Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dual-booting XP and Server 2008:  Caveats?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    I'm thinking about setting up a dual-boot configuration with XP and Server 2008 (for learning, experimentation, etc., not for real use as a server).  Is anyone aware of any problems or issues I might have with this configuration?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Shouldn't have any trouble as long as you install Win2k8 last (otherwise XP will overwrite the BCD bootloader with the old-style NTLDR; you can still restore the BCD loader afterwards but it's just easier if you do it the right way around to begin with).

    Why not just install Win2k8 in a VM though? Saves you having to reboot when you want to experiment with it.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Sven Groot said:
    Shouldn't have any trouble as long as you install Win2k8 last (otherwise XP will overwrite the BCD bootloader with the old-style NTLDR; you can still restore the BCD loader afterwards but it's just easier if you do it the right way around to begin with).

    Why not just install Win2k8 in a VM though? Saves you having to reboot when you want to experiment with it.
    Performance, primarily.  2k8 is slow as crap in a VM (since I can't allocate all my RAM to it, it has to swap constantly...  I've got 1 GiB, but I can only allocate 512 GiB to the VM).

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Performance, primarily.  2k8 is slow as crap in a VM (since I can't allocate all my RAM to it, it has to swap constantly...  I've got 1 GiB, but I can only allocate 512 GiB to the VM).
    Got it installed (after a messed up install where it couldn't find WinLoad.exe...  probably had something to do with my computer's 137GB BIOS limit, because doing the initial install to a partition wholly inside that limit worked fine, although curiously enough I was able to expand that partition and it still booted afterwards).

    Performance is much better than in a VM, and (to my surprise), Aero Glass works flawlessly (with Catalyst drivers modded to work with my Mobility Radeon X300).  This makes Vista much more tempting...  I had feared that performance was going to be horrible on my older laptop.



    Now to find some cool server-y things to do (and boot into XP to make sure it still works Wink ).

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Performance, primarily.  2k8 is slow as crap in a VM (since I can't allocate all my RAM to it, it has to swap constantly...  I've got 1 GiB, but I can only allocate 512 GiB to the VM).
    Fair enough, I've got 4GB, I allocate 1GB to my Win2k8 VM and it works fine. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.