Coffeehouse Thread

94 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSNFOUND is so sad...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Quick jump to MSNFOUND before it is lost forever!

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:

I can't believe this site is still up.  There is something seriously wrong with Microsoft Marketing at the moment.

• User profile image
    eagle

The people Microsoft hires to do “Marketing” haven’t a clue as to what Marketing is!

I think Heather should come here to C9 and explain why the people who created MSNFOUND were hired!

She doesn't alow discussion on her blog, it’s her “happy place”!

• User profile image
    rhm

eagle wrote:

What is it?

• User profile image
    eagle

It's a "happy place"!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

You didn't see my rant, did you?

http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/02/19.html#a9456

Sigh.

• User profile image
    eagle

We want to see the video!

Aaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

The "people" responsible FOR msnfound should be INSERTED here.

• User profile image
    Shaded

Holey canoles THAT was the cause of the rant?

Ok, I apologize for what I said about showing restraint. 

I would be screaming fired as well.  Read faced, tearing up and breaking blood vessels in my eyes type of screaming.

For some reason I don't consider MSN part of Microsoft.  They seems to belong in the AOL family more than Microsoft family.

They're more like Microsoft's ... mentally challenged offspring...

• User profile image
    manickernel

Scoble,

In following your links I hit this which is great, thanks.

• User profile image
    Cider

Its a fricking daft site, to be sure.  Utterly pointless.  I think its summed up by doing a google search on "msnfound" and the most common return is "Robert Scoble says to msnfound.com:  you're fired"!

I don't particularly agree with the statement that RSS feeds are everything.  I think they are an important interface but I think that there is a lot more to a site than just RSS feeds.  Take Channel 9, as a good example.  Would it have been any sort of success if it had just been the videos and nothing more?  A moderate one.  However, it is the community and "culture of feedback" that has led to Channel 9 being what it is.  I'd doubt RSS has little to do with C9 at all.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I think C9 had a confluence of things that made it good. But RSS is a major one. Certainly one of the top five. Channel 9 wouldn't be a "channel" without RSS.

Heck, I was just reading the local newspaper and it was talking about RSS on the front page of their lifestyle section.

A really cool example? Get http://www.dopplerradio.net and subscribe to the videos feed. That's so killer. Especially if you have a portable media center or a SmartPhone.

• User profile image
    lars

eagle wrote:

Holy cow! That's the most pathetic over the top marketing site I've seen in years. The lasting impression can be summed up in one word: "fake". Big Smile

• User profile image
    eagle

So does that mean you won't be subscribing to the RSS feed, whenever it's added?

• User profile image
    Manip

Scooble wrote:
    Sorry, if you do a marketing site and you don't have an RSS feed today you should be fired.

I can't say I like that very much... RSS is one technology and most people don't use them/it at all. In fact less than 5% of web-visitors actively use it or even know what it is. So to suggest that all Microsoft sites should have RSS is silly and that statement has very little to do with what's best for Microsoft Marketing and a lot more to do with your personal (might I say irrational?) feelings towards RSS.

Also, RSS is only for geeks or 'new net society' geeks (bloggers). I'm a geek and I can't figure out how it's useful... Also, in 1998 the web was just for geeks, things change, but you can't ignore the reality and I doubt RSS is going to survive very long anyhow.

PS - What is that site about, I can't figure it out ... I don't plan to re-visit any time soon I can tell you... :o

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I have to agree with Manip on this one.  RSS is fun and useful, but it doesn't pass the grandma test.

The only people I know who subscribe seriously to RSS feeds are:

1)   People who try it out for a few days and get bored with it
    2)   People who are so web savvy (re: addicted) that RSS gives them the ability to process much more information than they could by manually hitting each important website.

I fall in catagory 2, btw, so RSS appeals to me, but grandma doesn't get it and she sure as heck won't be setting up SharpReader any time soon.

And, lastly, let us not forget that while most of us geeks feel that the web is so far reaching and invasive that it must be Important (with a capital I), a giant majority of the world doesn't have working plumbing.

RSS is important to people who use RSS.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

You totally missed my point.

I totally agree that grandma isn't into RSS today.

But the connectors in society are.

And, RSS is on the front page of today's Seattle PI (living section) newspaper today, so your grandma will be getting into it soon.

Oh, and if you are reading blogs in a web browser you are wasting your time. Hours of your time.

But, maybe you have time to waste. I don't.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Oh, and by the end of next year I'd expect all browsers to have RSS built in.

So, grandma is coming soon!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Manip: you honestly can't figure out why RSS is useful?

OK, here's a challenge. I'll give you 100 sites to read. I'll read the same sites. You need to keep up.

You read in a browser. I read in, say, Onfolio 2.0. http://www.onfolio.com/beta/

Now, here's the thing. Every night we need to write a blog explaining what we find.

Here's where I kick your behind:

1) I only need to read the sites that have published something in the past 24 hours. You need to read every one. Hint: in my aggregator only about 35% of the bloggers post something in the past 24 hours.
    2) I only need to read the new content. It's bold. You, on the other hand, need to read every single page and figure out what's changed over the past 24 hours.
    3) I don't need to recalibrate my eyes to different fonts for each site like you do, or deal with color backgrounds or blinky color crap.
    4) I can read offline in a plane, or at the park where there's no wifi. You need to be online.

Get it yet? Try it out. Then you'll understand.

Oh, and there are some services, like http://www.pubsub.com that basically require you to get into RSS.

And we aren't even gonna get into podcasting or vcasting like what we do here on Channel 9.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.