming online they're entitled to money from companies too!).

PS - Haven't Freeview PCI/PIC-E cards been around well over a year? First one? Huh?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Pace said:
    The license is for receiving the broadcast, not for ownership of the equipment.

• User profile image
    jh71283

Ray7 said:
    Pace said:
    *snip*
    The license is for receiving the broadcast, not for ownership of the equipment.

I suffered Media center for over a year before giving up...

The Guide data was abysmal (I was using it to view Sky)... when a channel changed numbers, the guide was at least a few weeks behind with the change.

New channels were often never added to the guide

and dozens of channels were just listed as "No information Available"

I did submit my concerns to MS, as the guide data is from a third party, and it was completely ruining the media center experience.

In the end I gave up and got Sky plus instead, and have not looked back.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.