Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Lenevo halts online sales of Linux PCs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

As reported by ComputerWorld and sensationally headlined by the Inquirer

What really chilled me about this article, was the quote from the Leveno spokesman.

Computerworld said:

"Our commitment to Linux has not changed," said Gorman in an e-mail to Computerworld. "What's changed is that customers will no longer be able to order Lenovo ThinkPads and ThinkCentres with pre-installed Linux via the lenovo.com Web site."

Years ago, I read an article about IBM's PC division halting OS/2 preloads, and the same words were used;

'Our commitment to OS/2 hasn't changed.'

Well, obviously it has.

But here's the problem. Hardware manufacturers are used to having Microsoft do their OS marketing for them. When there is no-one there to sell the OS (as was the case with Vista) then things go wrong very quickly.  Many people have complained that they couldn't even find the Linux option on the Leveno website.

HP recently toyed with the idea of releasing their own Linux-based consumer OS (for about six minutes), before they realised the work and effort involved.

If the hardware manufacturers really want to sell Linux as an alternative to Windows, they they're going to have to help market it; simple as that.

• User profile image
    Dovella

• User profile image
    matthews

Linux on the desktop only takes up about 0.8% of all computers; it's no wonder they've stopped selling PCs preloaded with it, there just isn't a market for it.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

matthews said:
    Linux on the desktop only takes up about 0.8% of all computers; it's no wonder they've stopped selling PCs preloaded with it, there just isn't a market for it.
    Lenovo/ThinkPad are rubbish, the design just sucks

• User profile image
    Bass

It could have been pressure from Microsoft. I mean the company has a history of doing stuff like that.

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:
    It could have been pressure from Microsoft. I mean the company has a history of doing stuff like that.
    Yes, God knows it couldn't possibly be anything else.

• User profile image
    Bass

Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Sure, for who knows it might be because Lenevo sold a total of two laptops, one to Bill Gates himself (the world's #1 Linux fan) and one to a poor sod who got it confused with a Windows machine. They couldn't justify the total of $3 billion dollars and thousands of man hours they spent on figuring out how to get wifi working on their laptops (actually that's a whole other story in itself!), and the $1 billion dollar license fee they had to pay to Richard Stallman (he also threw in the Brooklyn Bridge for only $5 million). That * didn't even buy one because it came with a properitary BIOS.

But really, I am sure Bill Gates is personally devastated by this. He can't buy Lenovo Linux laptops for his buddies for Christmas like he planned to. Poor fella. Sad 

In other news, hell has frozen over, pigs can fly, and Dvorak has finally grown a brain cell. What a day, what a day.

What about me, will you say? I love the World, and all it's shiny things. Boom-de-yada, boom-de-yada. Before you think there is a point to any of this, there isn't. Points are for pencils. The truth is scary. The truth doesn't have a point. In fact the whole idea of truth is sort of like a big brick. It's very blunt. It's like a brick in the face. Realizing the truth is like sitting there and lingering in the pain of the strike. And that is why ignorance is bliss.

• User profile image
    BryanF

Bass said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Sure, for who knows it might be because Lenevo sold a total of two laptops, one to Bill Gates himself (the world's #1 Linux fan) and one to a poor sod who got it confused with a Windows machine. They couldn't justify the total of $3 billion dollars and thousands of man hours they spent on figuring out how to get wifi working on their laptops (actually that's a whole other story in itself!), and the $1 billion dollar license fee they had to pay to Richard Stallman (he also threw in the Brooklyn Bridge for only $5 million). That * didn't even buy one because it came with a properitary BIOS.

But really, I am sure Bill Gates is personally devastated by this. He can't buy Lenovo Linux laptops for his buddies for Christmas like he planned to. Poor fella. Sad 

In other news, hell has frozen over, pigs can fly, and Dvorak has finally grown a brain cell. What a day, what a day.

What about me, will you say? I love the World, and all it's shiny things. Boom-de-yada, boom-de-yada. Before you think there is a point to any of this, there isn't. Points are for pencils. The truth is scary. The truth doesn't have a point. In fact the whole idea of truth is sort of like a big brick. It's very blunt. It's like a brick in the face. Realizing the truth is like sitting there and lingering in the pain of the strike. And that is why ignorance is bliss.
    Easy there, Morpheus! If you blow our minds too soon, how will we be able to swallow the right pill? Wink

• User profile image
    Jason I

Bass said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I'm very confused.

Probably because I"m a noob.

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Thanks, but the desperation in trying to somehow blame Microsoft for this is hilarious enough, you don't need to try and overdo it.

• User profile image
    Bass

BryanF said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Easy there, Morpheus! If you blow our minds too soon, how will we be able to swallow the right pill? Wink
    Morpheus was my student. He also made some mean waffles. He liked to share, that's what made him a great leader.

• User profile image
    Bass

Jason I said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    I'm very confused.

Probably because I"m a noob.
    Confusion is the first step towards wisdom. Stay confused, stay very confused. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bass

Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Thanks, but the desperation in trying to somehow blame Microsoft for this is hilarious enough, you don't need to try and overdo it.

Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. George Bush (or quite possibly, Burritos) is the answer.

It is said that every problem in computer science is a graph problem. There can be no greater underestimate of graph theory then this statement. Money gives you an edge.

Touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it, turn it, leave it, start it, format it. And don't look back. Unless have a debugger that can step back. I don't.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

No matter, Lenovol Notebook craps out Vista anyway, 30 minutes restart.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ray7

Bas said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Yes, given that these days, Microsoft could be fined billions for sneezing without a handkerchief, I think it's probably not as likely as it used to be.

• User profile image
    jh71283

magicalclick said:
    No matter, Lenovol Notebook craps out Vista anyway, 30 minutes restart.
    Ummm... that didn't make too much sense....

• User profile image
    Minh

jh71283 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    Ummm... that didn't make too much sense....
    Hehe... Bass is drunk-posting...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Minh said:
    jh71283 said:
    *snip*
    Hehe... Bass is drunk-posting...
    isn't that you in the photo posted by Bass? Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.