Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE8 and S+S

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

Playing with IE8, I was suddenly wondering.. Why are they giving me all these new features of dubious usability that assume I have no idea what I'm looking for or where I'm going (*cough* address bar), yet existing features are still as old-fashioned as ever. For instance, why are bookmarks still stored locally? Why isn't there even an option to store those guys online? The biggest problem with the internet, for me, is that any site I bookmark, or every feed I read, I have to re-bookmark and re-read on all my other PC's.

IE8 somehow still assumes that I only want to be able to acces my stuff on the PC I last accessed it, instead of wherever I am. Read a feed on your laptop? Too bad, it's still gonna be marked as read on your other PC's, so you'll have no idea if any feeds have been updated if you use one of those PC's. You're just gonna have to click them all and figure out if there was any news. Bookmarked a website at work? That's too bad, you'll just have to try and find that site again when you're at home.

Why isn't that stuff stored online somewhere? IE8 is giving me all these features that I never new I needed, like accellerators and web slices and an address bar with artificial intelligence, and yet it's not doing a single thing about the feature that has been bugging me for years. What with Microsoft's push for software + services, why is the number one internet application so completely oblivious to them?

• User profile image
    wisemx

Lift your hat and feel that soft spot on the back of your head...
    The IE team assumes some stuff is still being kept there. Big Smile

OK, flame on...I deserve it.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I've solved the favorites thing by syncing my favorites with FolderShare. I definitely agree about the feeds though.

• User profile image
    Bas

wisemx said:
    Lift your hat and feel that soft spot on the back of your head...
    The IE team assumes some stuff is still being kept there. Big Smile

OK, flame on...I deserve it.
    Great, I guess that means they can remove the marking of read/unread feeds too, huh? Geeze...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven Groot said:
    I've solved the favorites thing by syncing my favorites with FolderShare. I definitely agree about the feeds though.
    I'm using Opera, so bookmarks are synced automatically via my My.Opera account. And to solve the feeds-problem I recently imported my Opera feed list (currently 171 feeds) into Google Reader, and have been using that ever since. It's a lot faster (since my local Opera doesn't have to do the syncing with all the feeds) and automatically accessible from my different machines (home + work).

• User profile image
    wkempf

Sven Groot said:
    Bookmarks are not all that useful, IMHO.  I used to keep thousands of bookmarks.  I converted them between various formats, synced them online in various ways, even used social bookmarking.  Then, one day I realized bookmarks were one way.  I saved them, but never went back and used them.  Why not?  Because in order to use a bookmark, I had to first find it, which required searching.  If I'm searching any way, it's much faster to use a text search, and saves a few clicks if that search just went to the site.  This usually means I use Google as my "bookmarks".  The idea of taking this further and using history is great.  Not sure I'd want that to be "in the cloud", though.  Not only for privacy reasons, but also because my browser usage various from location to location.  What I visit frequently on my work machine is not what I visist frequently at home.

If you don't agree, there's plenty of options for syncing bookmarks, including at least two freely available from Microsoft.  I don't really want the IE team wasting time on such a feature.

I gave up on using a local RSS reader, for the very reason you give here.  I use Google Reader for RSS reading.  Works fairly well, but I'd still love to see the RSS platform support selective syncing of the read/unread/starred/etc. metadata.  I say selective, because there's feeds I read at work that are behind the intranet firewall, and should not be synced in the cloud.  This should be a feed by feed selection.  If we had that, I'd drop online aggregators in a heart beat.

• User profile image
    CplCarrot

I have to wonder if the shadow of anti-trust is looming ofer such a decision. If MS implemented this in the default IE then how long would it be before Google went running off to teacher screaming "Not fair" its locked into a MS platform.(remember Adobe and the Office 2007 PDF feature) By leaving it off and also releasing a Mesh add on for this they dont get into the hair pulling fight in the playground.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.