Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How NOT to use PowerPoint

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wisemx
  • User profile image
    giovanni

Great video and even better content!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

It's old though. I remember seeing it in 2005 and I'm sure it dates back to 1999.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

There are some good ideas that can in incorporated into the next version.  A complexity meter would be good.  If there is too much crap on the slide, the slide would get a green squiggly line underneath, like a grammar error.  I wonder if there is a Hot or Not site for PPTs, if not, Microsoft could host one and people could rip on other peoples lack of PowerPoint skill.

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo said:
    It's old though. I remember seeing it in 2005 and I'm sure it dates back to 1999.
    Yeah... it's kind of old. But still nice Big Smile

• User profile image
    matthews

I wish some of my profs would follow his first piece of advice. On average I take about 5 pages of notes for classes that don't make use of any presentaion slides at all, and in my two that do there's so much crap on the slides that I find my mind wandering so often I only end up with <1 page of notes.

• User profile image
    Bass

This video describes every PowerPoint I have ever watched. PowerPoint is evil.

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

Bass said:
    This video describes every PowerPoint I have ever watched. PowerPoint is evil.
    Powerpoint is evil?  WTF?  If a virus is written in C does than mean that C is evil?  Don't blame powerpoint.  Blame stupid people who don't know how to use it properly.  I've been using Powerpoint for a long time and I find it to be an incredibly powerful tool that can be used for much more than just lame presentations.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Heywood_J said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Powerpoint is evil?  WTF?  If a virus is written in C does than mean that C is evil?  Don't blame powerpoint.  Blame stupid people who don't know how to use it properly.  I've been using Powerpoint for a long time and I find it to be an incredibly powerful tool that can be used for much more than just lame presentations.
    C doesn't encourage any particular programming style or what your program does.

PowerPoint is set-up to encourage bullet point spam thanks to the default templates set to bullet points.

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo said:
    Heywood_J said:
    *snip*

PowerPoint is set-up to encourage bullet point spam thanks to the default templates set to bullet points.
    That's just not true... Powerpoint gives you the flexibility that you want. It's the people opting for the easiest way.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:
    Heywood_J said:
    *snip*

That's nonsense. Sure it encourages bullet points but it doesn't encourage people to make a bazillion bullet points nor does it encourage people to put every single word they're going to say on the slides.

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo said:
    Heywood_J said:
    *snip*

Word encourages poorly typed letters because of the default templates set to text.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Heywood_J said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    I take your point, but your example is flawed because C _is_ evil.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.