Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

strange interview question?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Coder #1

I came across this one the other day.

Is Microsoft a good thing?

How do you answer something like this?

edit: The job was for a C# dev.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yes.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I think "Yes" is a better answer than "No, they're EVIL!!! Evil I says ya!!!"

There might not be a right answer. Microsoft has certainly pushed the computer business forward, but I can't deny they have also done some bad things (business practices) in the past. So maybe the correct answer is "Yes and no" or "It depends".

• User profile image
    Coder #1

TommyCarlier said:

I think "Yes" is a better answer than "No, they're EVIL!!! Evil I says ya!!!"

There might not be a right answer. Microsoft has certainly pushed the computer business forward, but I can't deny they have also done some bad things (business practices) in the past. So maybe the correct answer is "Yes and no" or "It depends".

Yah, I guess without Microsoft i wouldnt be there for the interview!

.Net is a wonderfull world to code with, so thats a good thing.

I just dislike those open question where there is no definitive answer - but I guess thats the point!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Coder #1 said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Yah, I guess without Microsoft i wouldnt be there for the interview!

.Net is a wonderfull world to code with, so thats a good thing.

I just dislike those open question where there is no definitive answer - but I guess thats the point!
    I occasionally interview C# devs: open questions are there to start the interviewee talking about technical stuff so that the interviewer can see what 'type' of dev they are (a 9-5 dev who's not really interested in the industry as a whole, a 'l337' dev who thinks that only they can wrte good code and that the .NET BCL is rubbish, an MS devotee who wouldn't consider anything else, or a pragmatic dev who knows the pros and cons of MS).

I don't look for right and wrong answers, I just want the strike a technical conversation to get a 'feel' for the person I'm talking to,.

Herbie

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dr Herbie said:
    Coder #1 said:
    *snip*
    I occasionally interview C# devs: open questions are there to start the interviewee talking about technical stuff so that the interviewer can see what 'type' of dev they are (a 9-5 dev who's not really interested in the industry as a whole, a 'l337' dev who thinks that only they can wrte good code and that the .NET BCL is rubbish, an MS devotee who wouldn't consider anything else, or a pragmatic dev who knows the pros and cons of MS).

I don't look for right and wrong answers, I just want the strike a technical conversation to get a 'feel' for the person I'm talking to,.

Herbie

And who is who in this forums?

• User profile image
    tfraser

Dr Herbie said:
    Coder #1 said:
    *snip*

Herbie

You don't need to carry on with all that. Everyone knows the only question that ever needs to be asked of a developer during an interview is why they think manhole covers are round. It's quick, simple and covers all the bases.

Jokes aside, I had this question asked during a lateral thinking quiz in class and I immediately knew about five different responses due to its popularity among the Microsoft community.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

tfraser said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

You don't need to carry on with all that. Everyone knows the only question that ever needs to be asked of a developer during an interview is why they think manhole covers are round. It's quick, simple and covers all the bases.

Jokes aside, I had this question asked during a lateral thinking quiz in class and I immediately knew about five different responses due to its popularity among the Microsoft community.

Well, manhole covers are obviously round because that's the way God made them.
    Wink
    Herbie

• User profile image
    Minh

coder # 1 wrote:

Were you interviewing AT Microsoft? Smiley

Dr Herbie wrote:

Or be serious & tell them the truth. Manhole covers evolve over the years based on best selection against environment pressures. Did you know they started out squared? Wink

• User profile image
    Coder #1

Minh said:
    coder # 1 wrote:

Were you interviewing AT Microsoft? Smiley

Dr Herbie wrote:

Or be serious & tell them the truth. Manhole covers evolve over the years based on best selection against environment pressures. Did you know they started out squared? Wink

Minh, It wasnt microsoft but it was a mid to large size company.

I used to be pro microsoft in a sense of - its the best damn thing and everything else is rubbish. But older and wiser - i know it is all about the right tool for the right job.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.