Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

No more Seinfeld ads?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

Thank god.

Those adverts were awful. They aren't funny and made little sense. They also didn't mention the product or brand once in the entire thing. They're perhaps the worse adverts of all time.

Someone should be fired.

• User profile image
    Ray7

RoyalSchrubber said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Dovella stop - please think for a minute before you write. Especially when you call someone's reasoning 'squalor'. Next time please supply your stance with arguments. We don't like vapidity - straight negaton is DUMB.

So, to help Ray's case - 20% is reasonable. It's all about recognition - if Microsoft recoginizes Apple as a threat and then publicly admit this in TV ads it will mean straight message to consumers: "you have an option". 
    Bang, there it is.

I couldn't have said it better myself. That is precisely why Apple wants this fight.

They run these ads and it tells people that Microsoft sees Apple as a viable alternative.

And next time I'm in a meeting and someone says something I disagree with, I'm going to stand up, slam both fists into the desk and scream:

'Your reasoning is squalor'

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

ManipUni said:
    Thank god.

Those adverts were awful. They aren't funny and made little sense. They also didn't mention the product or brand once in the entire thing. They're perhaps the worse adverts of all time.

Someone should be fired.
    "They aren't funny and made little sense. "
    I don't think they need to be funny. Situational humor for the masses wouln't fit well with Microsoft, they have to appear smart - so abstract humor. 

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

JoshRoss said:
    It's a shame that they are ending this experiment so early.  Microsoft rarely gives up on a 1.0 product.  I've even goofed around the office flexing my conquistadors.
    (imho) You didn't get it. It's "apology". Some sort of "Yes, we were complete idiots. But now...". We'll see next "proper" ads... This "apology" was a part of campaign. Hopefully...

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dovella

RoyalSchrubber said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Dovella stop - please think for a minute before you write. Especially when you call someone's reasoning 'squalor'. Next time please supply your stance with arguments. We don't like vapidity - straight negaton is DUMB.

So, to help Ray's case - 20% is reasonable. It's all about recognition - if Microsoft recoginizes Apple as a threat and then publicly admit this in TV ads it will mean straight message to consumers: "you have an option". 

Similar statements for  me are pure squalor!

I do not know why, I see a game where the winner is the person who makes fewer points.

• User profile image
    matthews

JoshRoss said:
    It's a shame that they are ending this experiment so early.  Microsoft rarely gives up on a 1.0 product.  I've even goofed around the office flexing my conquistadors.
    It kinda makes sense... the first two ads were all about Bill and Jerry reconnecting with "real people"; in a sense that is what Microsoft is aiming to do. I guess as an introduction it's not a bad strategy, but I'd still like to see more ads with the two paired.

• User profile image
    stevo_

matthews said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*
    It kinda makes sense... the first two ads were all about Bill and Jerry reconnecting with "real people"; in a sense that is what Microsoft is aiming to do. I guess as an introduction it's not a bad strategy, but I'd still like to see more ads with the two paired.
    I really doubt they got pulled, do you realize how much work goes into each ad and how long ago they were probably made. If they are moving onto something else then that was decided way way way before people saw these ones..

I'll wait and see what happens and see if its any good vs analysing thin air..

• User profile image
    Bas

stevo_ said:
    matthews said:
    *snip*
    I really doubt they got pulled, do you realize how much work goes into each ad and how long ago they were probably made. If they are moving onto something else then that was decided way way way before people saw these ones..

I'll wait and see what happens and see if its any good vs analysing thin air..

So what was the whole "No wait guys, the first one is just the introduction to a series" thing about? A series of one?

• User profile image
    tfraser

Ray7 said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Well, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

I don't know why the Seinfield ads were pulled after just two; MS says that this was part of the grand plan, but the general feeling is that they lost their nerve after they received negative comments. But if MS is going to react like this to negative comments in the blogsphere, then they may as well close down the Windows division and just write software for the Mac platform.

By the looks of it, these new ads are playing directly into Apple's hands.

They've decided to jump into the mud where Apple can hold Microsoft's head under for a few years until it stops moving.

There is no way, that MS can win against Apple in the fanboy arena. No way. This is going to be a blood bath that will probably get Apple up to 20% of the installed base without even trying.

Have to hand it to Jobs. He knows how consumers think and how his competitors will react. As MS is about to prove, this is a pretty unbeatable combination ....

I understand your thinking, but at the same time I'm also conscious that Microsoft can't stand around doing nothing while the Get a Mac ads continue to run.

No matter how you interpret the actual commercials the fact is that Apple is actively selling itself to consumers while tearing into Microsoft's reputation. The average customer (who doesn't know much about computing) will no doubt just play along with this unless they're also provided with the alternative view from Microsoft.

Your prediction would probably be realised if all users had a solid understanding of the industry but fortunately (for Microsoft) that isn't the case.

• User profile image
    Jason I

So, what exactly did Microsoft spend the 300 million dollars on?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Dovella said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

Similar statements for  me are pure squalor!

I do not know why, I see a game where the winner is the person who makes fewer points.
    Yeah the problem is that you only read the sentence you highlighted.

The important part was that MS should not give up on what was an innovative and amusing line of ads (much better than the Get a Mac stuff), just because a few Apple-obssessed bloggers don't think they'll work.

Does that make it clearer for you?

• User profile image
    Dovella

Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

The important part was that MS should not give up on what was an innovative and amusing line of ads (much better than the Get a Mac stuff), just because a few Apple-obssessed bloggers don't think they'll work.

probably the error arises in my way of reading things. I apologise if this is the inconvenience.

• User profile image
    Dovella

tfraser said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    I understand your thinking, but at the same time I'm also conscious that Microsoft can't stand around doing nothing while the Get a Mac ads continue to run.

No matter how you interpret the actual commercials the fact is that Apple is actively selling itself to consumers while tearing into Microsoft's reputation. The average customer (who doesn't know much about computing) will no doubt just play along with this unless they're also provided with the alternative view from Microsoft.

Your prediction would probably be realised if all users had a solid understanding of the industry but fortunately (for Microsoft) that isn't the case.
    At this moment have  1000 Eur to thrown,

I have 3 PC

1st  Intel quad core 9550 , 8gb Ram Nvidia 8800 GTX on Mb Asus p5n 650 SLI.   on monitor Dell Ultrasharp  27 in DVi S-Pva , Vista x 64 Ultimate Sp1

2nd  Notebook Dell XPS  with Vista Ultima x86  sp1

3  PC made in 2002/3 with

Asus p4p800  Intel P IV 2,4 ghz 1,5 gb ddr 400 and Nvidia 7600 GS   Vista Ultimate x86  SP1  (update to leater Ram and Gpu) on Acer Monitor

I have Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6.1

in every one of these PCs do not have the slightest problem ,

Using photoshop without problems, do video editing without problems, listening to music without problems, use the Internet without problems ,
    I synced all my mail into and out smoothly with Live (free)
    I synced my mobile without problem
    use the best Open Source software without problems
    I have a streaming video throughout my house that is extraordinary
    Play the best game without problems
    I have all software available in the world
    I decide if I change GPU, CPu, Ram, Mb etc.

I said as the first i have  1000 Eur to thrown,

damn me 1 reason to get a Mac

one reason

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dovella said:
    tfraser said:
    *snip*
    At this moment have  1000 Eur to thrown,

I have 3 PC

1st  Intel quad core 9550 , 8gb Ram Nvidia 8800 GTX on Mb Asus p5n 650 SLI.   on monitor Dell Ultrasharp  27 in DVi S-Pva , Vista x 64 Ultimate Sp1

2nd  Notebook Dell XPS  with Vista Ultima x86  sp1

3  PC made in 2002/3 with

Asus p4p800  Intel P IV 2,4 ghz 1,5 gb ddr 400 and Nvidia 7600 GS   Vista Ultimate x86  SP1  (update to leater Ram and Gpu) on Acer Monitor

I have Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6.1

in every one of these PCs do not have the slightest problem ,

Using photoshop without problems, do video editing without problems, listening to music without problems, use the Internet without problems ,
    I synced all my mail into and out smoothly with Live (free)
    I synced my mobile without problem
    use the best Open Source software without problems
    I have a streaming video throughout my house that is extraordinary
    Play the best game without problems
    I have all software available in the world
    I decide if I change GPU, CPu, Ram, Mb etc.

I said as the first i have  1000 Eur to thrown,

damn me 1 reason to get a Mac

one reason

I don't believe you don't have problems; if only because I probably have the same laptop, and the nvidia drivers are buggy.

It doesn't help that windows doesn't seem to keep enough GDI resources free sometimes; so when the laptop comes out of suspend the login window doesn't get displayed. Oops.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

blowdart said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    I don't believe you don't have problems; if only because I probably have the same laptop, and the nvidia drivers are buggy.

It doesn't help that windows doesn't seem to keep enough GDI resources free sometimes; so when the laptop comes out of suspend the login window doesn't get displayed. Oops.
    Unfortunately for you I also have an XPS (M1330) and have never had any of the troubles you described. Granted I don't play games on it, so the nVidia drivers don't get much chance to cause trouble.

The only problem I've had with it is that if you create an ad-hoc wireless network and then go into sleep mode without first disconnecting the network, the wireless driver will BSOD when the system resumes.

• User profile image
    Dovella

blowdart said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

Barry i use Driver form Laptopvideotogo

This version   177.98 Vista x86       This modded info

but also the first in any case I had problems
    probably the Nvidia defect is random (apple inclused)

on the contrary in Italy many problems were encountered with monitors grainy (samsung)
    i have Lg

this is Italian official thread of Dell xps 1530

(you can use google translate , live, bablefish etc)

0 problem with Nvidia Gpu
    1000 problem with monitor grainy

• User profile image
    Bass

Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

Who knows maybe they can pull this off. I really doubt it but who knows? There is probably going to be a ninja chicken involved, I think there is a ninja chicken in every ad by this ad agency. I think the public can really relate to that.

• User profile image
    wisemx

Microsoft Tears Down the Walls for a Better View
    REDMOND, Wash. — Sept. 18, 2008 — For the past two weeks, millions of people have watched the series of Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld television ads with the Windows logo at the end and wondered: “What’s next?” http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/windows/featureStories.aspx?story=978e1fd8-489c-4c63-8e80-717b0193684a

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.