Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple re-releases iTunes8 to fix Vista crash.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

Old news, but I was fascinated by some of the comments.

Apple fails to test its software (again), and somehow this is Microsoft's fault?

• User profile image
    matthews

Why are they using kernel-mode to write a USB driver anyway?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

matthews said:
    Why are they using kernel-mode to write a USB driver anyway?
    iTunes also includes drivers for CD burning and a few other bits of functionality.

Plus the iPod has been around much longer than the UMDF so I wouldn't expect them to have rewritten their drivers for it. Neither is UMDF widely available on client computers (it isn't installed on my computer, for example).

• User profile image
    jjesse

W3bbo said:
    matthews said:
    *snip*
    iTunes also includes drivers for CD burning and a few other bits of functionality.

Plus the iPod has been around much longer than the UMDF so I wouldn't expect them to have rewritten their drivers for it. Neither is UMDF widely available on client computers (it isn't installed on my computer, for example).

@W3bbo
    Sorry I have to disagree with you on this one.  Apple has slowly been adding crap and crap to Itunes+QuickTime + Burn to CD +++++

Why can't it just be iTunes?  Why do I have to use quicktime and have quicktime installed in order for iTunes to work?

See Ed Bott's take on this mess for a great opinion    

• User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Got to love Apple and its flock of religious followers. Apple write a USB driver, it blue screens Vista and it's somehow Microsoft's fault??!!
    For me, Apple lost any chance of me switching to their products when this happened:
    http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

To quote "As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it."

So they basically shipped some Video iPods complete with a windows virus and then blamed Microsoft for allowing viruses on the windows platform. Sheer arrogance and it will unravel around them eventually.
    Apple, nice products - lousy attitude and that's why I'm not a customer.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus gives me "ACCESS DENIED" in big red letters Smiley

When I try to post this without this paragraph, I get a post dupe message - which it obviously isn't (hence my attempt at posting "I can't comment" after refreshing, for those who saw it Smiley).

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I was particularly amused by the "90% of users are still using XP, so you don't really expect Apple to test the other 10% scenarios, do you?" comment in the original article. 

iTunes has an install base of millions. It has a Vista install base of several hundred thousands at least, I expect (no figures checked). Yes, I do expect a company to thoroughly check a scenario experienced by hundreds of thousands of their customers.

• User profile image
    Ray7

OrigamiCar said:
    Got to love Apple and its flock of religious followers. Apple write a USB driver, it blue screens Vista and it's somehow Microsoft's fault??!!
    For me, Apple lost any chance of me switching to their products when this happened:
    http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

To quote "As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it."

So they basically shipped some Video iPods complete with a windows virus and then blamed Microsoft for allowing viruses on the windows platform. Sheer arrogance and it will unravel around them eventually.
    Apple, nice products - lousy attitude and that's why I'm not a customer.
    Yes, I remember that.

I think this is when the rot began to set in. If the company cannot take responsibility for something like this, then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Following this, we've had the buggy Leopard release, the crappy iPhone software (still no fixed), the MobileMe mess (still not fixed), the iTunes Vista crash ....

Something is not right in Cupertino

• User profile image
    matthews

Ray7 said:
    OrigamiCar said:
    *snip*
    Yes, I remember that.

I think this is when the rot began to set in. If the company cannot take responsibility for something like this, then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Following this, we've had the buggy Leopard release, the crappy iPhone software (still no fixed), the MobileMe mess (still not fixed), the iTunes Vista crash ....

Something is not right in Cupertino
    iPhone just seems to be draining their development resources; recall they delayed the release of Leopard more than 6 months to accomodate the release of the iPhone.

• User profile image
    stevo_

matthews said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    iPhone just seems to be draining their development resources; recall they delayed the release of Leopard more than 6 months to accomodate the release of the iPhone.
    I think that was more related to general dev issues with the OS, they already released it far to early with some pretty disgusting reliably / security flaws that would of earned 'a certain other company' a 'media' (I say media, thats what they call theirselves) * raping.

• User profile image
    Ray7

stevo_ said:
    matthews said:
    *snip*
    I think that was more related to general dev issues with the OS, they already released it far to early with some pretty disgusting reliably / security flaws that would of earned 'a certain other company' a 'media' (I say media, thats what they call theirselves) * raping.

Indeed, and that's something that Apple has to watch; if they smell a failure in the wind, then the press will turn on them in a second.

Just looking around the web, it seems that there is a growing belief that Apple is deliberately releasing crap code on Windows to make the platform look unstable .... after all, they can't possibly be this incompetent.

That's the kind of rumour you don't need.

• User profile image
    androidi

In the beginning I said, "Let there be QuickTime," and there was QuickTime. But I saw that it was no good, and I separated the it from my machine. Later I gave it five more chances and it was no better, so I'm not really surprised by any of this. Not saying WMP is perfect with it's hidden volume control and few pixel height position control, doubt MS tested that one on super high res?

I won't even get started on drivers getting installed behind the back. Not much different from QuickTime doing funky stuff in Registry that uninstall didn't fix. BTW afaik iTunes with its quicktime install still does mess up WMP subtly I recently had to fix that one for a friend.

• User profile image
    Bass

androidi said:
    In the beginning I said, "Let there be QuickTime," and there was QuickTime. But I saw that it was no good, and I separated the it from my machine. Later I gave it five more chances and it was no better, so I'm not really surprised by any of this. Not saying WMP is perfect with it's hidden volume control and few pixel height position control, doubt MS tested that one on super high res?

I won't even get started on drivers getting installed behind the back. Not much different from QuickTime doing funky stuff in Registry that uninstall didn't fix. BTW afaik iTunes with its quicktime install still does mess up WMP subtly I recently had to fix that one for a friend.
    androidi said:
    In the beginning I said, "Let there be QuickTime," and there was QuickTime. But I saw that it was no good, and I separated the it from my machine.
    That is an awesome introductory sentence. I award you 10 points for creativity.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.