Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

• Oops, something didn't work.

Getting "follow" information
    Start following this thread
    Removing your "follow"
    Setting up your "follow"
  • Herbie SmithDr Herbie Horses for courses

Frank Fox said:

This bundling successfully knocked out the leading word processor (WordPerfect) ... from the market

Nonsense -- what blew WordPerfect from the market was the appalling version of WordPerfect for Windows they relesed around 1992 that was so bug-ridden it was unuseable; I had to use it for a 2 day course in 1992 where it crashed literally every 5 minutes, even when you weren't doing anything complicated.

Herbie

• Ray7Ray7

Dr Herbie said:
    Frank Fox said:
    *snip*

Nonsense -- what blew WordPerfect from the market was the appalling version of WordPerfect for Windows they relesed around 1992 that was so bug-ridden it was unuseable; I had to use it for a 2 day course in 1992 where it crashed literally every 5 minutes, even when you weren't doing anything complicated.

Herbie
    I remember it well.

WordPerfect mistakenly believed that their word processor alone was enough to keep the world using DOS. By the time they realised that Windows was the future, they had to rush out a half-baked weird semi-GUI mutant that I had great trouble getting to start up.

Much of Microsoft's success is down to the howling foul-ups made by the competition. (IBM not having a clue how to sell OS/2 and Apple beleiving that they could flog a desktop to Joe Public for a the price of a car.)

• JChung2006JChung2006

Apple's not terribly threatening compared to Google, in my opinion. Sure, iPods are kicking Zune's *, but they had a large headstart in terms of marketshare and mindshare. WinMo still has iPhone beat for marketshare though obviously iPhones have captured everybody's fancy. Google has more potential to disrupt Microsoft than Apple does.

Ultimately, Microsoft is its own worst enemy -- the complacency that comes with lack of real competition, the overhead and culture that comes with a very large corporation (90+K strong last I checked), and the inability to bring truly compelling products to market is more devastating than anything Apple or Google does. And when we do a great job, we have to outdo ourselves with the next release, something that's become a bit of a challenge lately now that Moore's Law has shifted gears a bit, and we've released umpteen versions of Windows and Office.

• Ray7Ray7

harumscarum said:

Since when do you need a web browser to download things. Why not just have a screen on the install to select a browser.

The browser has been the most popular way to download stuff for some time now. I can't even remember how I got hold of my first brower, but I think that it was already installed on the machine that landed on my desk ... Smiley

harumscarum said:

MS is still a the king of the desktop OS and as long as they continue to leverage it to include their own software they will be perceived as evil.

As long as they don't stop me running whatever I want to run), then why should I care what they stick on the machine. Disk space is cheap; I can install half a dozen browsers if I want to.

If they prevent me running stuff, then we have a problem (like Apple and that podcasting app).

• Alexei PavlovBlackTiger If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.

There is only one "evil empire"! And this is ADOBEe.

• Thread Closed

This thread is kinda stale and has been closed but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
    or Contact Us and let us know.