Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Command prompts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Royal​Schrubber

So I've decided I should try to use unix/linux as day-to-day OS, not because I've got something against Windows (I love it..), just because I think I should get some experience in the other camp. Am sure it won't last long.

Anyway, I've read "Why's (poignant) Guide to Ruby" - didn't like it much because it doesn't go into any details, the text is something between tutorial and a real book.
    I think I like ruby, now I am thinking about learning ruby on rails (after one real ruby book). So I've installed netbeans 6.1 on opensuse. I know netbeans rocks for java, now in version 6 it even has support for few other languages, ruby among them.

Now netbeans detected it has to update rails (it's 1.2, newest rails is 2.1, and I don't see any button to update it in OS package manager - thank you novell), but it complained because root permission is needed for update.
    Fine let me just go to terminal, maybe netbeans has special binary like in windows, maybe simple 'netbeans' will work.. not. So I did 'ps aux' to get command that fired this process. No matter how much I resized terminal I couldn't get command. Ok, so 'ps aux > lol.txt'.

I got this:

/bin/bash /usr/local/netbeans-6.1/bin/../platform8/lib/nbexec --userdir /home/myself/.netbeans/6.1 --jdkhome /usr/lib/jvm/java --branding nb --clusters /usr/local/netbeans-6.1/nb6.1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ide9:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/java2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/xml2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/apisupport1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/enterprise5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/mobility8:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/profiler3:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/gsf1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ruby2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/visualweb2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/soa2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/identity2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/uml5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/harness:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/cnd2: -J-Dnetbeans.importclass=org.netbeans.upgrade.AutoUpgrade -J-Dnetbeans.accept_license_class=org.netbeans.license.AcceptLicense -J-Xmx339m -J-Dcom.sun.aas.installRoot=/usr/local/glassfish-v2ur2 -J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:PermSize=32m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=200m -J-Xverify:none -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true myself 8553 11.0 7.2 723436 140872 ? Sl 18:48 0:20 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.u7/bin/java -Djdk.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java -classpath /usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/boot.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/boot_ja.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/boot_pt_BR.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/boot_zh_CN.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ja.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_pt_BR.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ja.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-util_pt_BR.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java/lib/dt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java/lib/tools.jar -Dnetbeans.system_http_proxy=DIRECT -Dnetbeans.system_http_non_proxy_hosts= -Dnetbeans.dirs=/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/nb6.1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ide9:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/java2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/xml2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/apisupport1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/enterprise5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/mobility8:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/profiler3:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/gsf1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ruby2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/visualweb2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/soa2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/identity2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/uml5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/harness:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/cnd2: -Dnetbeans.home=/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8 -Dnetbeans.importclass=org.netbeans.upgrade.AutoUpgrade -Dnetbeans.accept_license_class=org.netbeans.license.AcceptLicense -Xmx339m -Dcom.sun.aas.installRoot=/usr/local/glassfish-v2ur2 -client -Xss2m -Xms32m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=200m -Xverify:none -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true org.netbeans.Main --userdir /home/myself/.netbeans/6.1 --branding nb

Got to say this is the biggest command I've ever seen. It's the king command. Ruler of command prompts. I'm amazed. Wow. Where is it even saved? :O

Now that this is out (and rails updated successfully), I'm asking - is it worth learning rails. It's a skill sure, but after reading this and this, I think rails is useless skill. As you've probably learned I'm trying to teach myself little about web developing (long ago I knew classic asp and sql and.. but time passed).

On the one hand I want something that will save me time, but on the other hand I'm afraid rails will go too much in my way with its forced ORM and MVC and whatnot and I won't be able to touch bare metal (html and sql in this case) as easily. And I don't want to spend dozens of hours tryng to "get it" and then figure framework plain sucks. So what do you think about Rails. Any good? Or should I first go with standard php and asp.net (and its shiny webforms)?

• matthews

If it was complaining about root permissions, use su to switch user to root in the shell, run netbeans, and attempt the update again.

I can't really tell you if RoR is worth learning, but all I ever hear about Ruby is "fad, fad, fad".

• JChung2006

The typical way to update Rails is with RubyGems.  `man gem` or `gem -h` for details.

Prefix your gem command with sudo to give it administrative privileges (think of sudo as command-line UAC).

If you're just interested in dabbling with Web development technologies, PHP is the way to go as it has the lowest learning curve of the three you mentioned (Rails, PHP, ASP.NET). The downside of that learning curve is that it also has the least to offer when it comes to learning about Web development and programming.

Ruby's worth learning even if only in the sense that learning a new programming language expands your horizons.

Why the lucky stiff has written a DSL for GUI development called Shoes which you might find interesting.  It's more interesting than Rails, in my opinion - Shoes

• XaeroVincent

The best way to make *nix successful as a day-to-day OS is to have a spare dust-gathering Windows box that you can connect remotely to via terminal services. Having the latest version of Wine and Mono installed is useful as well. VMs are nice but are a pain in the arse because you have to buy a separate Windows license for a guest install.

My terminal server configuration is very fancy and features application remoting but any set works IMHO. VNC is OK too but only with UltraVNC mirror driver.

This way you could work in Visual Studio 2008 and save your projects on the *nix box via the network folder share.

As for Ruby... I don't know anything about it--I'm a PureBasic guy myself.

• Royal​Schrubber

JChung2006 said:

The typical way to update Rails is with RubyGems.  `man gem` or `gem -h` for details.

Prefix your gem command with sudo to give it administrative privileges (think of sudo as command-line UAC).

If you're just interested in dabbling with Web development technologies, PHP is the way to go as it has the lowest learning curve of the three you mentioned (Rails, PHP, ASP.NET). The downside of that learning curve is that it also has the least to offer when it comes to learning about Web development and programming.

Ruby's worth learning even if only in the sense that learning a new programming language expands your horizons.

Why the lucky stiff has written a DSL for GUI development called Shoes which you might find interesting.  It's more interesting than Rails, in my opinion - Shoes

mhm, I figured  I can use gems directly as that's what netbeans said it's using to update when I ran it in root. (I was afraid that ruby packages would need some system libraries and that OS packager would be appropriate way as there were already separate packages for ruby and for rails. )

Shoooes. Wow. It's amazing. Not a full widget toolkit, but still usefull for little apps. It's like mini-wpf for ruby. Thanks for this man. Smiley

• Royal​Schrubber

XaeroVincent said:
    The best way to make *nix successful as a day-to-day OS is to have a spare dust-gathering Windows box that you can connect remotely to via terminal services. Having the latest version of Wine and Mono installed is useful as well. VMs are nice but are a pain in the arse because you have to buy a separate Windows license for a guest install.

My terminal server configuration is very fancy and features application remoting but any set works IMHO. VNC is OK too but only with UltraVNC mirror driver.

This way you could work in Visual Studio 2008 and save your projects on the *nix box via the network folder share.

As for Ruby... I don't know anything about it--I'm a PureBasic guy myself.
    I'll not do remoting to Windows box. It's like cheating, if I wanted Windows I would boot in Vista that sits on the first partition. Never understood guys that do that.
    Anyhow, I know I was preaching opensuse is better than ubuntu/other distros for desktop - well, I'm changing that - they all suck equally. But I won't go into details, don't wanna rant. Just don't understand why ppl use it.. Smiley

• XaeroVincent

I think you've mentioned that you dabbed with Linux before and you didn't like it then either. Not sure why you went back...

Linux on the desktop is more like a fun toy that tests your cleverness when an attempt to make it useful is made--see below.

I have Fedora 9 on my laptop and my father has it on his desktop. It works just fine for us but there would have been no way I would have remained a Linux user if Rdesktop with fancy seamless application remoting patches, Wine, Mono, and Samba did not exist. Windows applications are important to me because many FOSS apps are garbage.

BTW, seamless terminal services isn't cheating its just another way of accessing Windows apps without having Windows installed locally. Just need access to a Windows machine somewhere in a LAN or WAN (Interweb).

Of course it would be easier just to use Windows and download FOSS applications but thats boring.

• matthews

XaeroVincent said:
    I think you've mentioned that you dabbed with Linux before and you didn't like it then either. Not sure why you went back...

Linux on the desktop is more like a fun toy that tests your cleverness when an attempt to make it useful is made--see below.

I have Fedora 9 on my laptop and my father has it on his desktop. It works just fine for us but there would have been no way I would have remained a Linux user if Rdesktop with fancy seamless application remoting patches, Wine, Mono, and Samba did not exist. Windows applications are important to me because many FOSS apps are garbage.

BTW, seamless terminal services isn't cheating its just another way of accessing Windows apps without having Windows installed locally. Just need access to a Windows machine somewhere in a LAN or WAN (Interweb).

Of course it would be easier just to use Windows and download FOSS applications but thats boring.
    So what is it that Fedora offers you over Windows that makes it worth jumping through so many hoops to run Windows apps? I'd not found one thing in more than 3 years of using Linux that I just couldn't do just as well or far easier/better on Windows.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.