Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

No more Seinfeld ads?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Turbodad said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    You call this cool? Many people, me included, once more will have proof that Microsoft cannot come up with any new ideas, totally lacks any creativity, has no taste and relies on Apple being their "research department". You say cool, I say pathetic.
    The point of the whole ad campaign seems to be that Bill and Jerry go around trying to find out how to connect with average PC users.. and then in the end they discover they are average PC users, which leads into the whole 'im a pc' campaign.

If they did cut the introductory ads short I think thats a bad idea , I think people would have got the point if it ran through, the people who are complaining are trying to second guess the advertising campaign

• User profile image
    wisemx

Turbodad said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    You call this cool? Many people, me included, once more will have proof that Microsoft cannot come up with any new ideas, totally lacks any creativity, has no taste and relies on Apple being their "research department". You say cool, I say pathetic.
    Yes I find it very cool.
    Why so bitter?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I saw the new ads at the company meeting in Safeco Field today and liked them except for the John Hodgman clone.  I thought the Gates-Seinfeld skits were funny but didn't like them as ads.

• User profile image
    Turbodad

wisemx said:
    Turbodad said:
    *snip*
    Yes I find it very cool.
    Why so bitter?
    By modeling their new ads on Apple's campaign (and even coming up with a Hodgman clone) Microsoft firmly admitted defeat. You don't run a winning ad campaign like this.

As for bitterness, I guess I feel for the fellow developers at Microsoft. There are many extremely talented and creative engineers at MS, but imagine how bitter they must be feeling right now as they see their genuine efforts being turned into tuЯd by hordes of incompetent nincompoops in MS marketing and management.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Turbodad said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    By modeling their new ads on Apple's campaign (and even coming up with a Hodgman clone) Microsoft firmly admitted defeat. You don't run a winning ad campaign like this.

As for bitterness, I guess I feel for the fellow developers at Microsoft. There are many extremely talented and creative engineers at MS, but imagine how bitter they must be feeling right now as they see their genuine efforts being turned into tuЯd by hordes of incompetent nincompoops in MS marketing and management.

Wow, I actually really liked the new tv ad.

• User profile image
    scout

Turbodad said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*

What's a winning ad? Yes this ad is a response to the apple ad. The whole campaign is the respone to the apple ad. Is the responsive ad automatically make it the losing ad? No matter what MS do with their ad, the apple ad will always stick to people's head (hate or love). So if MS can make the ad sticks, they have a winning ad..not because it's the responsive ad, but because it sticks...

As for the MS engineer being bitter...I think they bitter because of the apple ads, not MS'

• User profile image
    wisemx
  • User profile image
    androidi

wisemx said:

In any case it's looking quite half-as*ed to first do something that appears original and then move to copy the idea from Apple. Though in retrospect the whole Seinfeld thing wasn't that original after all it was something as dumb you'd have in that show. Maybe the whole strategy is to do one seemingly dumb thing after another to keep people talking.

Now if there was some defending of Vista vs OS X going on atleast in tech circles I can safely say it started way beyond these ads as people got tired of the increasing amount of mac zealots ravings as they did with the penguin zealots before.

• User profile image
    wisemx

androidi said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*

In any case it's looking quite half-as*ed to first do something that appears original and then move to copy the idea from Apple. Though in retrospect the whole Seinfeld thing wasn't that original after all it was something as dumb you'd have in that show. Maybe the whole strategy is to do one seemingly dumb thing after another to keep people talking.

Now if there was some defending of Vista vs OS X going on atleast in tech circles I can safely say it started way beyond these ads as people got tired of the increasing amount of mac zealots ravings as they did with the penguin zealots before.

I kinda like the child-like feel to the whole thing.
    We are after all no diferent than little kids tossing rocks at each other. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Jason I

androidi said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*

I disagree with this.

Microsoft actually did something amazing with the "I'm a PC" ads. It was well known that the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads from Apple severely hurt Microsoft's image. It also hurt PC sales dramatically. But, with Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads, they put an end to the Mac/PC commercials (have you seen one on TV lately?). Not only did they address the criticisms from Apple, portaying PC users as dolts, but turned the accusations on its head. "Hey, I'm a PC, and I'm not a dorky John Hodgman! I'm a real person!". Best of all, Microsoft didn't stoop to Apple's level: exagerating issues and speaking half-truths (in most cases, but not all).

I'm very impressed with the I'm a PC campaign, although they should have done this a year ago.

Although, I actually grew to like the seinfeld commercials too.

• User profile image
    wisemx

Jason I said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*

I disagree with this.

Microsoft actually did something amazing with the "I'm a PC" ads. It was well known that the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads from Apple severely hurt Microsoft's image. It also hurt PC sales dramatically. But, with Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads, they put an end to the Mac/PC commercials (have you seen one on TV lately?). Not only did they address the criticisms from Apple, portaying PC users as dolts, but turned the accusations on its head. "Hey, I'm a PC, and I'm not a dorky John Hodgman! I'm a real person!". Best of all, Microsoft didn't stoop to Apple's level: exagerating issues and speaking half-truths (in most cases, but not all).

I'm very impressed with the I'm a PC campaign, although they should have done this a year ago.

Although, I actually grew to like the seinfeld commercials too.

Me 2...I never liked Seinfeld comedy in the past but these ads are cool.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.