Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista, what is your boot time?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

Just wondering if there is something very wrong with my system or if this is the norm with vista now, so what are your boot times and specs?

It took 3 mins 15 seconds to get to a stage where I could load notepad
    It was 4 mins 53 seconds before I had things like the side bar and icons in the tray/taskbar.

I stopped timing at that point but it was another 30-60 seconds before I had a network connection and a minute or two before the disk stopped thrashing, although 5 mins later it is still very active.

I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (2.2ghz), 3gb ram, a 7200 rpm hdd.
    My windows scores are:
    CPU 5
    Ram 5.9
    Graphics 5.9
    Gaming Graphics 5.8
    HDD 5.7

SP1 and all updates are installed, stability is fine and once windows has finally loaded everything runs perfectly snappy, but boot time is taking the pish.

• User profile image
    Dovella

i every My PC

40 Sec  MAX for Boot
    18 sec.  Hybernate resume
    1-4 Sec. Sleep resume

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

For my laptop about 2 minutes 20 to get to a point to launch VS, closer to 3:30 fot the side bar to be loaded 

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

I run Windows XP on both my laptop and desktop. I have not taken timings, but I believe that my laptop takes less than 10 seconds to boot to the login screen.

I have a Samsung 64GB SLC SSD. It is nice. Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Shining Arcanine said:
    I run Windows XP on both my laptop and desktop. I have not taken timings, but I believe that my laptop takes less than 10 seconds to boot to the login screen.

I have a Samsung 64GB SLC SSD. It is nice. Smiley

10 seconds is very good!  I take 12 seconds to get through BIOS then about 25 to Ctrl-Alt-Del and then the rest to get to a point I can use it!

<5 seconds to get out of sleep and logged on though. 

• User profile image
    jamie

PerfectPhase said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

10 seconds is very good!  I take 12 seconds to get through BIOS then about 25 to Ctrl-Alt-Del and then the rest to get to a point I can use it!

<5 seconds to get out of sleep and logged on though. 
    30 seconds or so.  no biggie.

again - no prob with vistas booting time.  fix the UI!  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    intelman

1 minute 33 seconds for me.

5.9 ratings all throughout. Startup items include Windows Defender, Windows Sidebar and some creative control app that goes with the X-FI card.

• User profile image
    wisemx

Instantly: I power it up then go make some Espresso, when I come back it's loaded.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

intelman said:

5.9 ratings all throughout. Startup items include Windows Defender, Windows Sidebar and some creative control app that goes with the X-FI card.
    Well I recently reinstalled Vista (and got Vista installed in under 5 minutes!) and my boot time is under 30 seconds, with the 5 second OEM screen as well. So about 25-30 seconds.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dovella

intelman said:

you have a problem

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Perhaps you can use the Windows Performance Toolkit tools from the latest Windows SDK to trace what is happening on bootup.

Another link on xperf

• User profile image
    figuerres

what does your pc load on startup? 
    for example my system has:

Sql Server 2005
    IIS 7
    an automatic backup agent.
    anti-virus
    and some other stuff...

that slows down my boot time.
    if I nuked all the startup stuff I'd boot way faster.

• User profile image
    zian

figuerres said:
    what does your pc load on startup? 
    for example my system has:

Sql Server 2005
    IIS 7
    an automatic backup agent.
    anti-virus
    and some other stuff...

that slows down my boot time.
    if I nuked all the startup stuff I'd boot way faster.

Sun's Java Updater
    Something for the sound in my laptop "dock"
    Another bit of software for the built-in sound on the laptop
    Creative's registry-fiddling stuff
    Creative's volume control
    Dell's QuickSet
    Pidgin
    RSS Bandit
    Secunia PSI
    A pile of shell extensions (7-ZIP and TortoiseSVN)
    Bonjour Service from Apple
    2 Creative Labs services
    A service for the Cisco VPN
    A Sigmatel service
    Sidebar: Clock, CPU Meter

Edit: This is just stuff running under my user profile.

Now, for stuff running for everyone:
    Adobe Reader Speed Launcher

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I think for me, everything is under one minutes, from BIOS boot to load everything, like sidebar and mesh.

There is definitly something from. Are you buying Lenovel? I know all my co-works using Lenovel has snail boot time and shutdown time. Take about 30 minutes to restart. We have the same company software installed, but my dell boots up in 2 minuts.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

It takes about 4 minutes on my HP tablet, Core 2 Duo Processor and 1 GB of RAM.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

About 30 seconds if my external Western Digital MyBook hard drive is not connected. About 3 minutes if it is connected. This is a known problem with that drive in combination with Vista.

My laptop resumes from hibernate in about 15 seconds. Never shut it down except for updates. Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

I only reboot when updates got installed... and then I'm usually out to get someting to drink... don't know... it's weird.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

littleguru said:

I only reboot when updates got installed... and then I'm usually out to get someting to drink... don't know... it's weird.

To get from switch-on to 'Booting from Disk' message about 55 seconds (mainly raid array stuff, I think).
    To get from 'Booting from Disk' to Vista Login screen - about 35 seconds.
    From log-in screen to useable - about 30 seconds if I immediately login in, if I wait at login screen for a while, it only takes about 5 seconds to login.

The main delay in log-in seems to be USB devices (couple of thumb-drives, WiFi dongle, USB hard-drive for backups). If I leave the main login screen up for a whle, they all seem to load in the background so when I click my login icon it's only about 5 seconds.

I switch my PC off overnight (saves electricity), but like Littleguru I normally go get a drink while it's booting.

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.