Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

PC/OS 2008v2 preloaded

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • rjdohnert

Well guys, if you buy a certain computer on the internet you can elect to have PC/OS preloaded.  I forgot to mention this on September 11 in these forums and I apologize.  You niners have been so supportive of a Linux based initiative.

More details here

By the way the manufacturer is Psystar.  Yes the same Psystar that is getting sued by Apple, but more importantly the same Psystar that corona_coder submitted gNewSense to and opted not to include.

• jjesse

congrats RJ that's great news to hear

Watch out for the lawsuits from Corna_Coder Smiley  Haven't had a chance to look at PC/oS but it's great news to hear a manufacturer picking up a linux os    

• stevo_

jjesse said:
    congrats RJ that's great news to hear

Watch out for the lawsuits from Corna_Coder Smiley  Haven't had a chance to look at PC/oS but it's great news to hear a manufacturer picking up a linux os    
    I've gotta be honest, when you first talked about this yonks ago I really didn't get the point.. so its ubuntu but preconfigured.. I just don't see how thats warranted as a new name or the hype.. I also really wonder how far you'll get with this before it gets noticed enough and you end up having to deal with legality issues of having a preconfigured OS (windows is becoming less and less pre-configured due to legal bs)..

Pretty harsh but I really don't get it..

• rjdohnert

stevo_ said:
    jjesse said:
    *snip*
    I've gotta be honest, when you first talked about this yonks ago I really didn't get the point.. so its ubuntu but preconfigured.. I just don't see how thats warranted as a new name or the hype.. I also really wonder how far you'll get with this before it gets noticed enough and you end up having to deal with legality issues of having a preconfigured OS (windows is becoming less and less pre-configured due to legal bs)..

Pretty harsh but I really don't get it..
    " I've gotta be honest, when you first talked about this yonks ago I really didn't get the point.. so its ubuntu but preconfigured.."

The point being is that Ubuntu doesnt come preconfigured with anything and this isnt what users want or what they have come to expect out of a user experience.  Would you rather have an experience where you can just do what you want to do and dont worry about apt-get package XYZ? Even Linux Mint is frustrating to use.

" I just don't see how that's warranted as a new name or the hype.."

I had to change the name because of hehehehe legality issues.  When you include packages not included in the Ubuntu repository you cant use, Ubuntu or buntu in the name.  The is why OpenGEU had to change the name and why Linux Mint doesnt use Ubuntu or buntu in the name.  I was actually going to call it OS/4 which is what I was compiling at first but changed it due to what I perceived as Legal issues with OS/2. 

" I also really wonder how far you'll get with this before it gets noticed enough and you end up having to deal with legality issues of having a preconfigured OS (windows is becoming less and less pre-configured due to legal bs).."

What Microsoft does is tie into the OS, you can take out Flock out of PC/OS and use Firefox or Opera and even Google Chrome when it becomes available for Linux.  Can you take out IE?  Look at everything Microsoft gets in trouble for and can you take that out of the system?  No.  You can add apps, you can take apps away but not the Microsoft preinstalled stuff.  Is PC/OS getting noticed?  Yep it is.  I have 2 vendors preinstalling PC/OS on their PC's, well one officially the other says by the end of the month.  I have a vast variety of users and its growing.  I dont have any illusions of being the next great OS vendor, I have said this many times before.  PC/OS will exist if I have one user or no users, its what I find useful.  PC/OS has no legality issues except for the Linux zealots like corona_coder who have mental illusions of legal problems.   I personally use PC/OS on everything from the EeePC down to my lowliest file server.

Can you blame me for being excited that some people like it and have a need that PC/OS scratches.

• Bass

From your screenshots your OS has a similarity to BeOS interface which is pretty cool... also congratulations on your OEM deal!

• corona_coder

I saw that on your blog.  Dont worry, Im writing Psystar an cease and desist.  I cant believe they chose P, drop the C, OS over gNewSense.  But no matter, you wont make any money and you will be broke and homeless by years end.  Your stupid distribution is DEAD!!!$$$

edit  breaking news

rj is spotted away from his computer, picture here

• littleguru

corona_coder said:
    I saw that on your blog.  Dont worry, Im writing Psystar an cease and desist.  I cant believe they chose P, drop the C, OS over gNewSense.  But no matter, you wont make any money and you will be broke and homeless by years end.  Your stupid distribution is DEAD!!!$$$

edit  breaking news

rj is spotted away from his computer, picture here
    What's the problem with you? Really corona. What's up? Envy?

• JChung2006

littleguru said:
    corona_coder said:
    *snip*
    What's the problem with you? Really corona. What's up? Envy?
    corona_coder is actually a subtle MS marketing ploy designed to make Linux fans look like basement-dwelling idiots.

• Sven Groot

JChung2006 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    corona_coder is actually a subtle MS marketing ploy designed to make Linux fans look like basement-dwelling idiots.
    You have a strange definition of "subtle". Tongue Out

• jh71283

JChung2006 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    In that case I think this is the most successful MS marketing ploy to date.

• TommyCarlier

Congrats, RJ. I'm not an active Linux user, but I can see you're the good kind of Linux user: the kind that uses what works, regardless of where it came from. If only more Linux users where like you (and XaeroVincent).

• Minh

TommyCarlier said:
    Congrats, RJ. I'm not an active Linux user, but I can see you're the good kind of Linux user: the kind that uses what works, regardless of where it came from. If only more Linux users where like you (and XaeroVincent).
    Tee Hee...

I found a picture of corona.

But, yeah, rj... I don't understand the world of Linux... but that sounds like a good thing.

• blowdart

Minh said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Tee Hee...

I found a picture of corona.

But, yeah, rj... I don't understand the world of Linux... but that sounds like a good thing.
    It's interesting how he says he has patents (how very "unfree"), and yet the US patent web site has no record of him....

• Ray7

rjdonhert said:

What Microsoft does is tie into the OS, you can take out Flock out of PC/OS and use Firefox or Opera and even Google Chrome when it becomes available for Linux.  Can you take out IE?  Look at everything Microsoft gets in trouble for and can you take that out of the system?  No.  You can add apps, you can take apps away but not the Microsoft preinstalled stuff.

To be honest, I've never really seen the problem with not being able to remove stuff; it's never stopped me using FireFox, or QuickTime or anything else.

But good luck with the PyStar stuff; anything that helps them is all good in my opinion.

• stevo_

rjdohnert said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    " I've gotta be honest, when you first talked about this yonks ago I really didn't get the point.. so its ubuntu but preconfigured.."

The point being is that Ubuntu doesnt come preconfigured with anything and this isnt what users want or what they have come to expect out of a user experience.  Would you rather have an experience where you can just do what you want to do and dont worry about apt-get package XYZ? Even Linux Mint is frustrating to use.

" I just don't see how that's warranted as a new name or the hype.."

I had to change the name because of hehehehe legality issues.  When you include packages not included in the Ubuntu repository you cant use, Ubuntu or buntu in the name.  The is why OpenGEU had to change the name and why Linux Mint doesnt use Ubuntu or buntu in the name.  I was actually going to call it OS/4 which is what I was compiling at first but changed it due to what I perceived as Legal issues with OS/2. 

" I also really wonder how far you'll get with this before it gets noticed enough and you end up having to deal with legality issues of having a preconfigured OS (windows is becoming less and less pre-configured due to legal bs).."

What Microsoft does is tie into the OS, you can take out Flock out of PC/OS and use Firefox or Opera and even Google Chrome when it becomes available for Linux.  Can you take out IE?  Look at everything Microsoft gets in trouble for and can you take that out of the system?  No.  You can add apps, you can take apps away but not the Microsoft preinstalled stuff.  Is PC/OS getting noticed?  Yep it is.  I have 2 vendors preinstalling PC/OS on their PC's, well one officially the other says by the end of the month.  I have a vast variety of users and its growing.  I dont have any illusions of being the next great OS vendor, I have said this many times before.  PC/OS will exist if I have one user or no users, its what I find useful.  PC/OS has no legality issues except for the Linux zealots like corona_coder who have mental illusions of legal problems.   I personally use PC/OS on everything from the EeePC down to my lowliest file server.

Can you blame me for being excited that some people like it and have a need that PC/OS scratches.
    I don't think thats nec~ true, IE is only required in the sense its a dependency for certain apis, so they can provide a html rendering ability without needing to implement a full browser stack theirself (wow imagine that).. ie the browser interface can be disabled if required.

As for specific cases regarding pre-configured, the biggest most recent stuff was regarding having default search or a default browser at all, but instead giving the users options..

I can see the need to make linux more user friendly, but I find it somewhat ironic that theres yet ANOTHER 'distro' made to attempt this, not to mention the others you pointed out that have tried something similar..

Personally I would of tried to arrange something with ubuntu, and not to get the OS preconfigured in the sense you've gone down, because I'm really not convinced that'll be considered 'fair'.. especially in the world of open source where everyone has their own variant.

I'd go as far as saying that in the spirit of open source, pre-configurability (defaults), is really against the idea.. you should be abstracting the configuration of the OS to make it as easy as possible for the user to pick a browser, mail client, etc.. codecs sure.. most people really shouldn't have to be bothered about that, but preinstalling codecs doesn't really warrant another distro, it warrants the media layer of the OS being able to find codecs for you seamlessly if possible.. (similar to how windows will take you to a website for information about unknown extensions).

• Bas

Congrats, that's good news.

• Yggdrasil

stevo_ said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*
    I don't think thats nec~ true, IE is only required in the sense its a dependency for certain apis, so they can provide a html rendering ability without needing to implement a full browser stack theirself (wow imagine that).. ie the browser interface can be disabled if required.

As for specific cases regarding pre-configured, the biggest most recent stuff was regarding having default search or a default browser at all, but instead giving the users options..

I can see the need to make linux more user friendly, but I find it somewhat ironic that theres yet ANOTHER 'distro' made to attempt this, not to mention the others you pointed out that have tried something similar..

Personally I would of tried to arrange something with ubuntu, and not to get the OS preconfigured in the sense you've gone down, because I'm really not convinced that'll be considered 'fair'.. especially in the world of open source where everyone has their own variant.

I'd go as far as saying that in the spirit of open source, pre-configurability (defaults), is really against the idea.. you should be abstracting the configuration of the OS to make it as easy as possible for the user to pick a browser, mail client, etc.. codecs sure.. most people really shouldn't have to be bothered about that, but preinstalling codecs doesn't really warrant another distro, it warrants the media layer of the OS being able to find codecs for you seamlessly if possible.. (similar to how windows will take you to a website for information about unknown extensions).
    stevo_ said:
    "I'd go as far as saying that in the spirit of open source, pre-configurability (defaults), is really against the idea.. "

I disagree with you. I think it's just a rabid subset of open source fanatics that carry the "Open source means compiling everything from scratch". If Linux wants to gain headway on the desktop, it needs to adopt a two-tier approach - preconfigured and ready out of the box for most users, but with the ability to configure and replace whatever is wanted afterwards. 

I don't have to be a programmer to use open-source software, and I don't need to know how it works. 

• stevo_

Yggdrasil said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

I disagree with you. I think it's just a rabid subset of open source fanatics that carry the "Open source means compiling everything from scratch". If Linux wants to gain headway on the desktop, it needs to adopt a two-tier approach - preconfigured and ready out of the box for most users, but with the ability to configure and replace whatever is wanted afterwards. 

I don't have to be a programmer to use open-source software, and I don't need to know how it works. 

I wasn't stating that they want to compile everything, only that they want choice.. defaults are great but seems to me you'll always be stepping on peoples toes.. if you subscribed your application via some sort of lightweight signing process - your application is then listed as an option for whatever category it is.. users could rate the application etc so the list of choices lets you see the best user rated etc.

I'm not sure how complex the packages thing in ubuntu is now, but when I used it yonks ago it seemed like it could well evolve in that direction.. its a great way to get the community involved and offers new users the best choices without defaulting those choices..

My point again was purely that open source has always argued about choice, defaults aren't really choice for your most basic users.. interestingly I disagree with choice over defaults myself - I think defaults are the best approach, do as much as you can for the user but give them reasonable powers of influence.

• Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.