Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Vista Good At Dumbing Down...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

...for slower computers? I know this was ont of the features of it when it first came out, that you could put it on older computers and it would turn off functionality and things like that.

I'd like to put Home Premium on my Motion Computering LE1600 Tablet, 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM(I can't put in more). Think Vista would go on okay for this?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It'll run, but 512MB is really too low to run Vista comfortably. I wouldn't really recommend it.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Not really, from my experience anyway. Vista becomes a completely different OS when you starve it for resources..

• User profile image
    dentaku

Once you go under 1GB of ram it's not worth using.

• User profile image
    turrican

I got a friend with a celeron and 512MB RAM, he runs it "fine", even runs VC# Express on it. But... if you want "smooth", I recommend 2GB RAM. 1GB is so so. 2GB will make a huge difference.

Edit : That being said, I would never personally run Vista on a 512MB RAM. I would rather hang myself with an extension cord instead.

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ZippyV

If you still decide to try it make sure to completely disable themes and run in the Windows classic mode.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

ZippyV said:
    If you still decide to try it make sure to completely disable themes and run in the Windows classic mode.
    Figured RAM would be an issue. I could try it I guess, but since it is a Tablet PC, I won't be doing much of any bells and whistles. No wallpaper, widgets, classic mode, etc.

And the only thing I really use it for is Office, FeedDemon, Microsoft Reader pretty much. It's a paper replacement mostly, not using paper for 2.5 years is nice Smiley

Only problem with Motion Computing here in Canada is they only do stuff out of Toronto, so I'd have to send it there from Vancouver, and it would probably be sent to China anyways to get repped.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Sven Groot said:
    It'll run, but 512MB is really too low to run Vista comfortably. I wouldn't really recommend it.
    Nah, I run Vista Basic at home on 768MB (just 256 more). I notice it's considerably more responsive than XP. Whether responsiveness factors into actual speed is something debatable, but the observable speed difference seems to be an increase.

I'm not sure what Vista does to compensate for the lack of good hardware, other than not run Aero Glass.  But, if you do starve Vista, as _stevo pointed out, from the get go, the optimization tasks Vista performs at first boot should adjust everything accordingly for performance.

• User profile image
    AndyC

To be honest, with only 512MB of RAM I'd probably skip it, especially given that tablet PC's aren't exactly overpowered in the CPU department. Now would be a great time to invest in a nice shiny Dell Latitude XT. Wink

• User profile image
    Harlequin

AndyC said:
    To be honest, with only 512MB of RAM I'd probably skip it, especially given that tablet PC's aren't exactly overpowered in the CPU department. Now would be a great time to invest in a nice shiny Dell Latitude XT. Wink
    Well opening a panel in the back, and learning a bit more, there is an empty slot there for 200pin DDR2. So I headed out, bought a 2GB one, popped it in, and it worked. SHOULD be better for Vista with 2GB now I'd think.

Edit: Installed Home Premium. Nice and smooth I must say from first impressions, I love the TabletPC stuff so far. Gotta put Office 2007 and OneNote 2007 on and check those out Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.