Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

@Silverlight: 64bit? No Dice. Really??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ix

For shame. How can you make a 64 bit OS and not support it? Anyone know why?

• figuerres

well you do have two version of IE in 64 bit windows... it does run in the other IE right??

• DuNuNuBatman

I don't know of any pluggins that work in IE x64. They should start moving that direction, but as of right now, I don't think there is any technical reason to do so.

• matthews

Does your browser really need 16 exabytes of address space?

• SlackmasterK

matthews said:
    Does your browser really need 16 exabytes of address space?
    The point is not having to open a new window... copy, paste address...   Since we are the kind of people who start > run > iexplore, and x64 comes up via that standard command...

It's bad enough Adobe makes us do this; but come on, we expect better of Microsoft.  You're better than Adobe.

• Sven Groot

One of the effects of this is that any Sidebar gadgets that use Silverlight will not work on Vista x64 because the sidebar is 64 bit (a 32 bit sidebar is also included but th 64 bit one is the one that starts by default).

It sucks.

• Cream​Filling512

Sven Groot said:

One of the effects of this is that any Sidebar gadgets that use Silverlight will not work on Vista x64 because the sidebar is 64 bit (a 32 bit sidebar is also included but th 64 bit one is the one that starts by default).

It sucks.

How do they mess this up so badly?  I thought one of the main points of .NET is its supposed to be agnostic of the CPU architecture.

• stevo_

CreamFilling512 said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

How do they mess this up so badly?  I thought one of the main points of .NET is its supposed to be agnostic of the CPU architecture.

Personally I don't think you need to copy between both, theres no advantages with ie64, and going to run and typing iexplorer is a bit daft considering the quick icons, start menu pinned items.

• Bas

CreamFilling512 said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

I especially like how in a lot of Microsoft videos I've seen they keep asserting with a straight face that they're committed about 64 bit and are supporting it widely.

• figuerres

CreamFilling512 said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

"How do they mess this up so badly? 
    I thought one of the main points of .NET is its supposed to be agnostic of the CPU architecture."

the browser hosts the plugin that in turn hosts silverlight.  and that means you have some low level issues with what you can do.
    also the silverlight runtime is kept small by not having all the bits found in a full .net runtime.

I do want to see more 64 bit support for stuff...  but I think support for the browser would mean a full set of 64 bit silverlight binaries for IE 64 bit.

• Black​Stallion

Thanks, microsoft I luv silverlight...You really got a hit on this one!

• kettch

figuerres said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*
    "How do they mess this up so badly? 
    I thought one of the main points of .NET is its supposed to be agnostic of the CPU architecture."

the browser hosts the plugin that in turn hosts silverlight.  and that means you have some low level issues with what you can do.
    also the silverlight runtime is kept small by not having all the bits found in a full .net runtime.

I do want to see more 64 bit support for stuff...  but I think support for the browser would mean a full set of 64 bit silverlight binaries for IE 64 bit.

Compiled .NET assemblies should be able to run on any architecture, but the underlying framework needs to be specifically compiled for each architecture.

• tylerwilson

I was looking for someplace to post my opinion on this issue, and this seems to be an appropriate place.

I agree, it is shameful that MS does not do more to get people over to the x64 side of the world. About once a year I try to set up an x64 system - XP x64, Vista x64 and now Win7 x64. Each time I try to get a 'pure' x64 system, and each time I fail - though each time it is slightly closer.

If anybody should be making x64 versions of applications, drivers, etc it is Microsoft. Get get on the ball and do it!

Thanks,
    Tyler

• intelman

tylerwilson said:
    I was looking for someplace to post my opinion on this issue, and this seems to be an appropriate place.

I agree, it is shameful that MS does not do more to get people over to the x64 side of the world. About once a year I try to set up an x64 system - XP x64, Vista x64 and now Win7 x64. Each time I try to get a 'pure' x64 system, and each time I fail - though each time it is slightly closer.

If anybody should be making x64 versions of applications, drivers, etc it is Microsoft. Get get on the ball and do it!

Thanks,
    Tyler
    The sidebar in x64 Vista is 64bit, no silverlight can be used in gadgets. The same goes for Flash Sad

• Cupiditas

kettch said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Compiled .NET assemblies should be able to run on any architecture, but the underlying framework needs to be specifically compiled for each architecture.

I assume it's not the framework that's the problem with Silverlight anyway, but the lack of a 64bit display plug-in (which is native).

• Erisan

Sorry this is a bit offtopic ... but I think this is pretty interesting

"Jo Shields has also done the work to port Moonlight to ARM" - Taking Over the World

• littleguru

Sven Groot said:

It sucks.

Anyone knowing if there's a Silverlight host for 64bit in the plannings/development?

• figuerres

littleguru said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Anyone knowing if there's a Silverlight host for 64bit in the plannings/development?

sounds like a good one to put to the mixlive / ask the gu thing.... Mr. Gu any love for x64 IE in the works....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.