Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I survived hurricane Ike and all I got is this stinkin' T-shirt?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

    OK, no T-shirt actually, but we did have 74 mph wind when the remnant of Ike met up w/ a cold front. I'm not sure how that generates 74 mph wind, but, 600,000 homes are still without power today.

    Here are some pics around Cincinnati:







    People are overreacting a bit... long gas lines, etc... but actually now, I see a lot of kids on the streets playing, too, now that they don't have TV to watch.

    Our energy company has a map w/ usable data of outages, but w/ 600,000 homes, it's not really usable. There's no zoom or anything. This could be an opportunity for MS to get some PR by providing a better map via VirtualEarth. If Mark Brown can put me in touch w/ someone that can teach me the VE API, I think we can have something put together for the Cincy area in 24 hrs.



  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    Yeah pretty crazy. Luckily my power came on earlier this afternoon. Not so luckily are the people who had huge trees fall in their yards/houses.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    harumscarum said:
    Yeah pretty crazy. Luckily my power came on earlier this afternoon. Not so luckily are the people who had huge trees fall in their yards/houses.
    I heard from some of my cube neighbors at work that Duke is telling them it'll be at least Saturday before they get their power back. Damn!

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    Minh said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*
    I heard from some of my cube neighbors at work that Duke is telling them it'll be at least Saturday before they get their power back. Damn!
    well in Texas it may be weeks till they all get power back on.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    figuerres said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    well in Texas it may be weeks till they all get power back on.

    Global warming does predict more unpredictable, power hurricanes. Who knows...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.