Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

"Exclusive Interview: Microsoft Admits What Went Wrong with Vista, and How They Fixed It"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/shattered_dreams_and_broken_promises_vistas_failure_launch

Interesting. That will not get me to switch to Vista, but it was interesting to read.

Two things in the article that stood out to me are:

"But at least Microsoft curbs piracy of Vista and other activated software by treating its customers like criminals, right? Well, not so much. Hacked versions of Vista that simply bypass activation are available on BitTorrent sites around the world."

"He admitted that spending the money to port DirectX 10 to Windows XP would have been worth the expense."

Microsoft has obviously been doing everything it can to try to repair its reputation with people, by spending enormous quantities of money:

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImyK29QLs_A

If Microsoft were to remove WGA from Windows and port DirectX 10 to Windows XP, I am sure that those two actions would do far more for their reputation than anything their marketing department could do and it would cost far less.

After all, if hacked versions of Vista are freely available, as that site reports, and it would be worth it to port DirectX 10 to Windows XP, as that manager says, I am not sure Microsoft has much to lose by doing these two things and given that Microsoft is competing with Google, which is known for generously giving stuff to people for free, these actions might help Microsoft break Google's image as being so generous.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Who is the person interviewed?

• User profile image
    stun

Dovella said:
    That was exactly my thought. That article was posted on SlashDot also.
    If they don't site their sources, their article has no merit.
    I am thinking this is some kind of trick to bring traffic to their website by MaximumPC's employees themselves.

Sure I agree that Vista has its share of problems at launch, but the article put it in a way that it is very bad.
    It is not THAT bad

I call it a lame attempt by a lame "writer/blogger" whatever to get some web traffic to the website.

• User profile image
    Bas

"He admitted that spending the money to port DirectX 10 to Windows XP would have been worth the expense."

Bullcrap alert. Anybody who knows even a bit about DirectX and Vista knows that the underlying driver model has changed so radically that it's damned near impossible to port DX10 to XP. Pretty much the only option is rewriting XP's kernel, which would prove disastrous for compatibility with existing drivers and applications. Surely the "Microsoft" interviewed in the article would know this?

• User profile image
    Dovella

stun said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    That was exactly my thought. That article was posted on SlashDot also.
    If they don't site their sources, their article has no merit.
    I am thinking this is some kind of trick to bring traffic to their website by MaximumPC's employees themselves.

Sure I agree that Vista has its share of problems at launch, but the article put it in a way that it is very bad.
    It is not THAT bad

I call it a lame attempt by a lame "writer/blogger" whatever to get some web traffic to the website.
    I believe that in any case, Microsoft would have released an interview with similar tones.
    Fud against itself?

I hope that someone here could clarify the event and perhaps denounce the Blog if applicable

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Bas said:
    *snip*

Bullcrap alert. Anybody who knows even a bit about DirectX and Vista knows that the underlying driver model has changed so radically that it's damned near impossible to port DX10 to XP. Pretty much the only option is rewriting XP's kernel, which would prove disastrous for compatibility with existing drivers and applications. Surely the "Microsoft" interviewed in the article would know this?
    I think that if you have a kernel and you have a logically designed API, you can implement that API in assembly or your choice of a high level programming language (e.g. C/C++). It is not impossible.

Now, if you want to get good performance out of the API, then you will probably need a kernel rewrite, but I thought Microsoft wanted people to switch to Vista. It would make things much easier for game developers if they only had to worry about DirectX 10 on both Vista and XP, and I am sure that if DirectX 10 was avaliable on Windows XP, people playing games on Windows XP would upgrade to Windows Vista to get the performance benefits that the correct DirectX 10 implementation on Vista brings.

Because Microsoft didn't make DirectX 10 available on Windows XP, the game developers' must support DirectX 9 and all of the gamers have no reason to upgrade. Before anyone cites the eye candy DirectX 10 brings, Nintendo has demonstrated that fun games don't need eye candy, so as long as games are fun, the lack of extra eye candy on Windows XP is a non-issue.

As for not having the guy's name, I think his employment would be at risk if he publically made his statements, so I can understand why he chose to remain anonymous.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Shining Arcanine said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    I think that if you have a kernel and you have a logically designed API, you can implement that API in assembly or your choice of a high level programming language (e.g. C/C++). It is not impossible.

Now, if you want to get good performance out of the API, then you will probably need a kernel rewrite, but I thought Microsoft wanted people to switch to Vista. It would make things much easier for game developers if they only had to worry about DirectX 10 on both Vista and XP, and I am sure that if DirectX 10 was avaliable on Windows XP, people playing games on Windows XP would upgrade to Windows Vista to get the performance benefits that the correct DirectX 10 implementation on Vista brings.

Because Microsoft didn't make DirectX 10 available on Windows XP, the game developers' must support DirectX 9 and all of the gamers have no reason to upgrade. Before anyone cites the eye candy DirectX 10 brings, Nintendo has demonstrated that fun games don't need eye candy, so as long as games are fun, the lack of extra eye candy on Windows XP is a non-issue.

As for not having the guy's name, I think his employment would be at risk if he publically made his statements, so I can understand why he chose to remain anonymous.
    the article it's a FAKE!!

• User profile image
    jamie

here's what worries me:  apart from UAC - NONE of the problems i have with vista were mentioned.

Ive not had problems with speed, or drivers (well multiple monitors - but thats another story) or app comp

i have problems with price, multiple versions, lack of home 5 licence cheap, and mostly - above all - the ludicrous UI - that is ugly, unfinished and unchangeable and un blue.

i have read many articles that mention these shortcomings - but 90% of them go on about things that ive never had problems with

i guess most people dont care that every apps window is different, that the replacement for file-edit-view - isnt consistant - forcing you to read ..adding text to UI everywhere.. the removal of common tasks, the clutter of text breadcrumb bar.. the over all BLACKness,

i am hoping win7 address THESE conserns

edit - in anutshell - simplify the windows themselves - remove TEXT and less Volvo - rectangle boxy bars everywhere

• User profile image
    Bas

Shining Arcanine said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I think that if you have a kernel and you have a logically designed API, you can implement that API in assembly or your choice of a high level programming language (e.g. C/C++).

Ah, and if someone thinks it's so, that makes it possible.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Bas said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

Ah, and if someone thinks it's so, that makes it possible.

It worked for John W. Backus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran

By the way, Microsoft just fired the whistle blower who discussed the XBox 360 issues publically without being anonymous:

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Fires+Xbox+360+Red+Ring+of+Death+Whistleblower/article12946.htm

Personally, I think he should have been anonymous like the guy Maximum PC interviewed. I am surprised that some people cannot fathom someone both coming forward on something a company did wrong and wishing to remain anonymous.

jamie, I had a copy of Windows Vista that I wasn't using and I tried installing it on a PC I was building for my cousin the other day to see how he liked it. I could not get annoying messages to stop. I disabled the Security Center and User Access Control, but it kept complaining that the Security Center was disabled. I tried installing SP1, but the installation on a fresh install of Vista rendered the system inoperable.

My cousin thought it was too alien to use. Neither of us liked the fact that it used something like 10 GB when installed, which is a huge amount of space (~17%) for a 64GB (59.7GB formatted) SSD. The inoperability of Windows Vista after installing SP1 wasn't Microsoft's fault because it turned out that the graphics card was bad, but the other complaints are inavoidable.

He is right now using Windows XP SP3 and he loves it. You could say that we didn't give it enough of a chance, but both of us love Windows the way Windows XP is and neither of us want to see it done differently. I hope that Microsoft decides to come out with a Windows XP Second Edition.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.