Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

No more Seinfeld ads?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wisemx
  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    It's a shame that they are ending this experiment so early.  Microsoft rarely gives up on a 1.0 product.  I've even goofed around the office flexing my conquistadors.

  • User profile image
    tfraser

    There will still be more ads, though probably no more Seinfeld. That's a shame because I was starting to like the Bill and Jerry combination, however The New York Times reported on where the campaign is going next and it sounds like it will get even more interesting.

    For those who don't read the article, among other things they are going to start turning the Get a Mac advertisements back on Apple by seizing the PC character and using him to promote Windows. Judging by the picture accompanying the article I'm guessing that there must have been some human cloning going on to get someone that looks that similar to John Hodgman.

    I think Apple could start feeling some pressure from this since from what I have heard most people already like the PC character more than the Mac.

    Edit 1: The article also mentions that up to 60 Microsoft employees will be featuring in the upcoming ads. Does this mean we could see someone from the EvNet team on television soon?

  • User profile image
    Minh

    tfraser said:
    There will still be more ads, though probably no more Seinfeld. That's a shame because I was starting to like the Bill and Jerry combination, however The New York Times reported on where the campaign is going next and it sounds like it will get even more interesting.

    For those who don't read the article, among other things they are going to start turning the Get a Mac advertisements back on Apple by seizing the PC character and using him to promote Windows. Judging by the picture accompanying the article I'm guessing that there must have been some human cloning going on to get someone that looks that similar to John Hodgman.

    I think Apple could start feeling some pressure from this since from what I have heard most people already like the PC character more than the Mac.

    Edit 1: The article also mentions that up to 60 Microsoft employees will be featuring in the upcoming ads. Does this mean we could see someone from the EvNet team on television soon?
    I say give the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" dude a second chance. So he does a little weed, but he's clean now. MS can both sell Windows and teach kids to say "no" to drugs!

    C'mon!

    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/consuminginterests/blog/Steve_Dell_Ad.jpg

  • User profile image
    jeffsand

    Minh said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    I say give the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" dude a second chance. So he does a little weed, but he's clean now. MS can both sell Windows and teach kids to say "no" to drugs!

    C'mon!

    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/consuminginterests/blog/Steve_Dell_Ad.jpg
    More information over on the NYT site. Stay tuned, should be fun to watch.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    jeffsand said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    More information over on the NYT site. Stay tuned, should be fun to watch.
    Nice... Smiley

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    littleguru said:
    jeffsand said:
    *snip*
    Nice... Smiley


    (image by Long Zheng, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.)

  • User profile image
    Bass

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*


    (image by Long Zheng, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.)
    I think Charles is in there (on the bottom row). And who is the naked man who runs Linux? And why are the pirate and the ninja not fighting each other?

  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

    Bass said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    I think Charles is in there (on the bottom row). And who is the naked man who runs Linux? And why are the pirate and the ninja not fighting each other?
    See that woman by the pirate? That's his wife--she doesn't like him fighting with the ninja

  • User profile image
    jeffsand

    Bass said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    I think Charles is in there (on the bottom row). And who is the naked man who runs Linux? And why are the pirate and the ninja not fighting each other?
    Yup, that's Charles and for some reason I am always shown wearing a Hawaiian shirt and moustache, no goatee. Smiley

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Nice!!
    i wait new spot

    ps. this AD go in the world or only in US ?

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Dovella said:
    Nice!!
    i wait new spot

    ps. this AD go in the world or only in US ?

    There's a bit of news about the next ad over at New York Times.

    Apparently, they're going to take the Apple commercials head on ....




    ... and even have their own lookalike character.




    I have a very,very bad feeling about this ....

    I think it would be a mistake to get into a p***ing match with Apple. They'll lose.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    There's a bit of news about the next ad over at New York Times.

    Apparently, they're going to take the Apple commercials head on ....




    ... and even have their own lookalike character.




    I have a very,very bad feeling about this ....

    I think it would be a mistake to get into a p***ing match with Apple. They'll lose.
    Well, they're screwed. The good thing they had over the Apple ads was that they were above them. When they're taking them head-on, they'll just lose. Best forget about the Windows brand now, you're burying it.

    And what kind of advertising 'phase' consists of two small ads aired within a week or something?
    "Yeah, it's weird, but this is just the introduction to a series.... that consists of one ad. Haha, gotcha."

    Why do you insist on just destroying your money, Microsoft? Awful Live apps, awful Vista ads, a multimillion dollar ad campaign that gets binned after two ads... WTF, guys? You're not even trying to compete anymore.

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Bas said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Well, they're screwed. The good thing they had over the Apple ads was that they were above them. When they're taking them head-on, they'll just lose. Best forget about the Windows brand now, you're burying it.

    And what kind of advertising 'phase' consists of two small ads aired within a week or something?
    "Yeah, it's weird, but this is just the introduction to a series.... that consists of one ad. Haha, gotcha."

    Why do you insist on just destroying your money, Microsoft? Awful Live apps, awful Vista ads, a multimillion dollar ad campaign that gets binned after two ads... WTF, guys? You're not even trying to compete anymore.
    Well, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

    I don't know why the Seinfield ads were pulled after just two; MS says that this was part of the grand plan, but the general feeling is that they lost their nerve after they received negative comments. But if MS is going to react like this to negative comments in the blogsphere, then they may as well close down the Windows division and just write software for the Mac platform.

    By the looks of it, these new ads are playing directly into Apple's hands.

    They've decided to jump into the mud where Apple can hold Microsoft's head under for a few years until it stops moving.

    There is no way, that MS can win against Apple in the fanboy arena. No way. This is going to be a blood bath that will probably get Apple up to 20% of the installed base without even trying.

    Have to hand it to Jobs. He knows how consumers think and how his competitors will react. As MS is about to prove, this is a pretty unbeatable combination ....


  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Your reasoning is squalor,

    you should learn to comment after any event ,
    or perhaps someone among you does is an apprentice of Nostredamus?


    "Ray7
    There is no way, that MS can win against Apple in the fanboy arena. No way. This is going to be a blood bath that will probably get Apple up to 20% of the installed base without even trying."

    were you have see this movie?

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Dovella said:

    Your reasoning is squalor,


    'scuse me? .... Smiley

    Dovella said:

    you should learn to comment after any event ,
    or perhaps someone among you does is an apprentice of Nostredamus?


    But if I wait that long, it'll be too late.

    Dovella said:

    "Ray7
    There is no way, that MS can win against Apple in the fanboy arena. No way. This is going to be a blood bath that will probably get Apple up to 20% of the installed base without even trying."

    were you have see this movie?


    Well, I take your point ... let's just sit back and watch what happens; though I have a feeling that some scenes may be distressing to Vista fans ... :-/

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*


    Well, I take your point ... let's just sit back and watch what happens; though I have a feeling that some scenes may be distressing to Vista fans ... :-/

    So far, the scenes of pain I have seen only for Mac fun.

  • User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

    Dovella said:
    Your reasoning is squalor,
    you should learn to comment after any event ,
    or perhaps someone among you does is an apprentice of Nostredamus?


    "Ray7
    There is no way, that MS can win against Apple in the fanboy arena. No way. This is going to be a blood bath that will probably get Apple up to 20% of the installed base without even trying."

    were you have see this movie?
    Dovella stop - please think for a minute before you write. Especially when you call someone's reasoning 'squalor'. Next time please supply your stance with arguments. We don't like vapidity - straight negaton is DUMB.

    So, to help Ray's case - 20% is reasonable. It's all about recognition - if Microsoft recoginizes Apple as a threat and then publicly admit this in TV ads it will mean straight message to consumers: "you have an option". 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.