Coffeehouse Thread

100 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Microsoft aiming for an early Windows 7 launch?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Posted by Ed Bott @ 3:12 pm

Andy Patrizio at InternetNews.com has raised some eyebrows with his report that an “internal calendar” at Microsoft has June 3, 2009 as the planned release date for Windows 7.

That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. Earlier this year, in my Windows 7 release date prediction pool, I picked July 29, 2009 as the date when I expected Windows 7 to go gold, and a pair of commenters on that thread picked June 1 and June 6, putting them in the catbird seat if this latest report is correct and Microsoft can stick to that schedule. (The consensus among pool participants after five weeks of voting was September 30, 2009.)

Continue

------------------------------------------

Possible??

• User profile image
    stevo_

Well they wanted to keep it quiet, and since those milestone feedback builds that got talked about a lot its been extremely quiet, so that could discount the fact we haven't heard or seen anything..

Personally I don't think 7 will be out next year, whats wrong with vista - you guys are never content!

• User profile image
    stun

whats wrong with vista - you guys are never content!

It is not like I hate Vista.
    It is not that I love Vista either.
    I **like** it.

Here is to hoping and wishing Windows 7 is going to rock...

Ahh....wishful thinking

• User profile image
    Dovella

stevo_ said:

Well they wanted to keep it quiet, and since those milestone feedback builds that got talked about a lot its been extremely quiet, so that could discount the fact we haven't heard or seen anything..

Personally I don't think 7 will be out next year, whats wrong with vista - you guys are never content!

I am the happiest user in the world with Vista, but this news stir me from dying,

and then I am sure that Windows 7 OUT  MAX December 

• User profile image
    Dovella

stun said:

I **like** it.

Ahh....wishful thinking
    er not Stun
    Vista Sp1 is Rock!!!

• User profile image
    intelman

stevo_ said:

Well I can't wait.

• User profile image
    jamie

intelman said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Well I can't wait.
    it would make sence that after the LONG wait last time - that they would say one date - then beat it by a mile to appear - fast

all i can say is ... GOOD! Smiley

• User profile image
    matthews

stun said:

I **like** it.

Ahh....wishful thinking
    Thing is, almost everything that people claim to hate about Vista that hasn't already been "fixed" (such as drivers not working) will still be there in Windows 7. UAC, WGA, kernel mode code signing policy, different SKUs, Blu-Ray DRM, system requirements, software broken by UAC or other security improvements, etc, etc, etc. None of that is going to go away.

• User profile image
    jamie

matthews said:
    stun said:
    *snip*
    Thing is, almost everything that people claim to hate about Vista that hasn't already been "fixed" (such as drivers not working) will still be there in Windows 7. UAC, WGA, kernel mode code signing policy, different SKUs, Blu-Ray DRM, system requirements, software broken by UAC or other security improvements, etc, etc, etc. None of that is going to go away.
    add the unfinished/unalter-able UI to that list - and thats what im hoping changes.

• User profile image
    stevo_

jamie said:
    matthews said:
    *snip*
    add the unfinished/unalter-able UI to that list - and thats what im hoping changes.
    I'm glad windows ui isn't hugelly customizable, I think vista lets you do theming which is fine, but sadly I think MS were working on something for 7 to make it more customizable again.. sigh, now windows will look like retard city again.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

jamie said:
    matthews said:
    *snip*
    Hey jamie, I hear Windows 7 will feature more of the ribbon interface

• User profile image
    jamie

stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    I'm glad windows ui isn't hugelly customizable, I think vista lets you do theming which is fine, but sadly I think MS were working on something for 7 to make it more customizable again.. sigh, now windows will look like retard city again.

Well in Vista - it is good that they have the hue/sat thingy to change window bar colours

... but startbar was excluded - as was start menu back.

It would be great if they just FINISHED that feature.

so if i want blue i can have blue - and if you want black you can have black

(im not talking about hello kitty themes here Wink

also - creating your own toolbars to put on different sides of your monitor... ill tell you - with a 30 inch monitor - you NEED this feature.

good thing im running rocket dock )at the bottom) and taskbar at the top

otherwise my hands would break going back to one place (far)

I also hope they finally get the the control panel to be all in one window with no old win95 boxes - or ALL win95 like it was before

currently it is mix and match and too many new windows launching

and last - i hope to god Networking is given ANOTHER overhaul.
    ONE WINDOW - everything

• User profile image
    jamie

brian.shapiro said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

good.  i like the ribbon...

i still wish office had a "turn on old menus" option without a plugin *for when you just cant find something)

but for windows or IE - or simpler products where everyone knows the ui pretty good - the ribbon might make everything quicker
    (im talking to you control panel!)

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

brian.shapiro said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, the screenshot of Paint I've seen has two (2!) tabs; "Home" and "View". What exactly is the point of that? Home seems to have most of the functionality on it. I don't know what's on "View" but there's a zoom slider at the bottom of the window so I don't know if there's much else that would go on that tab.

At least the Office team had a reason to go with such a UI (an overwhelming number of commands that needed better organization). I get the feeling that the Paint team's (is there a Paint team?) rationale was "Ribbons are cool. Lets use Ribbons."

• User profile image
    Bas

jamie said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

i still wish office had a "turn on old menus" option without a plugin *for when you just cant find something)

but for windows or IE - or simpler products where everyone knows the ui pretty good - the ribbon might make everything quicker

I definitely agree with the too many windows launching thing.. I really hope they fix that.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the control panel the way it is now. I just type whatever I'm looking for and the icon shows up immediately.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

stevo_ said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    I couldn't disagree more with you. Not allowing heavy-theming is equivalent to saying "It doesn't get any better than this"; referring to the default theme. Simply because some fools can't design proper UI doesn't mean the ability should be removed altogether. C'mon, let's be realistic here.

I, for one, would love to see the ability to customize windows a bit more.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

jamie said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

How would a ribbon UI improve the Control Panel?

• User profile image
    jamie

Bas said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    I definitely agree with the too many windows launching thing.. I really hope they fix that.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the control panel the way it is now. I just type whatever I'm looking for and the icon shows up immediately.
    thats like the people who like clicking Winflag to ... type!

point and click rules!  Smiley

we don' need no stinkin typing

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.