Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Weekly Source Code 33 - Microsoft Open Source inside Google Chrome

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

By Scott H.

First, let me remind you that in my new ongoing quest to read source code to be a better developer, Dear Reader, I present to you thirty-third in a infinite number of posts of "The Weekly Source Code."

That said, what does Microsoft Code have to do with Google Chrome, the new browser from Google? Take a look at the Terms and Conditions for the "Chromium" project up on Google Code. There are 24 different bits of third party software involved in making Chrome work, and one of them is WTL, the Windows Template Library, which was released as Open Source in 2004.

Chrome's use of the Open Source Windows Template Library

Continue here

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I think Google did the right thing: instead of trying to develop everything themselves, they use existing (proven?) technologies. The only thing I find remarkable about this blog post is the fact that Microsoft has been releasing open source software since 2004. Take that, OSS nuts!

• User profile image
    tfraser

TommyCarlier said:
    I think Google did the right thing: instead of trying to develop everything themselves, they use existing (proven?) technologies. The only thing I find remarkable about this blog post is the fact that Microsoft has been releasing open source software since 2004. Take that, OSS nuts!

In addition to the WTL Microsoft has at least one other open source project in the form of the WiX toolset, which I believe was released even earlier than the WTL. I remember Channel 9 had an interview with the development team of WiX back in 2006.

Does Google's use of open source Microsoft software in Chrome entitle Microsoft to transfer the useful elements of Chrome into IE?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

tfraser said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

In addition to the WTL Microsoft has at least one other open source project in the form of the WiX toolset, which I believe was released even earlier than the WTL. I remember Channel 9 had an interview with the development team of WiX back in 2006.

Does Google's use of open source Microsoft software in Chrome entitle Microsoft to transfer the useful elements of Chrome into IE?

It does not. But Google allows EVERYONE to use their source code, including Microsoft. Google wants the other browsers to improve. By releasing Chrome, they're even forcing them to become better. Faster browsers == faster web applications == Google wins.

• User profile image
    Kolin1

TommyCarlier said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    It does not. But Google allows EVERYONE to use their source code, including Microsoft. Google wants the other browsers to improve. By releasing Chrome, they're even forcing them to become better. Faster browsers == faster web applications == Google wins.
    Yes google does encourage everyone to use their source code.
    Only if the finished product is released under whatever license that part of the browser was originally released under. Meaning IE would need to release the source for parts of IE.

According to http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html the WTL part is licensed under Microsoft Permissive License so microsoft could use any improvements google may have made to the code and port it back in to anything else they have released under Ms-Pl

• User profile image
    blowdart

Kolin1 said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Yes google does encourage everyone to use their source code.
    Only if the finished product is released under whatever license that part of the browser was originally released under. Meaning IE would need to release the source for parts of IE.

According to http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html the WTL part is licensed under Microsoft Permissive License so microsoft could use any improvements google may have made to the code and port it back in to anything else they have released under Ms-Pl
    Actually no. The Ms-PL allows you to use it anywhere; including closed source. Any improvements google makes to that component are still Ms-PL licensed, so Microsoft could take them back and not have to release them. In the same way google could not release improvements *if* they didn't redistribute source.

You should note that it is *not* the Microsoft Permissive License, but the Microsoft Public License, and it's Ms-PL, MPL is a Mozilla license.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

TommyCarlier said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    Actually, it does. The only caveat is that Microsoft would have to incorporate the licence of Chrome (I think it's the BSD licence) into the IE licence, which would require Microsoft to OSS IE, and it's that reason that Microsoft won't be using Chrome's source base (that and the insatiable desire for Microsoft to demonize Google and dismiss them as incompetent and vice-versa).

• User profile image
    matthews

evildictaitor said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Actually, it does. The only caveat is that Microsoft would have to incorporate the licence of Chrome (I think it's the BSD licence) into the IE licence, which would require Microsoft to OSS IE, and it's that reason that Microsoft won't be using Chrome's source base (that and the insatiable desire for Microsoft to demonize Google and dismiss them as incompetent and vice-versa).

BSD code can be relicensed and/or used in proprietary software. It's not a viral license like the GPL.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.